Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got so excited to see this game only to be crushed after seeing the player count cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will definitely make it harder for some groups. I'm glad to see designers making games for specific counts and publishers keeping that honest, instead of trying to make every game available for every player count, though.

There are some good designs that need more players and I'd hate to see publishers not supporting those or compromising the design just to shoehorn in a wider count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
That will definitely make it harder for some groups. I'm glad to see designers making games for specific counts and publishers keeping that honest, instead of trying to make every game available for every player count, though.

There are some good designs that need more players and I'd hate to see publishers not supporting those or compromising the design just to shoehorn in a wider count.

Yep, I agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
This is some serious balls from FFG. It's an instant day one skip purchase for me, I am excited to see some videos and reviews of this though, simply cause I like the universe they built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eyal Itsik
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
4-6 players is sadness
Sadness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RatherDashingIL wrote:
alandric wrote:
4-6 players is sadness
Sadness?

Technically,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
RatherDashingIL wrote:
alandric wrote:
4-6 players is sadness
Sadness?

Technically, this is New Angeles.

What's worse, getting kicked into that pit in Sparta or getting kicked off of the Beanstalk?

Probably the latter. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Coren wrote:
RatherDashingIL wrote:
alandric wrote:
4-6 players is sadness
Sadness?

Technically, this is New Angeles.

What's worse, getting kicked into that pit in Sparta or getting kicked off of the Beanstalk?

Probably the latter. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
<FFG> You can change the player count to 1-5 by buying a second copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Fail! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
I got so excited to see this game only to be crushed after seeing the player count cry

Me too. I guess this game isn't for me. It looks AWESOME, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty excited! My collection could use some heavier games for 4-6 that aren't Dudes On A Map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see more strict player counts but also does limit the times I'd get it to the table. Game of Thrones says 3-6 but really should also be 4-6.

Pure speculation but my guess is due to the fact that players have "rivals" which I'm assuming are secret need at least 4 players to be balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
I'm happy to see more strict player counts but also does limit the times I'd get it to the table. Game of Thrones says 3-6 but really should also be 4-6.

Pure speculation but my guess is due to the fact that players have "rivals" which I'm assuming are secret need at least 4 players to be balanced.

still lame yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Puhlmann
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:

Funny, the player count does make it even more interesting for me. There are so many games for 2-4 players out there, no need to make more. Good to see designers trying something new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

Funny, the player count does make it even more interesting for me. There are so many games for 2-4 players out there, no need to make more. Good to see designers trying something new

No need to exclude people, just spend time developing it better, come up with a double sided board for different player counts and/or an AI for neutral players if neede.. The options are endless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

No need to exclude people, just spend time developing it better, come up with a double sided board for different player counts and/or an AI for neutral players if neede.. The options are endless.

I look at it the other way: no need to exclude exploring game designs even if they only work at certain player counts. I know you feel every game should be a two-player game, but there actually may be design space that is worth exploring that wouldn't support two players while there are fantastic designs that are great for two that shouldn't support larger counts, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

I look at it the other way: no need to exclude exploring game designs even if they only work at certain player counts. I know you feel every game should be a two-player game, but there actually may be design space that is worth exploring that wouldn't support two players while there are fantastic designs that are great for two that shouldn't support larger counts, too.

I wouldn't want them to "harm" the game by slapping a 2-6 player label on the box, but I am majorly disappointed that the only thing stopping me from purchasing this product is the player count. I hope a 2 or 3 player variant is added in an expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
Coren wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

I wouldn't want them to "harm" the game by slapping a 2-6 player label on the box, but I am majorly disappointed that the only thing stopping me from purchasing this product is the player count. I hope a 2 or 3 player variant is added in an expansion...

I get it. I probably won't play this, either. I'm not exactly hurting for games to play, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Robb
United States
Choctaw
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
Coren wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

I don't think it would be very fun with three or less players... It's described as a negotiation and manipulation game, where you'll constantly be making deals and offers/counteroffers. With only three people it would basically be 2v1 the whole time.

Three players could possibly work with everyone controlling 2 corps, but even then I don't know how the negotiation would play out with just three people.

This sort of reminds me why I don't like Cosmic Encounter with 3 players. However I would love to be proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

Couldn't agree more...and you can see the 1PG micro badge under my avatar. There just aren't that many 2-4 hour games for a big group that come out and its refreshing to see FFG starting a new IP with a game of this scale. It'll definitely be on my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

Not every game is playable with 2-3 players. This is a negotiation/ally-making game. With just two players, who can you ally with? How do you have an AI that you can "convince" to join your side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
H4deZ wrote:
alandric wrote:

Wow, you make it sound so easy...

Nobody is excluded from playing the game, "just" spend time getting a bigger gaming group together. Look for people here on BGG, put an ad in the local paper... The options are endless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, think about the core mechanic. You need one player to make an offer, another player to make a counter offer, and at least one player more to decide which offer takes effect.

If you have only three players, it just becomes essentially king-making (like three-player GoT).

This may seem like a clunky mechanic, But! I think it's really theme-driven. The Android setting has four Megacorps: NBN, Weyland, Jinteki, and Haas-Bioroid. They're completely peerless on Earth and all have stakes in New Angeles. It makes sense from a theme standpoint to have them all present.

There's also the traitor mechanic. Generally the Megacorps don't want a sovereignty to step in and declare martial law in New Angeles - unless you do, because that's your wincon.

I love that New Angeles is more theme-driven than Mainframe. Mainframe is kinda neat, but it's pretty abstract and the Android/Android: Netrunner theme is pretty secondary. I love the setting and I'm super excited that it's getting more consideration like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try to please everyone, you'll probably end up pleasing no one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.