Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of creating some large boards that might be suitable for 2x2 or 3x3 battles. Ideally, I would start with the 1" square sewing mats or boards that you can buy at the fabric store and then drawing and coloring the boards myself. Less ideal, but certainly better looking, would be to have someone else design the boards and then I could just have them printed and laminated.

I would prefer the boards to perhaps have several areas, such as an area with lots of obstructions that would force melee combat, and perhaps another area where ranged attacks would work better.

I haven't designed anything though and wondered if someone else had already gone down that road and could share their ideas, pictures, or perhaps files.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that making larger boards favors shooting characters and probably adds time to each game. So if you liked how the prequels ended, go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think of that. The other potential problem with large boards is that it allows players to build up (skim through) their hands to cull out the better cards. The hand-size limit and reshuffle restrictions mitigate against this somewhat.

However, if I wanted to play 2x2 I don't like the idea of sticking two boards next to each other. I was hoping for something that looked a little nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of the non-ranged characters needing to get close to each other, all it really does for them is provide a couple extra turns of movement to gather cards. As long as you have a lot of objects on the map that block lines of sight, most of the ranged characters wouldn't be too overpowered because they'd still have to keep moving around a lot to get clear shots.

It's the characters like the Emperor who can do a lot of damage without having line of sight that would be scary when you need several extra turns to get up close enough to hit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
A single board works well with up to 6 players. I never thought you were expected to ever put 2 adjoining boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I thought of the idea myself. I have never played 3x3 before, but I didn't know if it would be too cramped on one board. Sounds like it won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Farraday
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I agree. With 3v3, it gets really crowded. We've tried putting 2 boards together but that's actually too big.

Therefore, larger boards which could be used for 3v3 would be welcome. The challenge is you should still ideally represent some epic Star Wars scenery.

For those saying the large map favors shooters: About time something in this game actually helps the shooters. They have weak basic decks and fewer hit points and generally represent the weakest characters in the game. I believe that the game designers overestimated the value of ranged attacks when they designed the game and would do things differently with 20/20 hindsight.

When playing 3v3 on larger boards, however, the shooters become more valuable. Our Boba Fett deck (same as original but an effective Dengar replaces a pathetic Greedo) tends to dominate 3v3 contests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Farraday wrote:
[...] I believe that the game designers overestimated the value of ranged attacks when they designed the game and would do things differently with 20/20 hindsight.

When playing 3v3 on larger boards, however, the shooters become more valuable. Our Boba Fett deck (same as original but an effective Dengar replaces a pathetic Greedo) tends to dominate 3v3 contests.

Yes, I agree. On large boards shooters are lethal. I'm thinking to introduce a range rule, limiting their range to maybe 10 spaces (in all directions, diagonals are favored, but should be more difficult to fire on diagonals in very big maps).
Also thematically speaking, it has little sense to let them fire over endless spaces, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk H
msg tools
Any news on the plans to design a new (bigger board)?

Actually there are some bigger boards already out there. There is the Theed Board from Episode one, this one is huge.

Than we have the Death Star corridores, that is designed in a way you can print out several and create your own corridor with desired legth (pretty cool in concept but never playtested it).

Similar concept to the DS is the board from the droid factory on geonosis. Never played this also, but at least looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk H
msg tools
I agree on the increased value of shooters on bigger boards but isn't it highly depndend on the scenary? If you don't have line of sight all across the board the ranged weapon doesn't help too much. So the map would need some more obstacles that block line of sight. Something more like the Endor Moon map or the Jedi Temple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.