Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that there has been some speculation that since this new edition game is app based that we will be dependent on FFG to release new material for the game. To be honest, I think that it is exceedingly likely that FFG will produce quite a lot of new material and I expect on a pretty regular basis. My initial thoughts though, were that it would not be possible to have the rich source of fan based material that can be found in the 1st edition. However, I have begun to feel more optimistic on that front and it is possible that the 2nd edition might be an even better environment for authoring such scenarios.

Possibly the best case is if FFG released some kind of authoring plug-in to their own app, to allow interested parties to create their own scenarios to run from within it. While this might be seen as competition to their own app based scenarios, I think that it would be beneficial for FFG as it would maintain interest in the physical game beyond that generated by FFGs own content and consequently help sales. It might also work to reassure those who are reluctant to purchase the 2nd edition because it might tie them to an ultimately limited resource. There may also be potential for FFG to monetize such a system by providing access to a store front for a nominal fee, similar to iTunes or Google Play, although obviously on a smaller scale.

Even if FFG do not go down this route, there is always the possibility that a fan based app similar to FFGs could be produced. Probably not of the same quality as FFGs, and avoiding the same artwork etc. for copyright reasons, but still utilising the physical game components. I would hope that FFG would not be hostile to this, and I feel that for similar reasons outlined above that it would be beneficial to them. At first sight producing such an app might seem daunting but there are a number of app authoring tools out there and I am sure that there are quite a few people on BGG capable of such a project. What would be nice to see would be a co-operative effort of people marrying skills in app authoring and scenario writing together.

So I feel that there is cause for a good deal of optimism in how this 2nd edition of MoM might work as a sandbox system for production of interesting scenarios, and for ways in which physical games and components could work together to produce a better gaming experience. The future's bright, the future's Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The possibility of lacking (or making it more limited) fan made content scenarios in the only part I dislike of this new app enhanced board game era we are entering in.

There is always the possibility of a new fan made app as you say, but it would have to fight against quite a good amount of limitations like you say. There will be attempts at it, I am sure of that.

A scenario editor? That would be the best possible news, but we have no previous experience to base this speculation on, regarding FFG products, at least none I am aware of. There are pros and cons to it, but for us customers it would definitely mean the real endless replayability of the game we have been lured with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
The possibility of lacking (or making it more limited) fan made content scenarios in the only part I dislike of this new app enhanced board game era we are entering in.

There is always the possibility of a new fan made app as you say, but it would have to fight against quite a good amount of limitations like you say. There will be attempts at it, I am sure of that.

A scenario editor? That would be the best possible news, but we have no previous experience to base this speculation on, regarding FFG products, at least none I am aware of. There are pros and cons to it, but for us customers it would definitely mean the real endless replayability of the game we have been lured with.

Well, there's the scenario editor for Descent, though that is obviously just for the old style quests that were just text and a map.

A scenario editor for MoM would be quite a complex thing. It's not just a matter of making a map and writing some flavour text. You would have to set every single event dependency manually. I'm not 100% convinced it's something that most people could easily use, even if they released a 100 page user guide to go with it.

Additionally, they would have to include some way for you to test the scenario. In the FFG offices, they can just include the scenario by re-building the app and testing it on their devices, but with fan-made scenarios there would have to be a whole platform built just for scenario testing.

Then what does FFG do with the finished scenarios? Publish them all, even the ones that don't work very well? Vet them first? Will they all be free? If so, why would anyone pay for the official scenarios?

Finally, all the work that would be needed to create this wouldn't be free, so would FFG charge people for the scenario editor? Would people actually buy it if it cost money?

Although I'd love to see such a thing, I think the time, money and obstacles involved make it not really worth their while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I guess if you have 1e and all the keeper stuff still you could make new content with the new components and old rules. But I know that isn't a suitable alternative to making a proper 2e scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

A scenario editor for MoM would be quite a complex thing. It's not just a matter of making a map and writing some flavour text. You would have to set every single event dependency manually. I'm not 100% convinced it's something that most people could easily use, even if they released a 100 page user guide to go with it.

Additionally, they would have to include some way for you to test the scenario. In the FFG offices, they can just include the scenario by re-building the app and testing it on their devices, but with fan-made scenarios there would have to be a whole platform built just for scenario testing.

Yes, it would not be an easy thing to use, but way easier than making a whole new app from scratch. Also, 1st Edition scenarios are not easy to design and make them work either, and you and I know there are some really good ones out there.

bleached_lizard wrote:

Then what does FFG do with the finished scenarios? Publish them all, even the ones that don't work very well? Vet them first? Will they all be free? If so, why would anyone pay for the official scenarios?

