Subject: New to Eclipse (And 4x games in general) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Benner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hi Guys,

A couple years ago I bought this game as I had a regularge group of guys coming by to play games and we were having a blast. We wanted to kick it up a notch and get something a bit bigger, but no soone had I picked this up than stuff happened and my group fell apart.

Fast forward to now and I've got a small group of people interested in the game (we saw it in a local shop and I admitted to owning it), and are planning on playing. Presently I own:

Base Game
Rise of the Ancients
Pulsar
Solar
Nebula

Obviously we aren't going to start playing with all the expansions at once, but I would like to have some opinions on which pieces from which sets add the most bang for your buck and would also like to know if there is a check list to insure that you've got all the possible options.

Also,

Does anyone know a way to get the Print and Play expansions printed on similar materials to the base game and if they are worth it? Let me know.

Thanks

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would take it very slow, to maximise pleasure and minimise headaches over new rules each time.

First game: Only the base game, only the base race (Terrans).

Games 2-4: the same.

Games 5-10: Only the base game, but also the other base game races.

Games 11+: start adding expansions.

Of course you can go faster if you wish, but I would certainly play at least 2 Terrans-only games and not introduce any expansions until game 5.

Whatever you do, have loads of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only print & play thing I strongly suggest is the Wormhole Sector fan variant if you are playing with lower player counts (3-5 players). That I would actually introduce as early as game 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing is that the expansion is pretty modular - it has five or six components that you can add to a game. I'd recommend a base game as terrans first, to get the hang of things, then read the rules for ROTA and decide what sounds fun/interesting, and add that.

Pulsar/Supernova/Nebula can be added whenever (probably after your first game) and just explained/looked up when they show up.

For the PNP components, I haven't finished creating all the PNP expansions yet, but you should have some blank components left over after punching the game/expansion. I printed the PNP stuff onto label paper, cut it out, and stickered it onto some of the blank components. Works great for the "Ambassadors" expansion I believe (which is one of the better ones anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Rise of the Ancients as soon as my game group had fun playing the base. I introduced the extra techs right off to help offset the reported power of plasma missiles. We haven't even played with alien races yet. I haven't included anything else yet since we're not totally comfortable with all aspects of the base game, but the extra techs were no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Benner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses. We do plan on going slow and only with the base expansion. I think we will be playing a series of smaller games to get used to it and then a couple of larger games before throwing in outside stuff. We will be 6 people in all I think.

Really was curious which ones added the most depth to the game. I understand that they may not come out but hey.

Also, does more players add much more depth to the game?

Thanks agsin!

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the expansions, but, in my opinion, they add variety more depth. The base game already has 95% of the depth.

As for player count, 2 players is drastically different, but 3 players already captures most of the richness of the game.

With higher players count it is much harder to keep track of everything that is going on and how the actions of someone at the opposite end of the galaxy will affect you, even indirectly, already from the start. For example, an aggressive race two steps away from you is often good news, because it will put pressure on your neighbour, who will probably play under-optimally. But if your neighbour starts escalating militarily too, do not put a big "target" sign on your own sectors, do something defensively. That kind of stuff.

I think that, to start, 3-4 players might be the ideal number. It plays much faster this way too. Try 6 players only after your group has got reasonably fast and not with too many newbies, unless you are willing to put in the hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion would be to introduce Rise of the Ancients on game 3. No need to wait to plug in all that goodness, especially as you've been waiting so long. The only difference I would recommend is that you do a phased approach with the modules in Rise of the Ancients. Just add Developments or Rare Tech to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the people. If they're experienced gamers, there's really no reason to hold off on any of the expansion content (unless there's something that you actively dislike). The farthest I'd go with anyone who has played similar games in the past is suggesting that they play Terrans for their first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
I personally add the rare tech from Rise of the Ancients to rebalance plasma missles even for base games. So for the first so many games, I'd play Terrans plus rare tech; or just Terrans.

