Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious about this title, but I wonder how it can work... I love the idea or programming movement, but I also wonder how programing can exist in the same game as chaos and complete unpredictability...

It is fun because...
A)... it's crazy to see how your actions really just end up contributing to the total chaos and then someone wins by luck and everyone's happy because it was a blast?
OR
B)... there's a lot going on and you certainly can't predict everything, but you can still outwit your opponent with clever planning and bluff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not usually a huge fan of programming games - but this one looked really fun to me - enough for me to preorder it ... What sets this one apart, to me, is the theme (light, goofy, funny); the components (amazing); and the biggest is the fact that you don't have to program too far ahead and you can kinda pick and choose how far ahead you want to program. If you want to do a big crazy special you'll be sitting idle for a bit ... For some reason this works really well for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this, but it struck me that it could work a lot like Colt Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Tuck

Akron
OH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first play in at Gencon and much like a bar fight you can plan what you are doing but some drunk might get in your way.
You don't have to plan that far ahead so plans can work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:
I am curious about this title, but I wonder how it can work... I love the idea or programming movement, but I also wonder how programing can exist in the same game as chaos and complete unpredictability...

It is fun because...
A)... it's crazy to see how your actions really just end up contributing to the total chaos and then someone wins by luck and everyone's happy because it was a blast?
OR
B)... there's a lot going on and you certainly can't predict everything, but you can still outwit your opponent with clever planning and bluff?

Definitely "B"...

You only program one move more than the current movement (so no "RoboRally" types of long movements).

You can definitely be smart about the moves you make to outwit your opponent and make awesome attacks to gain reputation.

"The best game in the tavern brawling genre ever!"
-- Tom Vasel

...and he's been known to be less kind to me than that often. :0

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spalding
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this Sunday at Gen Con in the BGG room. Just picked it up and read through the rules quickly before playing. So I'm sure we missed a few things, but I really enjoyed it.

I tried Colt Express last year and wasn't a huge fan. It seemed like once you got messed up, there wasn't much of a way to recover until the next set of cards (which could be a while). With Dragon and Flagon, you're not planning too far ahead, so you can recover pretty quickly. I like the daze mechanism too. If you get hit with a chair, for example, you basically have to plan an extra move than everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not chess, but I can guarantee you that there is definitely skill - How do I know? Because my daughter ALWAYS beats me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeamAE2L wrote:
I played this Sunday at Gen Con in the BGG room. Just picked it up and read through the rules quickly before playing. So I'm sure we missed a few things, but I really enjoyed it.

I tried Colt Express last year and wasn't a huge fan. It seemed like once you got messed up, there wasn't much of a way to recover until the next set of cards (which could be a while). With Dragon and Flagon, you're not planning too far ahead, so you can recover pretty quickly. I like the daze mechanism too. If you get hit with a chair, for example, you basically have to plan an extra move than everyone else.

I haven't played D&F yet - but I don't like Colt Express for that reason. Far too hard to predict and plan ahead. I think (hope) that D&F will have just the right amount of planning ahead programming. I think the theme matches the "one move ahead" program too - in a real-time bar fight you would be thinking a head a bit but something else may happen just as you're throwing a punch, etc ... Whereas if your in a shootout on a train you're not going to be planning so many steps ahead regardless of what happens ... It's a little silly I realize to take these games "realistically" but I really love strong mechanics that pair well with believable themes in games and D&F does it really well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Brewer

Indianapols
msg tools
Don't hover over me!
badge
Don't hover over me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this at the Rollout party Saturday night, and had a great time (I won). If you like programming games I would suggest picking this up. Geoff, and his children don't make bad games. I think only planning one move ahead strikes a nice balance between some of the other programming games. One small thing doesn't completely wreck a large portion of your game, but you still have to put thought into what you are going to do the next turn or two. My SO didn't care much for it, but that is because she doesn't like programming games or attacking games, and this is both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In a large game I though it was more of "A" once some of the people got clumped up. In a smaller game or earlier in the game when people are spread out (or if they are a character that is fine staying away from the action) I thought it was more of "B". I also think that sort of situation is unavoidable (and perhaps desirable) in a programming game where there is a bit of double-think occurring about the programming.

The reason it felt more chaotic to me was because there were so many options for the programming cards (something like 15) and each character has a few unique cards that anticipating which of 15 actions 5 other players might perform and in what order was quite difficult.

One other way the game mitigates randomness with programming is by only having some players act each round (based on time usage) and by making you only program one move at a time (unless you're stunned, in some cases).

It did feel like a tavern brawl to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmb
evilone wrote:

Definitely "B"...

You only program one move more than the current movement (so no "RoboRally" types of long movements).

You did a great job of identifying where that balance works out. I’ve always found the programming for Robo Rally to be long, and incredibly frustrating when things go wrong. With F&D, if things go haywire for you — which needs to be expected — you’re only set back by a turn or so at worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.