Finally, all the work that would be needed to create this wouldn't be free, so would FFG charge people for the scenario editor? Would people actually buy it if it cost money?

Of course FFG would just provide the tool to make them and the app support to make them available to everyone. The content, as any fan based content, is in the hands of fans, including the testing. People would have to rely on every fan designer abilities, and then with a simple score system for example you can sort out the good from the not so good. This part already exist, for many games, and works wonderfully as a self imposed quality control.

They would need to be free for many legal reasons amongst other things, yes, and there is the part where FFG needs to calculate the difference between the cost of making such an editor and the profit of the increased sales it would provide. Its just a one time cost for them though, since the content would be freely provided by the fan base.

The official scenarios, as I am assuming will probably be the case anyway, will be released together with the game expansions, so no harm for the business on that regard, quite the contrary. My nose tells me that FFG probably prefers to design and manufacture board game pieces than scenarios and campaigns, which are probably more expensive to make correctly as they require a good ammount of testing and quality control, besides a good creative force. Is something more difficult and expensive to mass produce, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The official scenarios, as I am assuming will probably be the case anyway, will be released together with the game expansions, so no harm for the business on that regard, quite the contrary. My nose tells me that FFG probably prefers to design and manufacture board game pieces than scenarios and campaigns, which are probably more expensive to make correctly as they require a good amount of testing and quality control, besides a good creative force. Is something more difficult and expensive to mass produce, so to speak.

I agree that FFG will most likely concentrate on the app as a device to enhance physical board game sales, after all pure game apps are a huge market and while FFG might be a big player in the board game arena they would be tiny in the larger PC/Android/iOS one. I think they will follow a similar path to 1st edition with several app scenarios being released with physical component expansions. Along side those would be smaller, cheaper one-off apps being released intermittently, similar to the 1st edition print on demand blister packs. As in the 1st edition I think there will be a niche for fan based scenarios, provided there is a suitable authoring and presentation system, either from FFG or written by enthusiasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
I guess if you have 1e and all the keeper stuff still you could make new content with the new components and old rules. But I know that isn't a suitable alternative to making a proper 2e scenario.

Admittedly this is all pretty speculative, considering the game hasn't been released yet and we haven't yet really explored the app. However, I don't think there is any harm in speculating, that one from some source might become available in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Fair comment, and creating scenarios wouldn't be for everyone but I suspect that there would be enough people out there willing to undertake such things. For example VASSAL authoring is hardly the simplest activity but it has managed to thrive.

I am pretty sure that FFG have some sort of authoring system written in order to produce their own scenarios, and I agree that it is a moot point on whether they would be willing to release it to a wider audience but we can live in hope.

Quote:
If so, why would anyone pay for the official scenarios?

Given the resources FFG have at their disposal to both author and, as you point out, test scenarios theirs would be the gold standard for scenario production and would probably be a first choice for many people. For example they could afford to obtain proper voice actors for narration of scenarios. I suppose that in the end it comes down to whether FFG sees the apps a major revenue source in themselves or as a way of giving people the incentive to buy the physical games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
bleached_lizard wrote:

This is the impression I get as well. From having gone through most of the scenarios in the map, I can safely draw a few conclusions: one, a specific tile can only have certain neighbors; two, that there are triggers within the scenarios, i.e., if an event isn't addressed in X number of turns, then another event will occur. To compound this, some scenarios have NPCs. There's got to be some coded behaviors for the NPCs as well. And then there's scenario-specific items. We're talking a lot of different triggers here.

A scenario editor is a nice idea, but if I'm the person deciding whether it's viable, I say no. A scenario, if it's not coded properly, will break the app. I would rather control my code 100%. My programmers, who already know the rules, can code and test the scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
As the saying goes: There are two chances of this happening, slim and none.

I personally think there's absolutely no chance that FFG will ever release a self-authoring plug-in or patch, there's just too many reasons why it would bite FFG in the bum if they did so.

Here's some of the reasons why I don't think it will happen.

I'm pretty sure the app would have to be rewritten from scratch to allow external files to be accessed. I suspect there would also be a need for such files to have some form of check to be applied to them to ensure they conformed to some sort of standard so they don't break the app immediately. It would also suggest that FFG would have to maintain two apps instead of one.

Who would own the rights to the new data? What happens if someone sells the data files for a new scenario? This just seems to open up a new can'o'worms for FFG.

