Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defeating monster with spell - OFFICIAL ANSWER rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
My question to FFG support service:
"Hello, i have a question about killing monster with spell. This is have some debate on BGG, but still has not official answer. 1) After rolling a dice I have use a spell to kill a monster (full monster task) on MY adventure card. Is it count as succeed roll and I can't complete any tasks on this roll with my dice? What if monster task was partial? 2) After rolling a dice I have use a spell to kill a monster (full monster task) on ANOTHER adventure card. Is it count as succeed roll and I can't complete any tasks on this roll with my dice?

Best regards,
Sergei."

And now we have an answer:
Hello Sergei,

Thank you for your rules question regarding Elder Sign. Defeating a monster with a spell does not count as succeeding a roll, in either case. In both cases, you may still complete (or fail to complete) a task with your dice on your own adventure. Hope this clears things up.

Best Regards,
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer
dbeltrami@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. My. God. angry

I mean no offence to you, Sergei. Thank you for trying to clarify rules through official channels. But there has previously been an official answer to this from FFG, and it contradicts this one!

That official reply was from Christopher Hosch, Managing Game Producer, who said:
Quote:
I believe your question can be boiled down to: Does defeating a monster with an item or spell card count as completing a task? The answer is yes, it does count as completing a task.

Sort it out, FFG! I have no idea if Christopher still works for you or not, but once an official ruling like this is given, a permanent note should be made of it, so that future official rulings don't contradict it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would have been "it does not count as completing a task."

But yep, here's a contradiction. Gonna grab the Elder Popcorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
xipuloxx wrote:
Oh. My. God. angry

I mean no offence to you, Sergei. Thank you for trying to clarify rules through official channels. But there has previously been an official answer to this from FFG, and it contradicts this one!

That official reply was from Christopher Hosch, Managing Game Producer, who said:
Quote:
I believe your question can be boiled down to: Does defeating a monster with an item or spell card count as completing a task? The answer is yes, it does count as completing a task.

Sort it out, FFG! I have no idea if Christopher still works for you or not, but once an official ruling like this is given, a permanent note should be made of it, so that future official rulings don't contradict it.
great, I think I will ask again using your information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
I have got another one message from FFG:
Thanks for clear answer, but according to some new information I am must to ask you again. Some times ago one of BGG member already got the official answer from Christopher Hosch, Managing Game Producer and his answer totally contradicts this one: "I believe your question can be boiled down to: Does defeating a monster with an item or spell card count as completing a task? The answer is yes, it does count as completing a task.

The answer can found in the FAQ entry on page 4: "What do items mean when they say 'defeat a monster'?" In the answer, it states "When a player uses an item or a spell that 'defeats' a monster, that player chooses any monster in play and turns that monster facedown […] None of the monster’s costs must be paid and all of that monster’s tasks are considered completed." (emphasis mine).

In the case of Flute of the Outer Gods, the player can play it after rolling his dice to defeat a monster (completing that task) and then reroll his dice to complete successive tasks without having to discard a die.

Thank you for your question and happy gaming! Christopher Hosch»
So, which one answer is correct?

Hello,

Elder Sign has a large degree of minor variations on wording, as well as a vast and ever-increasing number of items and spells, which as the game has continued to develop and change hands has led to situations such as this. The FAQ states that the monster’s tasks are considered completed, and thus an adventure may be finished when all tasks are completed.However, despite this - it does not count as a successful roll. The monster task is already completed before the game checks to see if a task was completed from the roll. The flute of the outer gods is specifically worded to be used after rolling, and as a result of this has in the past been ruled to be used in that way. Bind monster, despite having a similar effect, does not have the same timing text. The next FAQ should list what I have just relayed to you as our official answer for this question.

Thank you,
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Sergei.

But this sounds like Dane is now saying that "Flute of the Outer Gods" and "Bind Monster" do not in fact have the same effect...

It's true one of them says to use it "after rolling" and the other doesn't specify, but I'd always assumed they worked the same, and I don't remember any previous hint that this wasn't the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find all of this pretty... confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mb
Lets continue...
Thanks you very much for great player support, now i have got the answer for my initial question. However, according to your answer i have got another one - Is Flute of the Outer Gods and Bind Monster works at the same way? You have notice that text on this cards is different and this is a little confusing.

Yes - they work the same way, sorry for the confusion. My pointing out in their differing wording was just intended to illustrate how over time in Elder Sign multiple wordings of the same effect effect have appeared. Flute of the elder gods is used in the same way as bind monster, other than that it can only be used immediately after rolling. It still can’t be used to sidestep the need to remove a die if you fail, and you can still complete another task after using it. Apologies for the confusion regarding conflicting answers in the past.
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer

So, Flute of the elder gods must be used ONLY after rolling, but Bind monster can be used at any time at owner turn? This is a little different effects...

That is correct. Both defeat a monster in the same way, but one can be used more freely than the other, as per the timing restriction on the card.
Dane Beltrami
Game Developer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.