I don't have the mini expansions, or any significant PnP, but the next thing I'd add is Alien races. Magellan from RotA is one the easiest to play, so I'd also include that with the first batch picks.

Developments (RotA) and the extra tiles from RotA can be added whenever you want some more options or variety. The same with the Ancient Homeworlds, and/or the upgraded Galactic Center. None of that is particularly hard to play with.

My favorite number for the game is probably 4. I only play with the warp sector variant with 5.

I think the game is also more balanced with the pass order variant (next round plays in pass order, not just clockwise from starting player). Officially that appears in Ship Pack 1, I think, but we just use a few playing cards to mark it. But you may want to leave that out the first one or two games why people have enough other things they're distracted by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Benner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
I've heard that Plasma Missiles can be game defining, so the counter being in the Expansion is good. We'll be for game one:

3-4 players
All Terran Players
Only Rare Technologies from Expansion (Mainly for the Missile Defense option)

We won't use the pass order = turn order varient, but I am seriously considering the 2nd player that passes choosing play direction option.

I figure if we like it we'll play like this, then maybe one more basic game, then throw in aliens. After the 3rd game I'll go ahead and toss in the Promotional tiles and bits, then add in all the expansion options, no?

Thoughts are great.

Best,

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbenner wrote:
Hi Guys,

A couple years ago I bought this game as I had a regularge group of guys coming by to play games and we were having a blast. We wanted to kick it up a notch and get something a bit bigger, but no soone had I picked this up than stuff happened and my group fell apart.

Fast forward to now and I've got a small group of people interested in the game (we saw it in a local shop and I admitted to owning it), and are planning on playing. Presently I own:

Base Game
Rise of the Ancients
Pulsar
Solar
Nebula

Obviously we aren't going to start playing with all the expansions at once, but I would like to have some opinions on which pieces from which sets add the most bang for your buck and would also like to know if there is a check list to insure that you've got all the possible options.

Also,

Does anyone know a way to get the Print and Play expansions printed on similar materials to the base game and if they are worth it? Let me know.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul!

I am doing a lot of introduction and advances games at conventions and here's what has developed to be my go to set for "basic" and "advanced" games:

Basic is used whenever there is at least one newbie at the table:
- Base Game Material only
- Only Terrans
- Turn Order Variant (turnorder = passorder)
- 4-6 players
- At fewer than 6 players, use the Warp Sector Variant found in the files section

We played with regular turn order at first, but usually there were at least some people VERY frustrated by it, since if there are two people in a six player game that are low on actions and they are not right next to each other one of them will often be frustrated by not getting the benefit of fewer actions while "someone" will be "gifted" second pick every round by being lucky enough to sit next to a low action player.

Advanced games are used when everyone has had at least one basic game previously and agrees that they have the rules down pat.

Then we use (from the box expansions because I don't own or particularly like any of the mini expansions):
- All Races
- All Rare Technologies
- All Developments
- All Discovery Tiles
- All Big Box Expansion Hex Tiles except Ancient Hives and Ancient Homeworlds
- GCDS chosen by vote with the side of the token decided by "coin toss"
- Turn Order Variant
- 4-6 players with warp sector variant at less than 6

One Caveat in the "All Races" bit is that I don't recommend the newest 3 races to people with little experience since their playstyles are VERY different to all the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Benner
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Well,

We had our first game tonight and it was a blast. We had 4 people playing, all human, and no expansion stuff minus making the 2nd passing player determine direction of play.

It was a blast. For some reason it seemed that the tile draws were pretty bad for a couple of people, and they never pitched a tile. My own draws were good, netting me 2 Ancient tiles and one of my neighbors placed one that I wound up snagging.

I grabbed a bunch of early resource planets and made some solid ships. One of the other players did his research and we Hail Mary Missiles and hurt me a bit, but I stomped him pretty handily near the end.

After discussion with the guys I think that we are going to continue on playing, but I'm going to throw in all the expansion bits as they just seem like fun. Also throwing in some of the Promo tiles as well.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again for thoughts.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.