$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kickstarter - tiered pledge costs based "on how late you pledge" trend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
I've noticed recently Kickstarters e.g. Crisis, Mech Command ( ne Armored Core), Vampire Hunters, have exactly the same pledge contents for ever increasing prices depending on how late (i.e. which number backer you are).

So you could be paying $30 more for pledging late than someone who got in early. I'm not including the old 'Early bird' pledge.

Vampire Hunters has an early bird pledge level for each differing pledge content.

I really don't see why people who come to a game late because they have seen it late should be penalised.

I've not pledged for Crisis because of this reason. I was considering Vampire Hunters will not now.

Is this is putting other people off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
mb
Well I see the intent as being to get a lot of interest early on by offering a discounted pledge rather than penalising later backers.

With a good amount of early pledges the project is much more likely to be flagged as a "hot" project and will get even more attention as the campaign progresses.

I have backed projects and missed the "early bird" pledges before, but in each case I treat it the same as any other KS. Just ask myself "If all goes well, am I happy with what I am going to be getting for the amount being asked?"

Can't see a project that actively penalises later backers by charging a premium and not offering decent value for moeny doing terribly well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly when I see in this in a game I may or may not be interested I just hit the pledge button and reserve the right to cancel it anytime after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alfsterino wrote:
I've noticed recently Kickstarters e.g. Crisis, Mech Command ( ne Armored Core), Vampire Hunters, have exactly the same pledge contents for ever increasing prices depending on how late (i.e. which number backer you are).

So you could be paying $30 more for pledging late than someone who got in early. I'm not including the old 'Early bird' pledge.

Vampire Hunters has an early bird pledge level for each differing pledge content.

I really don't see why people who come to a game late because they have seen it late should be penalised.

I've not pledged for Crisis because of this reason. I was considering Vampire Hunters will not now.

Is this is putting other people off?

As they are in control of the campaign they can do as they wish. As you are in control of your money, you can do as you wish. Neither side can complain about what the other side is offering. Either except the cost to back the game or move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
Honestly when I see in this in a game I may or may not be interested I just hit the pledge button and reserve the right to cancel it anytime after that.

I do the opposite and don't give my money to people employing practices I don't like.

Same reason I don't KS CMoN games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't bother me that I didn't get the early bird special. As mentioned earlier it is an inventive to get people to back now instead of later. I have friends who have Kickstarted games and it's not a stress free kind of thing. The faster you reach the funding level the less you're up all night thinking about the choices that you made in your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragoonkin wrote:
I do the opposite and don't give my money to people employing practices I don't like.

Do you ever travel by plane? Airlines have practiced that for ages - buy tickets early and they are cheap. Buy late and you pay through the nose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
JadedGamer wrote:
Dragoonkin wrote:

Do you ever travel by plane? Airlines have practiced that for ages - buy tickets early and they are cheap. Buy late and you pay through the nose.

But airlines aren't keeping their planes running by the good will of people who may or may not get what they expect at some indeterminate time within a time frame.

Kickstarters live by goodwill and good word of mouth. By me not pledging for some projects I'll not a) mention it to friends who might go in for it and b) also as I'll not have them to play with others at clubs they'll not get an interest and buy retail or go in for another Kickstarter of the game or that company because they'll not know about them.

When you look at getting a plane ticket then you have decided to get a plane ticket for a holiday etc...not pledging for a game is simply...not pledging for a game...I'm hardly going to not buy a plane ticket and lose out on a holiday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
While I understand the rationale behind this trend and understand that Kickstarters benefit from lots of pledges early on, I have to say that I'm not a fan of it for two reasons:

1. It penalizes backers for showing up late. This goes against what is, in my opinion, the prime directive of Kickstarter campaigns: "put the backer first."
2. It's more complex and it leads to having a lot of different rewards for the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the only reason I didn't back the BitBox project on KS. I don't want it for storage but when I take my games somewhere I *try* to limit myself to one large bag that carriers about 6-8 games and is pretty heavy. So I was going to back this product and for $30 it's worth the shot.

But no. Those are all gone so now it's $40. Those are gone too. No way I'm spending $50 to get something I could get for $30. To me that's ridiculous. Charge me $5 more or maybe $10 and I would probably pull the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alfsterino wrote:
But airlines aren't keeping their planes running by the good will of people who may or may not get what they expect at some indeterminate time within a time frame.

Really? Ever heard of delays and canceled flights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The initial earlybird pledges are usually enough to fulfill (or at least help) the minimum pledge amount needed. This is to reward backers for supporting when it is needed most. Hopefully, with enough further support the stretch goals will make even the regularly priced pledge a good value as in the aforementioned Vampire Hunters.

I don't have too much problem with earlybird pledges (and some usually free up near the ends of campaigns when people drop out). If I don't get one, I just judge whether I think the content justifies the cost and if the creator is reputable or not. That's the way every KS pledge decision should be made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
jonatanrullman wrote:
Alfsterino wrote:

Really? Ever heard of delays and canceled flights?

I knew someone would reply with that.