If a new scenario doesn't work then who's responsibility is it to fix it. I'm sure FFG will get a lot of the flack and complaints when it would mostly have nothing to do with them. What happens if it only works on certain platforms, who's job is it to try and get it working? Again, it's going to be FFG who get a lot of the flack.

What happens if the fan written scenario is bad? I'm sure FFG will get the "blame" for allowing such rubbish to be released.

If FFG plan to sell new content in the future (instead of releasing it for free), then it would surely cut into their sales if fan-content was made available for free.

While Descent does have the Quest Vault, I think there's a big difference between Descent and MoM in terms of the way they've been presented and marketed. Apart from some of the official Descent QV material, I don't think any of the fan-made QV releases have really made much of an inroad to the Descent playing public. Releasing downloading data files (or whatever form the MoM add-on modules would take) is another matter.

All in all, I think FFG would just put themselves in a losing position if they did release something like this for MoM. Yes, it would be nice but I just don't see it happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I personally think there's absolutely no chance that FFG will ever release a self-authoring plug-in or patch, there's just too many reasons why it would bite FFG in the bum if they did so.

As said, this is not true. If the demand is high enough, we could get a scenario editor. Again: start a petition here and on FFG site, collect names, when enough are collected mail the link to FFG customer service (I know because I've asked, and this is the answer that they gave me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Acererak wrote:

Well, there's the scenario editor for Descent, though that is obviously just for the old style quests that were just text and a map.

Although I'd love to see such a thing, I think the time, money and obstacles involved make it not really worth their while.

Do you play modern PC games? Editors and mods are not uncommon, especially on Steam (one of many places our app resides).

That said, it would be a logistical hurdle for them to provide community support equally across all platforms. Community mods aren't really a thing on Android or iOS to my knowledge, and this imbalance is likely why we'll never see it.

That said, if this was PC centric, and if FFG did their homework before class, the editor they use to create the content could very well be the editor they give to the community (many PC game studios take this approach), so the development costs are baked into the original R&D. This allows them 1) to have an excuse to make a tight and clean interface for design (i.e. easier on them to generate new content), and helps in the marketing for the title (another bullet point in the favor of the game).

Scarlet Witch wrote:
xris wrote:

As said, this is not true. If the demand is high enough, we could get a scenario editor. Again: start a petition here and on FFG site, collect names, when enough are collected mail the link to FFG customer service (I know because I've asked, and this is the answer that they gave me)

Perhaps. I like your initiative.

That said, the fact this exists across three separate platforms makes me doubtful -- iOS and Android don't normally have mods or editors, and I think there is a reason for this. I've never seen an editor of this type that lived on PC, but would compile a package intended for Android or iOS, and to imagine somebody doing the editing on their mobile device alone seems unrealistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
That said, the fact this exists across three separate platforms makes me doubtful -- iOS and Android don't normally have mods or editors, and I think there is a reason for this. I've never seen an editor of this type that lived on PC, but would compile a package intended for Android or iOS, and to imagine somebody doing the editing on their mobile device alone seems unrealistic.

So, you're doubtful of the answer I received by one of the developers of the game? *puzzled*

In any case, trying shouldn't hurt, and certainly could result in something that won't be produced by staying here and pondering about the feasibility of the thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Scarlet Witch wrote:
So, you're doubtful of the answer I received by one of the developers of the game? *puzzled*

I suspect one of the developers of the game doesn't know the answer either and might well welcome a tool to introduce new fan-made scenarios just as much as we do.

I also suspect that one of the developers of the game wouldn't be in the position to green light such a project either. That would most likely come down to someone higher up if the FFG management / marketing team as well as from someone in the App development / management / marketing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Anarchosyn wrote:

An editor would only have to live on a PC or a Mac, IMO. The question is how the scenarios are structured at this point. If they exist as, say, XML config files, so much easier. As you mention, however, there's the question of how to move a scenario file or package from a PC to, say, an iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

I suspect one of the developers of the game doesn't know the answer either and might well welcome a tool to introduce new fan-made scenarios just as much as we do.

I also suspect that one of the developers of the game wouldn't be in the position to green light such a project either. That would most likely come down to someone higher up if the FFG management / marketing team as well as from someone in the App development / management / marketing team.

