Above and Below» Forums » Variants

Subject: Order Villagers during startup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started to order them so that the first player can't have the big luck that a great villager is cheap.

After digging a little deeper into the ordering I think it should go like this:

Cheap

24T 3T+ 35T+ 36T 14T
12 2* 13* 23 12

3TT 13T 15T 15T 25T+
2 12 13 13* 13*

12T 24T 2T+ 14T 2TT
12 13 2* 13 2*

14 15T
23 23

Expensive

Upper row: Die number
Lower row: Lantern(s)
T = Tool (hammer or quilt)
* = Expanded edition

The villagers are ordered by the average lantern with a little bonus/malus if they have specials/no tool. Within a row just pick whichever comes first.

Of course that to remember is not easy, a little number on the villager would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only comment regarding this is that a player's first action doesn't have to be buy a building (except in a 4P game). If there is a great villager in the cheap location, I often find that this becomes a difficult decision. Do you want the best choice of the available start buildings, or do you want the good/cheap villager? The start player is not guaranteed the best villager. You don't really need to change the order to compensate. So our house rule setup is that each player can only have one start building and that, in a 4P game, a player either build or recruit on the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
My only comment regarding this is that a player's first action doesn't have to be buy a building (except in a 4P game). If there is a great villager in the cheap location, I often find that this becomes a difficult decision. Do you want the best choice of the available start buildings, or do you want the good/cheap villager? The start player is not guaranteed the best villager. You don't really need to change the order to compensate.

Agreed, if anything, this may give player 2 or 3 an advantage, they could still get a good, cheap villager, or pick a key building, or perhaps (in a non-four player game) by now may have seen another building pop-up in one of the stacks. Although if one of the re-roll buildings pops up, that's usually the first to go!

My favorite idea I've seen posted is a two-sided reputation/turn track, one side with 8 turns for 2-4, or 9 turns for 3, ensuring equal turns for all players (and a slightly longer game!), which more or less equals everything out. Would need some additional cavern cards to ensure there were enough for all the turns, that'd be about it. Still loving this game, looking forward to getting Islebound to the table and really looking forward to Near and Far and whatever else Red Raven Games has up next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
If there is a great villager in the cheap location, I often find that this becomes a difficult decision.
I've almost only played 4P games and there you have to build first. So I guess the ordering is only important for that restriction.
In the next game I want to try the "Pioneers" Variant - Thematic Ending without that restriction and thus without ordering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.