Subject: Acolytes winner + discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[manually extracted from Terra Mystica: Erweiterungsbogen - rules contest for the special landscape tiles and cleaned up a bit, but I still find the result ugly. Maybe we should just wait the 6-8 months until the list with all clarifications is published by Feuerland ]

Acolytes:
Altar of sacrifice

Condition: none.
Cost: terraforming with 3 steps down on a culttrack for any land type except ice
Effect: With the Altar on board the acolytes also gain power when passing power thresholds when going down on the culttracks.

===

James Wolfpacker
(JamesWolfpacker)
This seems to be the most popular, but I'm afraid this might be too OP. I never had a shortage of power with Acolytes. If they get pw going down they would be unbeatable in certain round setups and even more with BON1, BON2, and BON8. Think about this: 1 early TE and 2 early water in R1-R3, R4 and R5 of same cult, R6 wouldn't matter; OR 2 of same cult early, 2 of same cult later, TE in first 5 rounds. Any other setup that has stacked cult bonuses is also abuse-able.

I gained 33pw going up the tracks in a 5p game. If I got it down too, I'd have an additional 28pw. That is 14pw in Bowl 3 and almost 3p in just 5pw to 1p conversions. If used as that, it would likely yield another 6pw-12pw and another 5pw to 1p or ACT2. If used for regular ACTs then it is about 4 more power actions.

===

Simon Agner Holm
(Agner)
So I just finished a 3player game using these variants: Acolytes (Altar of sacrifice), Fakirs ([Flight school) and Auren (Eldest tree).

Great game, acolytes won by 11 points. Not the biggest of victories, but I would have to agree with the above. This gives a little too much control over their power generation to the Acolytes. Especially late game when their SH is built. They where already quite strong in terms of manipulating the power wheel.
In the last round I think I (acolytes) had 5, maybe 6, turns after the the others had passed: just terraforming, use power to get priest, send priest to cult ect...
Despite early mistakes I still managed to win largest network and 2 cults (against an Auren player!!).

Maybe it would be better to add some sort of condition, so it would be harder and more expensive to get the SH/Altar combo going?

Last thing: Why the discount on the cost? why not just make it a regular terraform?

===

James Wolfpacker
(JamesWolfpacker)
Just an extra comment, keep in mind you are essentially giving the Acolytes the Alchemists SH power for "digging." Frequently it will be even better or double that when dropping from 7 (or 8) down to 4.

===

Robert
(DocCool)
Upon reading the comments, I changed my mind and unvoted this one. Too strong.

===

(Skyswooper)
DocCool wrote:
Upon reading the comments, I changed my mind and unvoted this one. Too strong.

There is room for nerfing it.
I would at least give it a building condition and/or remove the discount on the terraforming cost.

===

Robin Zigmond
With Acolytes being among the weakest factions at the moment, I think they need a strong power on their special landscape.

I really don't think this one is game-breaking - you need precise timing of your priest placements to get decent value out of it, I suspect. And the other 2 Acolytes suggestions on this list both seem very underwhelming to me (even though one seems to have started a discussion as to whether it is OP or not??).

===

James Wolfpacker
(JamesWolfpacker)
No the discussion is that the Rotunda with +1 cult step per track is too weak especially compared to the other two choices. I prefer open access to ACT2.

Skyswooper has a point. This *might* be ok with a SH condition and normal costs. It is all in the play testing. Given that their are 20 factions, whomever is playing with a faction needs to be competitive with that faction when testing with the bonus landscape. It doesn't do much good for someone to test with a faction they can't play properly.

===

Space Trucker
(SpaceTrucker)
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
No the discussion is that the Rotunda with +1 cult step per track is too weak especially compared to the other two choices.
Isn't this already discussed bellow the "Rotunda" entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alban Thomas
France
Blain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to guess if it will turn too strong or not.

thumbsup I like the effect.

thumbsdown I'm not a fan of the additionnal twist on the cost conditions. Orange factions are freaking aggressive already, now that most players know how to use them well. One more easy-screwage possibility by placing this on an opponent homeland is not necessary, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke s.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The quick fix to that would be to just keep the regular terraform rules als stated above.

I know this altar gives the acolytes a lot of control over their power income, but it suits them as a race in my opinion. And in general it makes up for the lack of resources that i noticed while playing them myself.

Playtesting should still be done in order to see how it turns out. I have done 1 match with them and they were pretty fun to play with the altar up. I like the flexibility it gives to the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.