Exactly. And if you check my previous post I said we could have not we will have. This means that there must be enough demand to have the upper floors consider the opportunity, but we still need to start the process in the way it was suggested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
xris wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Exactly. And if you check my previous post I said we could have not we will have. This means that there must be enough demand to have the upper floors consider the opportunity, but we still need to start the process in the way it was suggested

I thoroughly applaud your initiative in contacting the developer and asking about this, although people have understandable doubts as to whether it will come about, as you say there is no harm in asking. I suggest we wait a little while to let the game be released and settle into peoples consciousness, so to speak and then see if there is any support from the community for such a request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

As you say there are likely reasons for this , I can think of two, one psychological and one practical. Firstly many PC type games, particularly the ones that attract modders, tend to be large, and expensive, with a long term release strategy over many years. It is worthwhile as a modder making a long term investment in time and effort to customise such games. By contrast, at least to date, most apps have tended to be small, fairly cheap, casual games and with a few exceptions designed to be played intensively for a short period but with a relatively short shelf life. However, the MoM app is somewhat different to this with an audience that will be expecting the app to be around, and more importantly actively developed in terms of content, for at least several years to come. Consequently the MoM app will, I hope, follow a different paradigm to most Android and iOS apps. One which might just have a niche for community developed scenarios.

The second reason is more practical, Android and I assume iOS apps (I am only familiar with Android) tend to have most of their content baked into a single file distributed via the relevant store. This is not to say that they are incapable of accessing external files, just that it is often not convenient to distribute them this way. So a lot depends on how FFG has written the app, and how they propose to distribute it.

If new scenarios are built into the app, downloaded in its entirety, and which grows as each new scenario is added, then developing community oriented scenarios would certainly be difficult. If, however, the app is a stable base of code with extra scenarios as external, albeit probably encrypted, files read by the base app, then things become much simpler. All that would be necessary would be something to encode the scenario files in a format which could be read by the core program, furthermore such scenarios would be effectively platform independent. So as I say a lot could depend on which path FFG have chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate that many people keep saying that new scenarios mean a new executable/app has to be built.

Not necessarily.

It should be possible to build a app so that it can work on new UGC (User Generated Content) data, potentially calling it from a centralised database (requiring network connectivity at least initially).

It's analogous to how Facebook/twitter don't need to rebuild their apps every time a new user account is created.

It may be worth looking at how steam handles mods and many MMOs handle UGC missions/scenarios/campaigns.

I know the one I wrote most with was the City of Heroes mission editor back in 2010 or so. It provided a very reasonable, user friendly and fairly flexible tool for creativity. BTW - it was created as a simplified, more player-orientated adaptation of the tool the CoH devs used to write official scenarios - so if such a tool exists internally to FFG it could provide a starting point here.

Note also, that the CoH editor had the knock-on effect that devs could pretty much stop developing run-of-the-mill missions and instead created the fancy missions that really pushed the envelope and often required new builds to support the new subsystems/tricks they had come up with. In other words, letting users create many types of mission can push the devs to create even more spectacular scenarios themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
The second reason is more practical, Android and I assume iOS apps (I am only familiar with Android) tend to have most of their content baked into a single file distributed via the relevant store. This is not to say that they are incapable of accessing external files, just that it is often not convenient to distribute them this way. So a lot depends on how FFG has written the app, and how they propose to distribute it.

An IOS app can be structured as a bundle, which is an executable and a collection of files the executable needs. Bundles are treated as single files for download purposes, but they're really directories masquerading as files--similar to "packages" on Mac OS X. On a Mac, for instance, you can right click on MyApp.app, and choose "Show Package Contents." I haven't done any IOS programming, but I imagine it's quite simple to insert/update specific files in a bundle rather than just overwriting the entire bundle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would only be looking at files in the order of a few kb in size to describe a scenario (although maybe a few mb if they included new voiceovers or images), and they could probably just be stored along with wherever each platform saves it's settings/data/etc. for the app.

That is, assuming you didn't require the app to be online to download them each time you play, which would be inconvenient in some situations.

Either way, you certainly wouldn't bake the user-generated content into the app itself, nor build & release a new version each time a community member publishes or updates a scenario.

Anyway, all speculation for now, and unlikely I feel, but it would be nice if it happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Alberth Silva Barros
Brazil
flag msg tools
An ideal fan creation tool would just ask the things that the people would want to add in the scenario. You would choose the tiles and where they would show up (the creator of the scenario would have access to all the tiles, including the ones from the 1st edition, to create the mansion layout).

After that, you would click the tiles and choose what the tile would contain from a pool of tokens, tiles, puzzles, etc.

It's not that hard to envision this... I guess we should just ask them... show the demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
As you mention, however, there's the question of how to move a scenario file or package from a PC to, say, an iPad.

