Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Proposed is to add the words

"This squadron has Cloaking. If it moves through a gate that it forms an end of, flip it when it enters the square containing the other end of that gate."

To the end of the relevant text, so that it will read in whole

"While you control more than one squadron with this ability, those squadrons form the ends of a stargate. That gate cannot be collapsed by Star Drives. It temporarily collapses whenever the squadrons are in contact (i.e. occupy the same square). This squadron has Cloaking. If it moves through a gate that it forms an end of, flip it when it enters the square containing the other end of that gate."

EDIT: I'm not overall certain that this change is good, so am not incorporating it into the revised rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules update proposed for Assault-gates
Twin Assault Squadrons has proven tricky for players to form strategy with. The power 10 sledgehammer attack leaving the power 4 defence in opponents' turns produces too much swing. Making both aggression and defense problematic. Yet splitting up the squadrons feels bad. Further, their 0 power flipped (to create an Assault-gate) leaves them far too vulnerable. Coupled with their inability to unflip, players resist using them in the way that was intended.

The new rule makes it feasible to launch a sledgehammer attack and then safely cloak: contributing nothing to defence but not vulnerable. Or split them up and leap-frog them through their assault-gates... resulting in them living up to their name. (One assault squadron is dispatched on an attack and then both flip, so that it can also cloak in the destination square. In the following turn, the other moves through the assault-gate: gaining tempo and becoming unflipped to deliver an attack. It can then of course flip.)

The intended interaction with Guard squadrons is that the acting player processes their entering the square effect first, then the non-acting player processes their react... which fails to trigger due to Assault now applying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rules update proposed for Assault-gates
The fluff I'm leaning toward for the new rules is that I'm imagining the assault squadron creates a wormhole or fold, using the whole power of its exceptional (5 power) space-warping weaponry. Thus its combat strength become 0 and it can conceal itself amidst the buckled space that it is creating.

It shouldn't be able to move through its own gate while serving as an end-point for that gate! The hypothesis that simultaneity could permit it was advanced and proven by Tactical Oracle; who demonstrated that reactivating the main weaponry at the gate threshold indeed allowed a squadron to move through it before it finished collapsing. (No record has come to light of how many squadrons were lost testing this.) Strangely, the non-moving partner squadron continues to warp the space around it. I guess that's what a gate with only one end-point looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.