Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me just get right down to it. I think HEXwing improves on the original. My friend and I played together remotely last weekend. We each have identical 18x18 hex maps. We played in a way similar to old fashioned chess by mail. I would say "I move Academy Pilot 5 to hex C11 facing 4. Then he and I would both move the figure on our boards. We could both see the game in real time with real figures.

He didn't have my scum faction ships so he used paper 2D proxies. I didn't have his Outrider large ship so I proxied the YT1300 and it worked fine. I had all the other ships of his so I had a full playmat of figures.

WHAT WORKED WELL:

-Jay and I both agreed that the ease of movement and selecting valid targets made HEXwing superior to the original game. Just move and drop. No worries about bumping another figure or figuring out how to place your movement template through that crowd of ships on the map. No worries about line of sight. Just follow the hex pattern out and they are either a valid target or not. Simple! Fast! FUN!
-the hex number/letter system made it easy to play remotely. I move to hex D8 facing 3. Bam. Even remotely there is no ambiguity.
-adapted rules all worked well. The HEWwing versions of barrel roll, overlapping ships, range and movement distance all translated flawlessly.
-hard turns in HEXwing actually turn you backward! And that's great! It means these ships are now more maneuverable. The dogfighting just got more better (lol). Now it doesn't take half a game to turn a ship around. Considering most games of regular X wing only last under 10 turns, being able to turn around is pretty important and makes the game feel more exciting.

WHAT DIDNT WORK WELL:
-the only problem we had was that we should have shared our X wing lists ahead of time via email. I didn't have Jays ship list. Ultimately it was no big deal but next time we will do that. Problem solved.
-we had zero problems with the HEXwing system itself.
-making the 18x18 hex game mat was a tiny bit tricky but we both did it. I used my existing 36x36inch laminated mat and made dots on the corners of all the hexes using a 2inch hex template and a wet erase marker. Then I made large dots over them with a sharpie marker at the end. Now it's permanent! But use caution! One mistake and the whole map could be ruined or shifted weirdly and rendered unusable. Careful planning is key!

Overall, Jay and I loved HEXwing and this will be my preferred way to play from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good review, and not because I am a big fan of heX-Wing.

I agree that finding or making a good play mat can be a challenge. In my club we only had a couple when we first started. In an earlier post, I said how this could be a problem, and with templates any flat surface works.

The big advantage is remote play because of all the reasons you described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for writing the review.

You have quite well summarized what I think also!

I had always been skeptical about the game and kept my distance from it (I have always feared miniature games both due to the cost involved in the long run and the fact that measuring sticks and straight edges are the tools of the trade and do not offer the same unquestionability of hexes).
A few weeks ago I was invited by my game buddy to play and found both of my fears matched (but what gorgeous minis those are!).

Eventually, he mentioned HeX-Wing, so I went ahead and designed a playmat (credit goes to
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and his fantastic Inkscape plug-in/extension - more info here: Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development), had it printed, and Boom! I was hooked.

With it, I was able to remove all the fiddleness of sticks and templates and have the same immediacy of, say, a good game of Blue Max.

Of course now this means I am down the rabbit hole buying a whole collection of minis!

Last note: my game buddy is none other than mr.
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
himself, so I guess I am spoiled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whoa. You get to play HEXwing with the master himself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, and probably could solve some of the problems in the original. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbrundin wrote:

-making the 18x18 hex game mat was a tiny bit tricky but we both did it. I used my existing 36x36inch laminated mat and made dots on the corners of all the hexes using a 2inch hex template and a wet erase marker. Then I made large dots over them with a sharpie marker at the end. Now it's permanent! But use caution! One mistake and the whole map could be ruined or shifted weirdly and rendered unusable. Careful planning is key!

mazout2 wrote:

...finding or making a good play mat can be a challenge.

I still have my old Visio files. I'll try and clean them up and post them on BGG. This might help players with setting up heX-Wing, because hand making a mat may not be easy for some, so having something they can take to the printers and print might be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.