If the scenarios are separate files, then they can be moved to the app's documents folder with iTunes. Similar to some other apps (videoplayers, music apps for example). Or perhaps add dropbox or iCloud support. There are ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
I addressed some of the issues raised here in this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1613311/scenario-editor

Quote:
I would love this, but I am not expecting it. From the RtL app there is a clear separation between the core programming and the data for campaigns/quests, which I assume will apply here (I'd be very surprised if they don't share the same code base).

So it certainly could be done... but there are a few issues:

1: Support. Currently the tools for making scenarios are internal. This means the they can be full of bugs, missing documentation and only work on one type of system. Releasing a tool in this state can do more harm than good and polishing it is a lot of work. Openning the code is one option, but that increases the problem with 2.

2: Control over IP. The first thing I imaging happening if these tools exist is for people to convert all existing D1E, D2E and MoM1E content over. This creates two problems:

- A) FFG can't do this themselves and charge for it.

- B) The volume of content available will be so large that charging for additional (new) content will be harder.

Now technically converting this content will be a breach of copyright and FFG could have it shut down, but then you will just annoy your fan base more than if you didn't release the tool in the first place.

3: Other IPs. Probably more relevant to D2E, given the large amount of content that can be used in quests, it wouldn't be hard to make content that is based in Warhammer, Lord of the Rings or other popular settings. This would create a problem for FFG as the content would violate other's copyright, so FFG would be hassled by the IP owners, and would again look bad if they shut this down.

So sadly I am not expecting this. I have thrown around the idea of trying to unofficially do this with the app, but I think it would be tricky to do well and keep up with the moving target. Creating an unofficial clone app would probably be a better method, but this itself is very likely to get shut down.

I would further like to add a note regarding modable games as this has been discussed a bit here. Most games are not inherently modable and need to be designed as such up front. Unity (which FFG uses) is not particularly mod friendly and is only worse with the newer versions (sad that disunity doesn't work on RtL/MoM). Having said that I think that the issues I outlined above are more significant than allowing external scenarios to be loaded.

Lastly, some conversations I have had regarding REDACTED have been pretty clear than FFGs development team has a huge work load and even very simple changes are a big push to get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
BruceLGL wrote:
I addressed some of the issues raised here in this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1613311/scenario-editor

Quote:
I would love this, but I am not expecting it. From the RtL app there is a clear separation between the core programming and the data for campaigns/quests, which I assume will apply here (I'd be very surprised if they don't share the same code base).

So it certainly could be done... but there are a few issues:

1: Support. Currently the tools for making scenarios are internal. This means the they can be full of bugs, missing documentation and only work on one type of system. Releasing a tool in this state can do more harm than good and polishing it is a lot of work. Openning the code is one option, but that increases the problem with 2.

2: Control over IP. The first thing I imaging happening if these tools exist is for people to convert all existing D1E, D2E and MoM1E content over. This creates two problems:

- A) FFG can't do this themselves and charge for it.

- B) The volume of content available will be so large that charging for additional (new) content will be harder.

Now technically converting this content will be a breach of copyright and FFG could have it shut down, but then you will just annoy your fan base more than if you didn't release the tool in the first place.

3: Other IPs. Probably more relevant to D2E, given the large amount of content that can be used in quests, it wouldn't be hard to make content that is based in Warhammer, Lord of the Rings or other popular settings. This would create a problem for FFG as the content would violate other's copyright, so FFG would be hassled by the IP owners, and would again look bad if they shut this down.

So sadly I am not expecting this. I have thrown around the idea of trying to unofficially do this with the app, but I think it would be tricky to do well and keep up with the moving target. Creating an unofficial clone app would probably be a better method, but this itself is very likely to get shut down.

I would further like to add a note regarding modable games as this has been discussed a bit here. Most games are not inherently modable and need to be designed as such up front. Unity (which FFG uses) is not particularly mod friendly and is only worse with the newer versions (sad that disunity doesn't work on RtL/MoM). Having said that I think that the issues I outlined above are more significant than allowing external scenarios to be loaded.

Lastly, some conversations I have had regarding REDACTED have been pretty clear than FFGs development team has a huge work load and even very simple changes are a big push to get through.

Thanks for adding this. A scenario editor is nice to imagine, but for the reasons you point out, it's impractical and makes little sense from a business perspective. And the point you bring up about support is an important one and something people who aren't programmers won't realize, namely that internal tools are often undocumented and incomplete.

On the other hand, FFG is probably going to release a lot of great content for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.