Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pixel Tactics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick question! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Garcia
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hey all,

I just picked up the deluxe pixel tactics box and I'm expecting 1,2, and 3 in the mail. I did research prior to getting the game and I get the bare basics of it (still going through the rule book), but I'm a little confused about how to build a deck. Are decks totally custom, or can you use only certain cards together? I noticed that in my box there are cards with a blue color and a red color, so I'm assuming those are the two teams. But then that makes me wonder what I can do with the other cards that don't match.

I'd appreciate some help! Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmgarc25 wrote:
Hey all,

I just picked up the deluxe pixel tactics box and I'm expecting 1,2, and 3 in the mail. I did research prior to getting the game and I get the bare basics of it (still going through the rule book), but I'm a little confused about how to build a deck. Are decks totally custom, or can you use only certain cards together? I noticed that in my box there are cards with a blue color and a red color, so I'm assuming those are the two teams. But then that makes me wonder what I can do with the other cards that don't match.

I'd appreciate some help! Thanks.


So, welcome to Pixel Tactics! -- PT really didn't start out as a deckbuilding/CCG-like game. Rather, it came as ready-to-play decks. So, for example, one player could play the PT 1 red set, the other would play the blue set against that (both consist of the same cards). When that was a success, more sets followed (PT 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe). You could play each set standalone (each had a blue and a red copy of the cards), or you could mix and match, playing, e.g. the blue PT 2 set vs. the red PT 3 set. In Deluxe, I think, they first introduced the concept of deckbuilding (it may have been before, when they first started making the minipaks, really). The rules for that are in the Deluxe rulebook starting on page 12 (it lists constructed and several drafting variants).

Before you start building decks, I'd heartily suggest going with the "pre-constructed" PT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe sets. That way, you won't be overwhelmed and can get to know the cards while playing them (there is a LOT of information on each card).

Have fun playing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Garcia
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
DomHiob wrote:
Jmgarc25 wrote:
Hey all,

I just picked up the deluxe pixel tactics box and I'm expecting 1,2, and 3 in the mail. I did research prior to getting the game and I get the bare basics of it (still going through the rule book), but I'm a little confused about how to build a deck. Are decks totally custom, or can you use only certain cards together? I noticed that in my box there are cards with a blue color and a red color, so I'm assuming those are the two teams. But then that makes me wonder what I can do with the other cards that don't match.

I'd appreciate some help! Thanks.


So, welcome to Pixel Tactics! -- PT really didn't start out as a deckbuilding/CCG-like game. Rather, it came as ready-to-play decks. So, for example, one player could play the PT 1 red set, the other would play the blue set against that (both consist of the same cards). When that was a success, more sets followed (PT 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe). You could play each set standalone (each had a blue and a red copy of the cards), or you could mix and match, playing, e.g. the blue PT 2 set vs. the red PT 3 set. In Deluxe, I think, they first introduced the concept of deckbuilding (it may have been before, when they first started making the minipaks, really). The rules for that are in the Deluxe rulebook starting on page 12 (it lists constructed and several drafting variants).

Before you start building decks, I'd heartily suggest going with the "pre-constructed" PT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe sets. That way, you won't be overwhelmed and can get to know the cards while playing them (there is a LOT of information on each card).

Have fun playing!


That clears things up! Thanks. I don't think I'd ever get to some serious custom deck building. I much prefer the "gran and go" method, especially as a beginner.

Now in the deluxe set, there are cards with neither a blue or red back. What exactly do I do with those? Do they count as a "minipakc? I suppose they're played as leaders, but they don't have the same type of skills.

I really appreciate the quick response. I knew this game was a bit complex and overwhelming at first, haha.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Garcia
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Another question, haha.

There are 30 hero cards, but then there's a bunch of what I'm assuming are "commons" i.e cards that have no hero option. Do I mix those in my deck after I select my heroes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmgarc25 wrote:
DomHiob wrote:
Jmgarc25 wrote:
Hey all,

I just picked up the deluxe pixel tactics box and I'm expecting 1,2, and 3 in the mail. I did research prior to getting the game and I get the bare basics of it (still going through the rule book), but I'm a little confused about how to build a deck. Are decks totally custom, or can you use only certain cards together? I noticed that in my box there are cards with a blue color and a red color, so I'm assuming those are the two teams. But then that makes me wonder what I can do with the other cards that don't match.

I'd appreciate some help! Thanks.


So, welcome to Pixel Tactics! -- PT really didn't start out as a deckbuilding/CCG-like game. Rather, it came as ready-to-play decks. So, for example, one player could play the PT 1 red set, the other would play the blue set against that (both consist of the same cards). When that was a success, more sets followed (PT 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe). You could play each set standalone (each had a blue and a red copy of the cards), or you could mix and match, playing, e.g. the blue PT 2 set vs. the red PT 3 set. In Deluxe, I think, they first introduced the concept of deckbuilding (it may have been before, when they first started making the minipaks, really). The rules for that are in the Deluxe rulebook starting on page 12 (it lists constructed and several drafting variants).

Before you start building decks, I'd heartily suggest going with the "pre-constructed" PT 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Deluxe sets. That way, you won't be overwhelmed and can get to know the cards while playing them (there is a LOT of information on each card).

Have fun playing!


That clears things up! Thanks. I don't think I'd ever get to some serious custom deck building. I much prefer the "gran and go" method, especially as a beginner.


Glad to be of help -- and yes, there's PLENTY of game with the sets the way they are (after all, you'll have 25 different options for your leader, your opponent has 25/24 options for their leader and that's not even considering you can then use each of your cards in 4 different ways... and that's not even considering the cards will come out different each time. And then there's not one, but 6 such basic packs. So... I don't think you'll get to the bottom of this too soon )

Quote:
Now in the deluxe set, there are cards with neither a blue or red back. What exactly do I do with those? Do they count as a "minipakc? I suppose they're played as leaders, but they don't have the same type of skills.


Minipaks are the cards from the "Freelancers" set, e.g. (I think it comes with PT Deluxe). So they should have the red/blue back.

Then there are cards with a purple back, maybe you're talking about those? These are chase-leaders. They're just leaders, usable instead of the ordinary cards, because they look nicer.

Or maybe you're talking about green-backed cards? Those would be promos, their use is detailed on p. 22 of the Deluxe rulebook. Or maybe Bases (yellow-brownish back)(rules detailed on p. 19 of the rulebook).

None of these are needed for your first 100 games

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmgarc25 wrote:
Another question, haha.

There are 30 hero cards, but then there's a bunch of what I'm assuming are "commons" i.e cards that have no hero option. Do I mix those in my deck after I select my heroes?


Each set should have 50 cards, 25 in blue, 25 in red. I'm somewhat unsure where the "30" comes from. If you include the "Freelancers" minipak, you'd have 33 cards per side.

Commons have a blue and red back also, but they lack the leader side (instead, they have a big blue star on the bottom). Their use is detailed on p. 19 of the rulebook. I'd also leave them out for your first few games. In fact, I haven't even tried them yet, but they look fun.

I agree that by now, Pixel Tactics with its many options and variants may feel overwhelming. But I'd just start with the basic game. The most important thing is to first get to know the basic flow of the game and (of course) the cards. From there, you'll soon find the options that you like best.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Garcia
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Amazing! I minimized the cards and just used the base set to play a quick game against myself. I've got to say that I can't wait to play with a friend!

Thanks again for the help
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.