Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this may sound like a silly complaint, but I love it when a game box has a side made to look nice on the shelf when stored vertically (with the text in the proper orientation). I had already seen the image of the Pegasus edition when I bought the TMG version, so I was very disappointed to find out that my box didn't have that feature. TMG, why on Earth did you have to change the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. I like the Pegasus edition's clean look better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth stating that we didn't "change" from their orientation. We licensed from Hall and not Pegasus, and the versions were printed at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many more people store their games horizontally rather than vertically on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think many more people store their games horizontally rather than vertically on the shelf.

I think the opposite, vertical for the win!

Let the thumb-war begin.
Poll: Storing games.
How do you primarily store your games?
Horizontally
Vertically
A nearly even split
      217 answers
Poll created by Gregaria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

So what? I myself have more games stored horizontally than vertically, but it's just one side of the box. Why not please both crowds? Also, my point was that the original box already had this side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
So what? I myself have more games stored horizontally than vertically, but it's just one side of the box. Why not please both crowds? Also, my point was that the original box already had this side.

As the publisher posted above, neither was the original, they were made at the same time. And the horizontal orientation is going to be preferred by those who store their games horizontally, while the vertical orientation is going to be preferred by those who store their games vertically; I don't see any way to satisfy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
(...) the horizontal orientation is going to be preferred by those who store their games horizontally, while the vertical orientation is going to be preferred by those who store their games vertically; I don't see any way to satisfy both.

Really?! What part of "one side" didn't you understand? How many sides of the box do you see when it is on the shelf? Just face it accordingly, Einstein. Or do you put your shelves in the middle of the room, so that you can see two opposing sides and one of them will be wrong? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I don't see any way to satisfy both.

There are many game boxes that have one long side oriented vertically, and the other oriented horizontally...thus satisfying both.

(That doesn't mean that it would have been practical for TMG to change this particular box, given the explanation of the print run...but for someone designing a box from the beginning, having both options makes sense.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Really?! What part of "one side" didn't you understand? How many sides of the box do you see when it is on the shelf? Just face it accordingly, Einstein. Or do you put your shelves in the middle of the room, so that you can see two opposing sides and one of them will be wrong? shake

I own hundreds of games and zero that have different orientations of the text on facing sides. It seems like a poor solution, because most people aren't going to carefully turn their games around to have the right side facing out, and the people who store their games vertically aren't going to want to have some of them facing left and some facing right.

What I really wonder the most is why the simplest disagreement has to immediately devolve into insults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
There are many game boxes that have one long side oriented vertically, and the other oriented horizontally...thus satisfying both.

Can you give me an example? I'm quite curious now, I've never seen this. Do you think they are consistent about whether it's the left side or the right side that is vertical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Litespeed Rider wrote:

Can you give me an example? I'm quite curious now, I've never seen this. Do you think they are consistent about whether it's the left side or the right side that is vertical?

Just at a quick glance, many of my Uwe Rosenberg games (published by Z-man) do this (Agricola, At the Gates of Loyang, Caverna: The Cave Farmers, Le Havre...). Also Mayfair-published games Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, Murano. I can edit this with some more later if you want. meeple

(On all of these, the LEFT side is the vertical one...don't know if that is always consistent.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Can you give me an example? I'm quite curious now, I've never seen this.

Just from my collection: Terra Prime (first game published by TMG, I think), Village, Deus, Elysium, Luna, Thunderstone, Ghost Stories, Rococo, Asgard, Alien Frontiers, 7 Wonders, Black Fleet, Sapiens, Back to the Future and just everything from Alea.

Quote:
Do you think they are consistent about whether it's the left side or the right side that is vertical?

Yes, always the left side.

Quote:
What I really wonder the most is why the simplest disagreement has to immediately devolve into insults.

Maybe because you are most often annoying. I've told you once to please ignore me and stop replying to my posts and you outright refused to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Grogan
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Litespeed Rider wrote:

If memory serves, both Tuscany and Viticulture have boxes with alternating vertical/horizontal sides. For myself, I appreciate having the choice, but it's not that big of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I own hundreds of games and zero that have different orientations of the text on facing sides.
Don't you own Village? That was one of the ones that Gláucio said does this.

It does seem a bit amusing that you couldn't think of a way that boxes could have a side oriented vertically and another oriented horizontally. It seems pretty obvious that a box could have different designs on opposite sides.

DaviddesJ wrote:
That almost never happens to me. If you're experiencing that frequently there may be another "obvious" explanation that you're overlooking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My, my! Look at the time! Is it Wednesday already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say, look at the weather. I do believe we'll have to call this thread on account of rain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
That almost never happens to me. If you're experiencing that frequently there may be another "obvious" explanation that you're overlooking.

I guess in this case it's because Gláucio despises me and seizes the opportunity to insult me when I post, pretty much regardless of what I say. That was one of the possibilities I considered, but not the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I guess in this case it's because Gláucio despises me and seizes the opportunity to insult me when I post, pretty much regardless of what I say. That was one of the possibilities I considered, but not the only one.

See?

I don't "despise" you, but sometimes I don't know if you are really exposing a point of view or trolling. For example, I commented on having one side of the box fitting vertical storage, to please both crowds. I even put "one" in boldface. Your idiotic reply: "I don't see any way to satisfy both." I don't think you are stupid, so I can only take you as a troll. Also, you never admit you are wrong and argue ad nauseam until your interlocutor gives up, every time. I would really prefer not to interact with you, but you keep replying to my posts with comments like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I don't "despise" you, but sometimes I don't know if you are really exposing a point of view or trolling.

I find this good life advice:

Assume positive intent

Of course, once the insults start flying then it's kind of too late.

Quote:
I would really prefer not to interact with you

That would be easy to achieve, just don't respond to me, especially with profuse insults. I have never found that insulting people gets them to shut up and leave me alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Also, you never admit you are wrong and argue ad nauseam until your interlocutor gives up, every time.
Or if you prove his point wrong, he'll keep arguing and changing what he's saying so that he finishes saying something completely different than what he had been originally. At which point he'll claim he never said it. It's pointless to argue with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
That would be easy to achieve, just don't respond to me, especially with profuse insults.

Easy if you allowed me! If you don't talk to me - again, as I have asked you already and you flat out said "no" - I will not respond to you. Deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Easy if you allowed me! If you don't talk to me - again, as I have asked you already and you flat out said "no" - I will not respond to you. Deal?

No, I'm not going to keep some special list of people who are insulting and abusive to me and try to remember who they are and how they want to be handled. By the next time you insult me, I'll have forgotten this one until you remind me of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This all belongs in the "Airing of Grievances" thread, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh!, now you play the victim. Unbelievable! laugh

Suit yourself, dude. I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.