Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a KS version of TEK from a local player recently, and was about to buy the Heroes' call expansion. As I started looking I noticed a lot of options that created some confusion on where I should go..

- TEK 1 to 2e upgrade kit
- TEK 2e Deluxe
- Heroes' Call expansion
- Heroes' Call expansion deluxe

I'm trying to piece together what I would have or be missing depending on which path I took, but I'm not sure I have it all clear.

Do I need 1 to 2e upgrade kit if I have the KS edition and pick up the expansion?

Am I missing anything if I don't get the Deluxe versions of the game and/or expansion?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: You do not need the 2nd edition upgrade to play the Hero's Call expansion. Whether or not you want some extra factions and min-expansion will determine if you want the deluxe content.

Does your copy have the exploration token mini-expansion, 5 dice and the Constructs, Satyrs, and Order of Gamelyn factions? If not, you may want to get the first edition deluxe content from the BGG store, though the 3 extra dice are not part of that. There is a 2nd edition deluxe content kit that comes with the dice and the 3 factions, but not the mini-expansion since that now comes with the 2nd ed of the game.

The cards in the 1st ed. have hard corners while the 2nd ed. has rounded corners. Also the 2nd ed has color edges on the banners of the faction and territory cards to indicate whether they are from the base game, expansion, or deluxe content. The 1st to 2nd upgrade will give you factions with the rounded corners and colored edge on the banners, but it doesn't include the updated territory cards. So whether or not you care that your base game cards have hard corners while your expansion cards have rounded corners should determine if you want the 1st to 2nd upgrade kit. It's not necessary to play with the expansion.

As for Heroes Call, the deluxe version gives you a different exploration token mini-expansion and 3 more factions. I haven't played with the exploration tokens yet, so I can't say if it's worth it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You nailed it David! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.