Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Themes and expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So looking over the components and scenarios in the app, it's pretty obvious that the base game uses Shadow over Innsmouth as it's defining theme, unlike 1e base where it was mostly cultists and shoggoths doing things in various mansions. But this got me thinking about future expansion possibilities if they stick to a singular theme for them like here going forward. I would love to see an expansion cover things like Mountains of Madness (what a confusing title that would be) with the mystery mechanics of this game, and hopefully done better than Eldritch Horrors expansion by that name.

The yellow play could also make a good theme for an expansion. What do you guys think, or would like to see done down the road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes sense. A themed expansion would then consist of themed tiles, miniatures and cards plus access to new scenarios on the app.

Seems like there's three possible expansion types:

Virtual: App scenario only, using existing components.

Mini: Maybe miniatures and cards to use with existing components plus access to new scenario(s) on the app.

Big Box: Themed tiles, miniatures and cards plus access to new scenarios on the app.

This fits their model with other games. Oh dear, I can see that this is going to get expensive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Dickson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they do son themed expansions.

I'm hoping for something along the lines of, rats in the walls, lurking fear, the colour of space or the whisperer in the darkness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love, love, LOVE to see some form of Campaigns in the future. Whatever the theme they want to pick for them (although if they chose The Masks of Nyarlathotep....cant even think about it)

Linked scenarios, branching paths and different locations to visit and investigate would make for such good mysteries and more complex investigations...but I recon the difficulty of designing them might be too daunting, even for FFG.

And I am aware there is some initial attempts to this in the current scenarios for the base game that I cant wait to try out myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Masks of Nyarlathotep, that's a good one. Why didn't I think off that as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
vincentdante wrote:
So looking over the components and scenarios in the app, it's pretty obvious that the base game uses Shadow over Innsmouth as it's defining theme, unlike 1e base where it was mostly cultists and shoggoths doing things in various mansions. But this got me thinking about future expansion possibilities if they stick to a singular theme for them like here going forward. I would love to see an expansion cover things like Mountains of Madness (what a confusing title that would be) with the mystery mechanics of this game, and hopefully done better than Eldritch Horrors expansion by that name.

The yellow play could also make a good theme for an expansion. What do you guys think, or would like to see done down the road?

I guess a "Mountain of Madness"-Expansion is to far out of the overlaying theme (that is Mansions, but then I think of "Call of the Wild"), but I'd love to the some "Yellow Sign" and "King in yellow"-stuff. I'd also hope we'll see a proper Dunwich-Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The yellow play could also make a good theme for an expansion.

A scenario set in a theatre might work well, with many of the existing tiles being of use, with some extra tiles representing a stage, back stage, and auditorium. It would also be suitable for a multi-level building scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
King in Yellow would be a good one, with theatre-themed tiles; stage, stalls, backstage, dressing room, bar, box office...

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
King in Yellow would be a good one, with theatre-themed tiles; stage, stalls, backstage, dressing room, bar, box office...

EDIT: ninja

Great minds, think alike. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good portion of Mountains of Madness involved exploring the old city. So that could be an avenue to explore. Though, it was mostly
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"look for missing people, find a tunnel, go into tunnel, run out of tunnel"

I know, spoiler tags for a 60(?) year old story, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
A good portion of Mountains of Madness involved exploring the old city. So that could be an avenue to explore. Though, it was mostly
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"look for missing people, find a tunnel, go into tunnel, run out of tunnel"

I know, spoiler tags for a 60(?) year old story, but still.

Yeah I think it would be cool exploring the elder things city, a creative mind could invent a few scenarios there. It could introduce some good monsters as well, elder things, giant penguins, bring back the shoggoths, proto-shoggoth and insane dogs if you're really struggling.

I Think 1 problem would be intergrating the old peices with the Antarctic ones which you can't really do unless you make a winter wonderland campaign down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.