17 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Restarting Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
I'm getting a group together to restart playing Myth. We're most of the way through the starter adventure, just to shake the cobwebs off, but I'm not sure where the right place to go next is. I want to do story quests to get some titles, but unless something has changed in the 6 months I've been away, the only story quests that are really current are the two that we're expecting to be replaced with modules because the 2.0 story quest rewrites aren't out anywhere yet. Right?

Any suggestions? Suck up the 1.0 story quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:
I'm getting a group together to restart playing Myth. We're most of the way through the starter adventure, just to shake the cobwebs off, but I'm not sure where the right place to go next is. I want to do story quests to get some titles, but unless something has changed in the 6 months I've been away, the only story quests that are really current are the two that we're expecting to be replaced with modules because the 2.0 story quest rewrites aren't out anywhere yet. Right?

Any suggestions? Suck up the 1.0 story quests?

I suspect you're up to speed on all this Granite, but here's a list I made a few months back that you should check out in case you haven't.

Also, check out this particular listing for the "free content". MegaCon released the "Rise of the Revenant" in module format last year. This is the format that we'll receive in the Journeyman KS so you may want to print this out and play since this is the newest content.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I was hoping I'd missed something. le sigh.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:

Thanks.

I know .... two years post release and we've got a product that the community seems to have more commitment towards than the producer (unless there's a kickstarter going on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Granite26 wrote:

Thanks.

I know .... two years post release and we've got a product that the community seems to have more commitment towards than the producer (unless there's a kickstarter going on).

Um...there actually knee deep in fulfilling the Journeymen Myth KS, the 2nd Kickstarter for the game. I believe the 2 expansions are due out ship in the next couple months, with a whole lotta material coming in a 2nd wave.

I believe an unboxing video is due in the next week or so.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
Granite26 wrote:

Thanks.

Um...there actually knee deep in fulfilling the Journeymen Myth KS, the 2nd Kickstarter for the game. I believe the 2 expansions are due out ship in the next couple months, with a whole lotta material coming in a 2nd wave.

I believe an unboxing video is due in the next week or so.

Jorune

Unboxing video of Journeymen boxes was already posted.

https://youtu.be/w7H763wXysc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the same predicament. We love Myth, and only started playing post-2.0, but there seems to be no way to earn titles or deck manipulations outside of Slaughterfield or obsolete 1.0 quests.

People recommend the RotR module, but that module is recommended AFTER earning at least a title and a couple of deck manips.

Sure I can give myself any cards or titles I wish, but then why am I buying a rule set? I want to "play by the rules" and earn the upgrades, otherwise making any positive mod I see fit is a slippery slope (akin to using a trainer in a video game -- once you say "just a wee bit more gold", you end up cheating whenever a frustrating challenge presents itself).

Also, JM is of no use because we won't have the characters upgraded enough to play it, least not without the module add ons / stretch goals / wave 3.

Or is there something we're doing wrong (outside of not willing to "make up our own rules"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
They did promise to revamp the starting quest lines into the new module format. My understanding was that the original story quests weren't bad, per se, just not well written in a technical sense. I was hoping they had snuck out while I wasn't looking.

It doesn't help that we're using at least three different versions of the rulebook.

Anywho, I'm running the original story quests now, at least the first few. we'll be healing between acts, but not resetting eq/gold

We'll be skipping the KS quests, though... those seemed broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
Geoff wrote:

Or is there something we're doing wrong (outside of not willing to "make up our own rules"?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. One of the flaws of 1.X Myth was that it's not possible to get titles without houseruling or running story quests.

Assuming you're willing to house-rule a Boss encounter in Adventure mode (mine is to drop a Boss on a 12x24 if we've already beat a Mini-Boss that session) if you beat it you can earn a title. Page 29 of the 2.0 book has a table for the title you get for beating a particular boss in adventure mode.

Since rules-as-written for base-game Myth doesn't have a way beyond the 1.X Story Quests to put a Boss down, I think Journeyman is adding the Interrogate Commander action to get Bosses in Adventure mode in 2.X.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
zogre wrote:
Geoff wrote:

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. One of the flaws of 1.X Myth was that it's not possible to get titles without houseruling or running story quests.

Assuming you're willing to house-rule a Boss encounter in Adventure mode (mine is to drop a Boss on a 12x24 if we've already beat a Mini-Boss that session) if you beat it you can earn a title. Page 29 of the 2.0 book has a table for the title you get for beating a particular boss in adventure mode.

Since rules-as-written for base-game Myth doesn't have a way beyond the 1.X Story Quests to put a Boss down, I think Journeyman is adding the Interrogate Commander action to get Bosses in Adventure mode in 2.X.

Cheers

Yeah, but then you still have the issue that you can't interrogate a commander until you already have enough titles to earn your journeyman cards that let you interrogate.

I think journeyman rules add card changes for serendipity. You could get your interrogate that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
js379 wrote:

Yeah, but then you still have the issue that you can't interrogate a commander until you already have enough titles to earn your journeyman cards that let you interrogate.

Yeah, there's a lot of really cool systems in Myth, but they don't always mesh well together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chase
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You don't need to make up any house rules or play v1 stories in order to earn titles. There is a v2 quest chain for this.

1. To Cut off the Head...

2. On Darkened Heels

3. Darkness Tested

The last quest includes a boss, and then you add all 3 quests back into your deck to play again later. If you defeat the boss, you gain a title (see the table on page 29 of the v2 rulebook). The quest chain works with any monster types for variety and increasing difficulty.

To the original poster, I recommend playing through v2 quests and replaying the above quest chain as frequently as you want to face bosses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As more and more of this threads pop up, I'm thinking of building a MYTH starter campaign using the 2.0 quest from the base game and both my "destiny" and trainer mods.

My - still rough - idea is, to string the quest together and provide fixed level-up points. This will allow your group to play through the quests and at the end your heroes are ready for JM.

If I find the time I'll fill the "gaps" between the quests with a bit of story fluff or just start with a short "what's happening" between adventures section.

My aim is not to make a new module / quests but rather provide a guided way through the quests that preps your heroes for JM and its modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
I think one of the things I like most about Myth is that it's got the continuous play RPG aspect of Adventure mode if you want it and it's got the one-night-play mode of modules if you want that.

My group has also found that the game supports pretty well (unofficially) a deck-building challenge mode for one-night play. We start with non-levelled heroes, grant everyone at the table a number of deck manipulations (typically we do 3x the skull rating of the boss we intend to fight) and one title; then we spend 20 minutes making decks, drop down a tile, and play. First tile is standard single tile (warmup), second tile is a standard 12x24 with a miniboss, third tile is transition and pacing, and the fourth tile we go to 12x24 and drop a boss. We take traps over quests and try to play as fast as possible. Play time tends to be about 3 hours and win or lose we find it to be a challenging, fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
As more and more of this threads pop up, I'm thinking of building a MYTH starter campaign using the 2.0 quest from the base game and both my "destiny" and trainer mods.

My aim is not to make a new module / quests but rather provide a guided way through the quests that preps your heroes for JM and its modules.

Yes Please! I'm solo playing Myth, and my big concern like the original poster, is how to level up in time for Journeyman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.