Subject: Got the first two expansions today rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played them yet, but they're suspiciously light on content for the price. I know there's an argument to be made for people only buying the bits they want, but these two mini expansions were £14 each, including postage and may well have been better in just one box at, say, £20.

Still, two new heroes, one new adventure and some extra goods / encounters - which the game really needed, as I've done the first two to death now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides the Hero, is there anything in the scenario box that would warrant the price if one wasn't too excited to run the scenario itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for mine to arrive. =/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
i still have to go and pick them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my shipping notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are these expansions able to be purchased in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Where are these expansions able to be purchased in the US?

At FLGS or most other stores unless they've sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Besides the Hero, is there anything in the scenario box that would warrant the price if one wasn't too excited to run the scenario itself?

^^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big G
msg tools
I picked up both expansions yesterday and opened them last night.

I'm actually quite shocked by how little was inside each one. One hero miniature and a small handful of cards.

I'm in the UK and each expansion is £15.99 at retail.

For that price a customer should, I believe, expect a miniaturefor the spider villain in the Caught In A Web box, and maybe another hero or at least something more in the Gilded Blade.

Paying £32 for the pair I feel hard done by when you compare it to Descent expansions and even the base Runebound game itself.

£32 can buy you a full game with a wealth of components and content in it.

In fact, i think the contents of the two sould have simply been released as 1 expansion at the cost of £15.99.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered mine yesterday from FFG. I thought the price was fair. I'm just happy they haven't abandoned it. It's one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

^^^

Maybe if I keep spamming this post somebody will answer it.. Humm... maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Remind me to answer after the InFlight report ends (at the moment busy following the just announced app for IA and the two collections of material for Mansions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big G
msg tools
I've just tried to upload a photo of the contents of the expansions but I'm not sure it's worked from my phone. If you look at what's there I think anyone would be hard pressed to justify that it's £32 worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big G
msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Ok, checked the components. The box comes with

- a hero miniature (Jonas the Kind)
- story cards for the new scenario
- adventure cards fro the new scenario
- the new scenario

so, if you don't like the scenario, well, it's just Jonas.

However, I must confess you that I've always had a lot of fun playing with Ariad. I like this scenario over Vorakesh (better balance) and webs add an interesting layer of complexity to movement. I played 7 games with Ariad so far, and they were all good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darby Harris
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assume there's also some tokens? Jonas' starting combat tokens and an Ariad token + combat token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, sure, tokens are included. Don't have the gamma version of the game yet, tho, so I can't tell you how many tokens are included
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Julia.

I won't ask for a spoiler on Jonas' ability (as I opted to pull the trigger and need some surprises still), but -- in general -- how do you feel about him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Thanks, Julia.

I won't ask for a spoiler on Jonas' ability (as I opted to pull the trigger and need some surprises still), but -- in general -- how do you feel about him?

He's quite a nice character to play. I'll comment only on what FFG showed of him, and put it in spoiler tags so that if you don't know anything, you may keep the mystery, ok?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Jonas tokens are pretty amazing in terms of combat, he's very good at defending (2 single shields) and attacking (2x physical damage, 1x double charge) and he has a doubler to enhance this or the other effect. As for his ability, I'd say it's rather different from standard stuff, and it makes playing with him fun

I can't give you feedback on specific performances (the guy had his name changed over the testing period and tracking down the changes at this moment would require quite some bookkeeping from my side), but in general (checked a balance matrix for the heroes) he was in a good place. Not Lyssa power-creep, and not "oh my goodness how can I win with this guy here". So, I'd say it's a good one.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or do you not get very much stuff for ~$35 in these two explanations? Seems way over-priced. I played my first game yesterday and really love the it but those expansion prices are bologna!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Is it just me or do you not get very much stuff for ~$35 in these two explanations? Seems way over-priced. I played my first game yesterday and really love the it but those expansion prices are bologna!

It does appear that the global economic freeze over the last decade has begun to manifest in our hobby. That said, we're paying not just for the components on display, but also the development and design time as well. Playtesting, balance tweaks -- time, in essence.

Though their prices have risen for what we get in the last 5~6 years, I'd argue their quality and the refinement of their systems have risen in lockstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

Two heroes, a scenario, new items, new skill deck, and new adventure cards sounds like a small box expansion so $35 seemed reasonable to me. Picked it up last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, the components are beautiful in 3rd edition. The map is so pretty! The cards are solid quality and the art is dazzling. When you say a "scenario" though you just meant 1 Tarot size card, 10 normal size event cards, 30 green purple and orange Adventure cards. That's not very much needed. I guess it's worth it though if you like the game. I was quite impressed with it, even as just solo with 1 hero, so I will probably get them for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Oh yes, the components are beautiful in 3rd edition. The map is so pretty! The cards are solid quality and the art is dazzling. When you say a "scenario" though you just meant 1 Tarot size card, 10 normal size event cards, 30 green purple and orange Adventure cards. That's not very much needed. I guess it's worth it though if you like the game. I was quite impressed with it, even as just solo with 1 hero, so I will probably get them for variety.

It was £12 for me and I thought that was totally reasonable for the character, 5 tokens and the full scenario. It's no different from FFG's luietenant packs for descent/imperial assault.

My only issue is that there's a lot of repetition. Ariad's combat deck is 3 bane spiders, 3 cave spiders and 3 arachaya. I swear the dragon and the necromancer have a bit more of a variety in monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.