GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,733 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Belgae Bot Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see from the photo the Belgae are spread a bit thinly and their leader is over in Germania. Event is no good so I go down the flowchart. I can't rally (though I'd like to) as I can't get 3 pieces down anywhere I control, I have more than 4 resources so I March. So do I have this right:

March 3 warbands from Morini/Menapii region into Nervii region. I believe I have to leave at least 1 behind. That lets me take control of that region.

And thats it I think as I can't move my Leader in Germania as I would lose control there. Or do I move him anyway to join the warbands I just moved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3+ warbands threshold is global, not per region. Therefore they will rally since between Atrebates and Morini 4 warbands are placed (no control needed to place warbands in Atrebates, control is only needed to place allies)

For marching, I think the leader would move since the "keep control" clause is only talking about leaving warbands in a region. Don't have the flowchart in front of me to double check the exact wording though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I can see that rule 8.5.3 says that it is 3 warbands in total but the Rally command says in each Region that I have control. So as I have no control in the Atrebates region how can I rally there?

Or does the IF statement (if Belgic control) not apply to the OR statement (if Allies, etc place Warbands). As there is a comma after the IF statement I have assumed that that criteria has to be met for anything else to happen. If it doesn't then I have been playing all my Rally commands wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
OK I can see that rule 8.5.3 says that it is 3 warbands in total but the Rally command says in each Region that I have control. So as I have no control in the Atrebates region how can I rally there?

The Belgae can always Rally to place at least one Warband in each Belgica region, regardless of control. 3.3.1 "Rally" under the paragraph labeled HOME REGION.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. Now all makes sense. And of course I should have figured that out as there are little Rally icons in each of those regions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tasmanuk wrote:
Or does the IF statement (if Belgic control) not apply to the OR statement (if Allies, etc place Warbands).
That is the case, you only need control to place allies. Placing warbands (equal to allies/citadels, or minimum one in the home regions like Tucker already said) and upgrading an ally into a citadel do not require control

See rule 3.3.1 where it is more clear, since the "if control" clause is written only in the bullet talking about placing allies.

The player aids are quite condensed; If you know what the rules already they are clear, but they can be quite easy to misunderstand, as happened here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

The Belgae can always Rally to place at least one Warband in each Belgica region, regardless of control. 3.3.1 "Rally" under the paragraph labeled HOME REGION.

Is this right? Since there are 3 Belgica regions, doesn't this mean that the Belgae will always be able to place 3+ warbands as long as they have at least 3 available? If so, won't they just keep on rallying until they run out of warbands? That seems fairly passive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i remember the playbook example correctly (i think the last one with the march) the idea for non player Belgae is to rally till he has as much warbands as possible on table, so that he can then strike hard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

Is this right? Since there are 3 Belgica regions, doesn't this mean that the Belgae will always be able to place 3+ warbands as long as they have at least 3 available? If so, won't they just keep on rallying until they run out of warbands? That seems fairly passive.

A couple considerations:

Rally only comes up after a Battle or March check and an Event check, any of which can be quite active rather than passive.

Rally condition can be denied because Belgae have less than 3 Resources (in which case Raid becomes likely) or because a Belgica Region is Devastated (in addition to the eventual fielding of Warbands so that there are less than 3).

That said, if one feels that the NP Belgae are too passive in building their army, try out changing that "3+" to "4+" and see what happens!

Best regards! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
brayle wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

A couple considerations:

Rally only comes up after a Battle or March check and an Event check, any of which can be quite active rather than passive.

Rally condition can be denied because Belgae have less than 3 Resources (in which case Raid becomes likely) or because a Belgica Region is Devastated (in addition to the eventual fielding of Warbands so that there are less than 3).

That said, if one feels that the NP Belgae are too passive in building their army, try out changing that "3+" to "4+" and see what happens!

Best regards! Volko
Once again I don't have the flowchart in front of me (I really need to scan them so I can have a digital copy to go with the digital rules...), but isn't there also a limiter of <X warbands on the board? Or was that only for another faction?

In general I found the Gallic factions rallying more often than I would do as a player, and in doing so make decisions I wouldn't have made like replacing an ally with a citadel instead of placing another ally (even with Vercingetorix where the ally would result in an extra warband placed immediately), but came to realize that those aren't really bad decisions, they just have a different play style from me.
And of course the "always command + SA" advantage balances the situations where they actually make a sub-optimal choice out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're thinking of the Aedui and Arverni bots.

Yes, in general the Non-players are more conservative in style, relying on wearing the player down together. We went that route because we expect that bots are less able to judge the right time to take a big risk than players, and we want to avoid them self-destructing too often.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you also do that because players cannot win normally during standard solitaire play, and so the bots have time to build that big force?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
brayle wrote:
JazzFish wrote:
tasmanuk wrote:

A couple considerations:

Best regards! Volko

Thanks, Volko. That helps me see a bit better what motivates Belgae-bot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Didn't you also do that because players cannot win normally during standard solitaire play, and so the bots have time to build that big force?

Yes, in a way: normal 1-player difficulty usually leads to games going the distance, so favors strategies that play for the long game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.