$15.00
$30.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My First Impressions: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wigg
msg tools
My Deluxe edition turned up yesterday so after a lot of whining I finally managed a game with my girlfriend.

It feels a bit like Mage Knight meets Seven Wonders, only just played once last night so will change my rating (7/10) after more play throughs but really enjoyed it.
You use random resources on your turn to produce units and buildings from your hand, trying to build up abilities and an army whilst keeping half an eye on your 2 quest cards. Any resources you dont use can be used by the next player which is a nice dynamic and keeps the game moving. You can then freely discard cards and one quest and then draw back up to your hand limit as do the other players. Once you have a decent army you can choose to battle the dungeons or other players (we just played PVE) at the start of your turn to go after victory points, loot, or to complete quests. Play continues until the main city deck is exhausted which I found I could accelerate quickly (when I thought I was winning) by ditching my hand each round.

The random nature of resource pulls and monsters will annoy some but I really liked it and it will add variety to future games.
The thing that needs to be tightened to make this an 8 or 9/10 game is the game length and therefore the main deck. The main deck is a little intimidating in size and the game rules of 'just cut it in half for a shorter game' doesnt work well as you might miss out on entire troop types (especially on first playthrough with not enough shuffling), I think it would be better to shuffle in 50% heroes, buildings, units rather than purely at random. Or have it like Dominion where you can pick the types of things in play, a game might be really annoying if your deck has 20 farms but no one wants to use them.

There needs to be an FAQ sharpish as well as the game is actually very straighforward but a couple of rules were not clear, ie. any unused resources from the bag were left in a discard pile but do I put the ones I used back in the bag? and some buildings say 'take a resource from the discard and place it here' well does it stay there if I dont use it? can I take one of the rare double resources?

The game is very well made though which I am very happy about having backed it, the art is great and my girlfriend despite knowing nothing about Pillars of Eternity was starting to get into the theme of it.

I will give this a better review after more playthroughs, especially with my usual board game crowd to see their responses.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are.... Are you in the United States by chance? I have been patiently waiting for mine. I got a shipping thing from ShipNaked around a week ago so I am hoping soon!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:
Are.... Are you in the United States by chance? I have been patiently waiting for mine. I got a shipping thing from ShipNaked around a week ago so I am hoping soon!
Not even a shipping notice here, although I am so far behind at this point I am not sure it matters.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the game!

I can answer your questions.

Resource tokens that are drawn from the bag are always discarded to the discard pool whether used or not. Once the bag is empty, you immediately put the discarded ones back in the bag.

If you are talking about the Storeroom building card, you can store any resource token on it, either single or double. And it can stay there as long as you want.

martimer wrote:
miloshot wrote:
Are.... Are you in the United States by chance? I have been patiently waiting for mine. I got a shipping thing from ShipNaked around a week ago so I am hoping soon!
Not even a shipping notice here, although I am so far behind at this point I am not sure it matters.

The US ship should be docked by now. We've asked for confirmation from ShipNaked (our fillfillment house) but they are at Gen Con right now so we probably won't hear back for a few days. The product has to navigate through Customs, then get loaded/trucked to the ShipNaked warehouse. Then repacked to ship to the backers. So there's still a few weeks of that.

Martin Gallo, you should have received a shipping confirmation email by now. Check your spam folder. If not there, go to this link for a status update- http://www.shipnaked.com/status/

ShipNaked is responsible for all fulfillment so just go to that website link and fill in the form with your info and they will be happy to track down your order.

Please note that Gen Con is happening now and so there might be a delay in response

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Martin Gallo, you should have received a shipping confirmation email by now. Check your spam folder. If not there, go to this link for a status update- http://www.shipnaked.com/status/

ShipNaked is responsible for all fulfillment so just go to that website link and fill in the form with your info and they will be happy to track down your order.

Please note that Gen Con is happening now and so there might be a delay in response
Just a shipping address confirmation, not a shipping notice. I know it is in the system somewhere and I am not complaining, just looking forward to adding to my growing pile of unplayed games. I hope the SN people have a great time at GenCon and take a couple of days to relax after. I hope I get to play soon. I hope the game is successful.

No worries here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Martin Gallo, you should have received a shipping confirmation email by now. Check your spam folder. If not there, go to this link for a status update- http://www.shipnaked.com/status/

ShipNaked is responsible for all fulfillment so just go to that website link and fill in the form with your info and they will be happy to track down your order.

Please note that Gen Con is happening now and so there might be a delay in response
Just a shipping address confirmation, not a shipping notice. I know it is in the system somewhere and I am not complaining, just looking forward to adding to my growing pile of unplayed games. I hope the SN people have a great time at GenCon and take a couple of days to relax after. I hope I get to play soon. I hope the game is successful.

No worries here.

That's good to hear. Just wanted to make sure you got an email about verifying your address. We're getting close to US shipping starting. It's been a long road but the end is in sight!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wigg
msg tools
Im in the UK, received my shipnaked email 25/07/16 and received the game 02/08/16

Thanks Scott Everts for the clarification.

It was cards brewery and treasury, it we took a resource did we lose it at the end of the turn if unused (I assumed yes but wasnt sure)and could we take a double?

Mostly the card descriptions were excellent but I know my usual gamers and without a clarifying FAQ people get put off by rule disputes in their first game and are unlikely to play again even if they liked it.

One extra thought;

I found combat really easy (we have played a lot of mage knight) but I know some gamers will find it really confusing at first, I think a 3 lane spinner device of some sort would be excellent for each player, one where you can quickly spin it round to add up attack, defense and armor. So when you start removing cards that are defeated/destroyed you still know what you had at the start and to more clearly show the total including buildings, dice and chants which at a glance is not obvious
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
JockMcRowdy wrote:
It was cards brewery and treasury, it we took a resource did we lose it at the end of the turn if unused (I assumed yes but wasnt sure)and could we take a double?

Ahh, yes, they get discarded if not used at the end of passing them around. Granary is the same.

JockMcRowdy wrote:
I found combat really easy (we have played a lot of mage knight) but I know some gamers will find it really confusing at first, I think a 3 lane spinner device of some sort would be excellent for each player, one where you can quickly spin it round to add up attack, defense and armor. So when you start removing cards that are defeated/destroyed you still know what you had at the start and to more clearly show the total including buildings, dice and chants which at a glance is not obvious

That's a neat idea! I've hand made spinners before. I'm also wondering if a pile of tokens with each symbol and numbers would work since those are easier to construct. I'll think about it this weekend and see what I can come up with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.