Subject: 6 newbs power up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guttedgeek
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Carol, Marty, Sandy, Neil, Charlotte and myself.

I was a bit reserved about playing this game with 6 people especially given we're all newbs and tend to play lighter gateway type games. In the end we agreed to play to 7 cities which was a sensible choice and allowed us to include some light fillers in the evening.

The chosen background music for the evening was "Power Ballads" which not only suited the theme but the five wannabe singers at the table.

I decided to play Wharekumeras very sound "follow the leader" advice which payed off very nicely. With a constant eye on the ultra competitive Carol, I found my stride and felt sure I had enough in reserve to make a final pounce and take the win.

Half way through the game - catastrophe!!! (and I ain't talking about the kitten that attacked our toes throughout the evening) - Neil knocked a full glass of water over the the great lakes making quite a mess. Ouch! Not deterred, we spent a few minutes mopping up, a hundred apologies and we were back into it.

The planned pounce clearly caught everyone off guard as I bought 3 cities in the final round to take me to 7. What I didn't expect however was that Sandy would pounce back and buy to 8 and with her abundance of free energy could power the lot! In my efforts to keep Carol in check, I neglected to keep an eye on what everyone else was doing! Lesson learned, Carol and I consoled ourselves by sharing second place with 7 powered cities and exactly $112 cash each.

This game was surprisingly approachable for our group given Ticket to Ride is the more usual fare. After some initial "this is complex" groans, it went down very well and I think (hope) that everyone will be keen to play again. Marty did a fab job of explaining the rules, running the fiddly bits and barely bat and eyelid when his beautiful game was flooded.

During packup, talk of expansions didn't go down all that well - it was discovered the water had expanded the board folds and made quite a mess of the reverse side of the board. I'm sure that the next evening will introduce a no drinks at the table rule - if it were my gaming table, I would!

Music, spillage, kittens and tuneless humming aside, this game easily lived up to my previous experience - tense and fascinating. I crave this game and would like to own it - its my new # 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
My commiserations to the owner of the board soblue

Playing to seven cities is a good way to learn the base mechanics of the game and to get a feeling for what the full game may be like. Rest assured it gets bigger and better when you play the full game moving through (or skipping by) step 2 and into step 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks re the dousing of the board! Perhaps it could be the official Al Gore variant:

"Kids, this is what happens if we continue to use coal, oil and garbage (!?) powered plants... the ice caps melt!"

I'm glad to hear the game went down well. It is essentially quite simple, it's just the keeping up with the administration of restocking the market, flipping power plants etc that can be somewhat daunting (for me, anyway!).
I have a copy you're welcome to borrow... as long as your friends keep their drinks and shaky hands away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
guttedgeek wrote:

This game was surprisingly approachable for our group given Ticket to Ride is the more usual fare. After some initial "this is complex" groans, it went down very well and I think (hope) that everyone will be keen to play again. Marty did a fab job of explaining the rules, running the fiddly bits and barely bat and eyelid when his beautiful game was flooded.

Glad to hear this went down well with your group. We really like this one in the family, but have been hesitant to try and introduce it to friends (ttr is soo easy to get people up and running with) as the actions look more daunting than they actually are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guttedgeek wrote:
I'm sure that the next evening will introduce a no drinks at the table rule - if it were my gaming table, I would!

Music, spillage, kittens and tuneless humming aside, this game easily lived up to my previous experience - tense and fascinating. I crave this game and would like to own it - its my new # 1.

Definitely my #1 game. As for the drinks rule - when you come over and play TI3 you will discover that I completely ban drinks from the gaming table... I learned my lesson the hard way with Puerto Rico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
... As for the drinks rule - when you come over and play TI3 you will discover that I completely ban drinks from the gaming table... I learned my lesson the hard way with Puerto Rico

I myself depending on the game and the person... will ask that the drink get put on the floor. I don't mind wiping up a spilled beer on the floor. A spilled beverage across powergrid would make me sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
During packup, talk of expansions didn't go down all that well - it was discovered the water had expanded the board folds and made quite a mess of the reverse side of the board. I'm sure that the next evening will introduce a no drinks at the table rule - if it were my gaming table, I would!

My Power Grid had a coke spilled on the rules, and a Cranberry Sierra Mist spilled on some of the money, which, at the time, was being used for The Big Idea. I do like to implement a "No drinks" rule, but it's not universally enforced for everything at my table. Sometimes when i do try to enforce it i get "Oh, i won't spill any", to which i reply "Then you wont' mind paying for a new copy if you do." This usually gets the drink away from the game with great haste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte Hinton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
As a member of this group and my first attempt, I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about playing with 6 people, as I wasn't sure whether we would have time for the "whole" game. Was pleased we played up to 7 cities and as a first effort I thought I did well....I mean, I didn't come last!

It's definitely a game that I would like to play again and get to know a little better to work on different strategies, especially seeing how others played, who had played it before...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.