Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a huge fan of Nightfall since it was first released. I own everything ever released for it, minus I believe, the last 3 promo cards. It is currently ranked as my second favorite board game ever. So, it had been far too long since I'd gotten to play it. My most recent play (until last night) was January 2 2015. So yes, it had been a LONG time.

A member of our game group had expressed interest in trying it, since he'd never played it. So I brought it last night and got in a 3 player session. We played with the base game and Eastern Skies. I was surprised by how little I'd forgotten. The only thing I had to look up was the 'Link' keyword. Other than that, explaining the game was real smooth and easy. The new player picked it up very quickly, created his starter set (I'd forgotten that there were THREE sets now!), and we got rolling.

I was a little rusty, but I got a real good combo going soon enough. With direct damage cards like Rend and Tear and Death Grip, it was a bloody battle. With Shock and Awe added in the mix, it was pretty crazy, but very fun. In the end, I was able to sneak out a victory with 9 wounds, compared to 10 and 11.

Playing again reminded me of just how much I love this game. I'm really hoping it won't be another year and a half before I get to play it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very fun and underrated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love articles like this one as it gives such rare perspective on a game (namely the longevity of fun)!! I've never played this game but have had my eye on it! Did you ever post a formal review? What other games do you love to help give us some perspective on your gaming sensibilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
I love articles like this one as it gives such rare perspective on a game (namely the longevity of fun)!! I've never played this game but have had my eye on it! Did you ever post a formal review? What other games do you love to help give us some perspective on your gaming sensibilities?

I actually never did post a review of this game. I did post one of a later expansion, Coldest War, though admittedly, it wasn't my best work.

As for my gaming preferences, I have a pretty wide range. Here's my current Top 25 though, if it helps at all:

1. War of the Ring
2. Nightfall
3. Agricola
4. Above and Below
5. Battlelore
6. Trickerion
7. Suburbia
8. Colosseum
9. Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
10. Scoville
11. Dungeon Lords
12. Power Grid
13. Space Alert
14. Millennium Blades
15. Runebound
16. T'zolkien: The Mayan Calendar
17. Tavarua
18. Breaking Away
19. Blood Rage
20. Tiny Epic Kingdoms
21. Steam Park
22. Galaxy Trucker
23. Alien Frontiers
24. Kings of Air and Steam
25. Grind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind posting a link to your coldest war review I'd love to read it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link. Again, it's not my best review. In fact, it might be my worst. I was actually a little embarrassed by it when I just re-read it.

Coldest War Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one time I don't go to game night and you play Nightfall. shake Thanks, wife, for having a baby... You should bring it on Tuesday, Kevin, as I should be there. Oh, and AEG has announced Thunderstone 3rd Edition, so I'll have to make you play that when it comes out. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
The one time I don't go to game night and you play Nightfall. shake Thanks, wife, for having a baby... You should bring it on Tuesday, Kevin, as I should be there. Oh, and AEG has announced Thunderstone 3rd Edition, so I'll have to make you play that when it comes out. devil

Haha. I had no idea you were interested in playing Nightfall. I'll bring it Tuesday for sure. I'm always up for s game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where you guys located? Maybe I'll fly out and join ya! :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho. Practically next door to New Jersey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we'll see ya tonight, Skrell. 7 o'clock sharp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.