4 Posts

Thunderbirds» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Hood - Supporting Character Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Speer
England
flag msg tools
Having played several games, incorporating all the expansions (even managing to win some of them!) I ask this question more out of curiosity than anything, as it doesn't seem to have been addressed previously here or within the KickStarter comments:
Why do the supporting character rules only penalise The Hood and not International Rescue?

Assuming I'm not missing anything in the rules, according to page 5, if The Hood attempts to use his SPY, HIJACK or ESCAPE actions, his dice score is modified by (a) +2 for each Agent in his space that he removes from the board and (b) -1 for each IR character in that space.

So far, so good.

Now, if IR try to take their ERASE, ESCAPE or CAPTURE actions, their dice score is modified by +1 for each additional IR character in their space, but there is no penalty applied for any Hood Agent present.
This seems a bit unfair, not to say thematically odd, as you would expect that having The Hood's Agents around when trying to carry out a successful action would likely make it more difficult.
(The Hood not being known for missing an opportunity to bung a spanner into IR's works)
For example: escaping from, or capturing someone is always going to be harder if there are accomplices around to help guard them.

There might even be an argument for the presence of Hood Agents or The Hood himself adding to the difficulty score of a Disaster, if they are at that location when a RESCUE action is being attempted....

I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this and also what Matt's thoughts are regarding this particular mechanic.

In any case, it's still a brilliantly designed game, really being enjoyed by this vintage Thunderbirds fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to get any Hood games to the table so pure speculation from reviewing the rules.

I imagine Hood agents inhibiting the IR players actions make it too difficult to react to the Hood players' actions in time, especially when the Hood player may be close to winning once they have a well timed spy action with their agents. This could also contribute to the reason for removing agents once used by the Hood. This is also reflected by the relative difficulty of the Hood special action roll requirements (6/8/5) vs IR requirements (5/5/7). Its going to take a few turns with agent plays and positioning to perform a successful spy or hijack action, while it is likely possible on the same turn (and probably should be) for an IR Erase or escape action (while the IR capture action would require a more concerted effort, albeit less difficult than the Hood Hijack action).

Also thematically lets pretend Hood agents only do as they are told and are not proactive, so they only contribute to the Hood player's rolls.

Good to hear other views
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The Hood's agents don't work with him with anything like the teamwork, cohesiveness, and shared mission that the members of International Rescue show for each other.

He has to give them an order (they deliver their +2) then, having accomplished their job, they leave the board. (They've done what they've been paid to do, after all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Speer
England
flag msg tools
Oh well, I suppose it just goes to prove that even Evil Masterminds just can't get the staff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.