Subject: Correct wording on cards with 'either' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Jeggo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hello

Firstly I would like to say this an amazing game and I am enjoying it thoroughly!

Apologies if this has been asked before however I have done some searching and cannot find the answer!

Some cards say things along the lines of "Either discard 2 success tokens or lose 2 wounds", now how do I interpret this, is it:

"Choose one: Discard 2 success tokens or lose 2 wounds"

OR

"discard 2 success tokens, if you cannot then lose 2 wounds instead"

If it is regarded as the first one, then can I choose to "discard 2 success tokens" even though I do not have any?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to do one or the other. In your example, you cannot discard two success tokens because you do not have two tokens to discard. So, you must take two wounds.

If you have two success tokens, I believe you have a choice about whether to discard them or take the wounds, but if you don't, you have to take the wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
The second outcome is dependant upon the first. As stated if you can not complete the first instruction then you must complete the second.

If you had a choice the card would be worded differently, For example: "You may choose either xxxxx or yyyyyy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Jeggo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for replying so quickly. This is as I thought and have been playing but was nice to get confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skullmunch wrote:
Hello

Some cards say things along the lines of "Either discard 2 success tokens or lose 2 wounds", now how do I interpret this, is it:

"Choose one: Discard 2 success tokens or lose 2 wounds"

OR

"discard 2 success tokens, if you cannot then lose 2 wounds instead"

If it is regarded as the first one, then can I choose to "discard 2 success tokens" even though I do not have any?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Grammar lesson: either / or means you get a choice.
http://www.myenglishpages.com/site_php_files/grammar-lesson-...

I can see the argument about wording it more clearly...but brevity often wins over clarity in card games.

That said, you must be able to "pay the full price" of a negative option you choose. Thus you must have 2 boons in order to choose "discard 2 boons" etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.