5 Posts

MBT (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Spotting Ranges: Brew-Up Smoke is +1 modifier? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
What is the effect of Brew-Up Smoke on Spotting Ranges?

Game Card B lists the effect as +1. This means one can see vehicles in smoke-filled hexes more easily (that is, at greater range). To me, this makes little sense since the smoke should hinder spotting.

Is this a typo and should be -1?
Or do I have it wrong in my head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
Maybe the light from the fire is making things more visible? At night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:

Game Card B lists the effect as +1. This means one can see vehicles in smoke-filled hexes more easily (that is, at greater range). To me, this makes little sense since the smoke should hinder spotting.

You could look at it this way, the smoke and fire draws attention to the area, so people are more likely to be looking for more in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:

I know it's subtle, but the referenced modifier in the Spotting Ranges table doesn't state Brew Up Smoke -- it states Brew Up. Reference section 7.27, last paragraph on p64 of the Advanced Game rules. A Brew Up Wreck provides illumination for spotting units in the same hex.

In MBT, all types of smoke are a hindrance to combat and don't impact spotting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
mbmb
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the explanation. I get it now.

I was wondering why it didn't actually use the word "smoke" in the chart, AND I did a complete search on "Brew-Up Smoke" but didn't find that section you cited (since it has Brew-Up Wrecks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.