Still not a comparable analogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
This isn't a new thing at all. There might be an uptick in it at the moment, but from what I've noticed it's actually declining in both frequency and the amount of the discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alfsterino wrote:

I agree that airlines was a pretty bad analogy. Especially for the point you were trying to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
It's the only reason I didn't back the BitBox project on KS. I don't want it for storage but when I take my games somewhere I *try* to limit myself to one large bag that carriers about 6-8 games and is pretty heavy. So I was going to back this product and for $30 it's worth the shot.

But no. Those are all gone so now it's $40. Those are gone too. No way I'm spending $50 to get something I could get for $30. To me that's ridiculous. Charge me $5 more or maybe $10 and I would probably pull the trigger.

ahh. so it doesn't matter that you'll get it cheaper AND quicker by pledging now rather than waiting for retail. no, you've seen the lowest price and that's now the average you judge it by. seems like the seller should have just priced them all at $45 and given away twenty free or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
gen1400 wrote:

ahh. so it doesn't matter that you'll get it cheaper AND quicker by pledging now rather than waiting for retail. no, you've seen the lowest price and that's now the average you judge it by. seems like the seller should have just priced them all at $45 and given away twenty free or something.

The $40 option wasn't even limited to a number of backer's. It was strictly a time limit like any other sale, or even kickstarter itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is this a turn off when you do discover the game early on and are able to pledge at the cheapest level?

What if Kickstarter allowed the publisher to just gradually increase the price over the month period, without having to show how many pledges were made at each price level?

So for example you find to the KS page on day 15 and see it for $40 with 210 pledges already (not knowing that 50 of those pledged at $30, 100 at $35, and 60 at $40). You're not sure about the game, so you think about it, decide you do really want it and come back to the page on day 20, but now the price is $45 with 250 pledges. Do you respond "F that, I'm not paying $5 more - the publisher is not supporting its backers." or do you respond "I gotta get in now before the price goes up further!"

Just trying to understand the thinking of active KS backers. I don't do KS anymore, for many reasons, but I very early on stopped getting mad about all the marketing tricks that I personally disliked but clearly attracted KS fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Rumbelow wrote:
gen1400 wrote:

The $40 option wasn't even limited to a number of backer's. It was strictly a time limit like any other sale, or even kickstarter itself.

i'm sure the seller looks at the early bid as being generously discounted and slowly returning to a normal price. buyer, however, sees only increasing prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
gen1400 wrote:

Yes all of those things I take into consideration. Like I said, I don't mind paying a little more for coming late to the party but paying $20 more is a bit on the ridiculous side. MSRP of $68 + shipping? Good luck selling them at that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has a big chance to backfire , lots of early bidders at the low price just to bookmark it, early bidders decide its not for them after all and interested late pledgers put off by higher prices. It seems a risky strategy that encourages people to pledge even if they are not sure and make up their mind later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the point of a well-run KS is to build word of mouth. Not everyone hovers on BGG or KS constantly, waiting for the next new, hot thing to go up so they can pledge instantly. Many people hear about it several days in, either through ads or friends who talk about it, or just because it gets mentioned somewhere else, like a blog post or news wrap up or something.

But this system penalizes people for that. It penalizes you for being a regular joe with a job, kids and other interests who can't be aware of every little KS the instant it opens.

I don't object to the earlybird the way cmon does it... One small number of pledges for the truly devoted. But the ever increasing tiers is kind of mean and off-putting to me.

Going back to the airplane analogy. Yes, if I have to book late, I expect to pay more. That's the price of having to do things last minute because plans changed, someone died, or business called me out of town on short notice. I have no choice and the airline knows it, thus the gouging.

But I don't have to buy a game last minute. I don't have to buy a game at all. I have a choice and that choice is to say, "Forget it, I'm not paying this inflated price." To me, a KS should do everything it can to overcome my desire to hit that exit button. Inflating prices doesn't do that.

Since the main point of a KS is to raise awareness of a previously unknown object, making people pay more for coming in late is kind of dumb. I would think you'd just want people to pledge and be fair to them because they are making your product happen, no matter how long it takes them to decide to get in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Daley
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually refuse to back projects that use tiered, and even early bird pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
jonatanrullman wrote:
Alfsterino wrote:

I agree that airlines was a pretty bad analogy. Especially for the point you were trying to make.

Ooooooooooooooo.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
To me, the point of a well-run KS is to build word of mouth. Not everyone hovers on BGG or KS constantly, waiting for the next new, hot thing to go up so they can pledge instantly. Many people hear about it several days in, either through ads or friends who talk about it, or just because it gets mentioned somewhere else, like a blog post or news wrap up or something.

But this system penalizes people for that. It penalizes you for being a regular joe with a job, kids and other interests who can't be aware of every little KS the instant it opens.

I don't object to the earlybird the way cmon does it... One small number of pledges for the truly devoted. But the ever increasing tiers is kind of mean and off-putting to me.

I've often found about a kickstarter within hours after early birds are over, or in the second or third tier of pricing because I'm not aware of all of the KSes and yes, it does turn me off.

If I miss just the early bird tier and there are not multiple levels of pricing, I may back. If there are multiple levels of pricing beyond that, I generally won't. At that point it feels like I'm being punished for being tardy to the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.