Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: scenarios from main game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the scenarios from the base game able to be played using the solo components or does the expansion only support play with the scenarios from the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Are the scenarios from the base game able to be played using the solo components or does the expansion only support play with the scenarios from the expansion?

The solo AI works only with the solo missions and those generated with the firefight generator.

You could play those missions solo however using the spent check system to determine if a unit is done after their action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Middleville
MI
flag msg tools
Season ticket on a one-way ride...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably try that with Guadalcanal, play it through on both sides, see how it goes. Obviously won't work with hidden placement scenarios, but would be worth a shot to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
densham wrote:
Kevin, I was thinking the same thing. I'll probably try that with Guadalcanal, play it through on both sides, see how it goes. Obviously won't work with hidden placement scenarios, but would be worth a shot to see how it plays.

There are rules and scenarios involving hidden units in the solo game, so you could adapt those for base game scenarios. I know Band of Brothers has a method where (IIRC) you move the hidden markers as if they were real and only when "spotted" by an enemy or you want to fire, you replace them with a real unit from the order of battle (or something like that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
adm1 wrote:

The solo AI works only with the solo missions and those generated with the firefight generator.

You could play those missions solo however using the spent check system to determine if a unit is done after their action.

I've just started playing the game - I've also purchased the Solo and Firefight Generator expansions, so far I haven't used either. But I have used the Spent Check Tokens that you posted - really enjoying this method so far.

Still learning, but if the Solo method is as good as it appears from a few play-through videos and reviews then I am really looking forward to mastering the basic game, followed by the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
I intent to play the main game using the solo rules.
Forget about the AP tracker. Decide how to get a number for caps, will need some thought but not to much.
A die roll to decide which side is AI and away you go.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Download Kevin's Spent Check markers and you are half way there already - just use CAPS and cards as per the Firefight set up.

Still have to play both sides as best as you can - it works (or at least for me until I commit to the full Solo expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Wrong One wrote:

Still learning, but if the Solo method is as good as it appears from a few play-through videos and reviews then I am really looking forward to mastering the basic game, followed by the expansions.

It is. The only frustrating part is truly grokking how the solo cards are supposed to be followed; there is a bit of a learning curve there.

I hate to toot my own horn, but this is the clearest way I've seen to follow an AI Order card
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21451021#21451021
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Alessi
msg tools
So I tried to play the first scenario of the main game with the solo expansion AI cards and the firefight generator mission track. I basically used the offensive mission track with no counters and I used a the solo deck with the offensive cards. That worked ok, but I suspect that there's a better way to customize the AI deck to play smarter. I'm going to try to run through the scenario again tonight with a defensive deck.

I'd LOVE to see official conversions of the main game scenarios to the solo system. I'm just learning the game, so playing the main scenarios definitely helps to slowly introduce the various mechanics where the solo scenarios just kind of throw you into the deep end.

Also, will there be more solo scenarios released by Academy? (It's mentioned quite often in the solo rulebook). I glanced through the solo scenario book and I really love the diversity of the included scenarios. I'm also looking forward to creating my own scenarios with the Firefight generator. (Although, I'll miss the flavor text and context that is provided by the 'curated' scenarios)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aside from the first solo scenario in the respective book, most of the missions are whoppingly asymmetrical. I like the firefight generator because it allows me to create relative symmetrical firefights, which I find much more interesting as a "battle of wits", however much you can use that expression against a card deck

This player aid also really helps with the myriad of rules from the core game (group actions, defensive structures, etc) https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97236/conflict-heroes-2nd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Alessi
msg tools
I'm interested in playing the main game scenarios using the solo system. The main game scenarios seem better for slowly introducing the rules/systems as opposed to the solo scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iPhoneAppz wrote:
I'm interested in playing the main game scenarios using the solo system. The main game scenarios seem better for slowly introducing the rules/systems as opposed to the solo scenarios.

FWIW I've seen many people suggest (and I agree) that it makes sense to learn the base game rules (soloing both sides of some 2-player scenarios if you don't have an opponent) before trying to learn the solo expansion (which adds additional complexity with its AI rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
iPhoneAppz wrote:

FWIW I've seen many people suggest (and I agree) that it makes sense to learn the base game rules (soloing both sides of some 2-player scenarios if you don't have an opponent) before trying to learn the solo expansion (which adds additional complexity with its AI rules).
I have learned it that way and generally this is NOT something I do with any game that has an explicitly designed solo variant. I agree that this is the way to go here, though it is time consuming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peel
United Kingdom
Northampton
flag msg tools
This is a very good suggestion and exactly what i did. I think you need to get the rules for most things straight in your head before moving on to the solo system. I found myself flipping through both rules books trying to play the solo after only a couple of intro plays of the main game and it because distracting from the immersion. I played single player for a while until i got basic rules right and the flow of the game and moved back to the solo. It felt like an entirely different experience the second time around and much more immersive and satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to echo the others. I think the biggest barrier is the solo system is much more intricate than the actual game so if you're adding that in while going through the natural flow of missions to introduce game elements, then you're kind of running before you can crawl, if that makes sense. You need to understand the rules of the game in the first place to really interpret the solo cards correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting. I've done things differently from most of you--I dove directly into the solo system without trying to play any of the base game scenarios. My reasoning is that I've spent so many years playing two-player games, I'm really eager to try a true solitaire system.

I read section 1 of the base rules, then read the solo rules. I went back to the base rules only to improve my understanding of various concepts.

I wish the solo expansion had more 1-map scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
Interesting. I've done things differently from most of you--I dove directly into the solo system without trying to play any of the base game scenarios. My reasoning is that I've spent so many years playing two-player games, I'm really eager to try a true solitaire system.

I read section 1 of the base rules, then read the solo rules. I went back to the base rules only to improve my understanding of various concepts.

I don't know how much Academy could charge for a scenario book, but I'd love some more. Even ones made with the Firefight Generator and then tweaked by an expert would be great to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Tony M wrote:

I don't know how much Academy could charge for a scenario book, but I'd love some more. Even ones made with the Firefight Generator and then tweaked by an expert would be great to have.

Same here. But I always thought that was the bottleneck for them getting the games out quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.