Subject: Has anyone tried drafting the objective cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit disappointed with the way objective cards are to be used in this game. You receive 2 of them, randomly and... that's it. Weird for a game like Scythe. Maybe there should be some way to get a third card, or switch one of them...

Maybe a draft at the beginning of the game between players? That, of course, would make them easier to achieve. Don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried, but at worst I would give players three and have them select two from the set. I'll personally stick with the base rules though.

Having objectives that are unknown is important so I wouldn't do the drafting, but also note that giving more options to the Saxony player could give them an easier chance to have two very similar objectives and more of an advantage in the game beyond the normal randomness allows.

Objectives certainly aren't required to win the game, but they do feel thematically fun, so I do want to do more of them. Getting new ones mid-game could hand someone an easy/swingy victory though if they're already close to meeting that newly drawn objective and that's not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Franklin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's weird for a game like Scythe since it was deliberately put into the game that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand that sometimes certain objectives are easier than others, so it can feel unfair if you get 2 difficult ones, it's still only 1 star. I think people focus too much on them as a necessary part of your path to victory, when in reality there are many ways.

Additionally, Scythe is a game where you can can ease into the experience. There are no important decisions made up front. You can build up your engine and by the time you need to start making important decisions you have a few rounds under your belt.

With inexperienced players I definitely would not pick objectives before the game, and even in a game with experienced players I would be hesitant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like the variance that weird objectives give a person. Otherwise, everyone will pick easy objectives, and it doesn't push anyone in an interesting way.

Having said that, I thought of a variant the other night that would give some flexibility while retaining the aspect of pushing players out of their comfort zone:
- After receiving your objectives, you can choose to discard both in order to draw one more that you must keep. The rule would work the same for the Saxony as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

- After receiving your objectives, you can choose to discard both in order to draw one more that you must keep. The rule would work the same for the Saxony as well.

This sounds like a very sharp idea, though I won't use it unless we play a lot more games and find the objectives to be falling out of favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3+ players you could do a hidden draft. First player draws 4 cards, takes one and passes them to the next player, they draw an additional card (back to 4) choose one and pass. Discard the untaken cards facedown. Even if you can remember what cards were there, and therefore taken, you wouldn't know who had which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found the objective cards a bit too random. In my 6 solo games now I sometimes had two that went into completely different directions and seemed hard to accomplish (at least judging from the direction may faction+player board gave me initially), as well as drawing two that got into pretty much the same direction, so I could easily choose between one of them mid-game.

I think I would not draft them, as I like the secrecy aspect.

For me I could see to house-rule them to take 3, pick 2. The discard both to pick two finally also sounds neat.

I wonder why in the current base game there's absolutely no way of getting more or exchanging objective cards. I would have expected to see such options on encounter cards.

Maybe another house-rule idea: *instead* of having an encounter, you can draw another (or even two?) more objective cards and replace one (or both) of your initial cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im thinking maybe one of the expansion factions may have a way to get another objective card. Probably why Jamey had the objective card deck set on the game board instead of having unused ones being returned to the box. Perhaps that's what would make that faction different. So if there was a change to the way objective cards are distributed, then that may weaken that faction's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hellp wrote:

I wonder why in the current base game there's absolutely no way of getting more or exchanging objective cards. I would have expected to see such options on encounter cards.

I would have expected too. I pretty much like the idea of discarding both your cards at the beginning in order to draw a single new one. Clever. Better than a draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
hellp wrote:

I would have expected too. I pretty much like the idea of discarding both your cards at the beginning in order to draw a single new one. Clever. Better than a draft.

I like that idea too, it sounds fun. The game is balanced and fine as is, but that idea adds a little risk/reward decision and gives the players more ownership of their missions.

I also thought drawing 2 common missions would be fun. Place them face up and they'd be available to anyone. Players are still only able to achieve 1 mission (except the Saxons, who are still limited to 2) and the common missions go away when someone meets the criteria. It adds a race element to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to assume that the reason you don't draw extra objectives and discard extras is the fact that you would be making an important strategic decision before the game begins. This entire game really deliberately eliminates any game changing decisions before turns begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Ocean Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think discard 2, draw 1 is probably not a good idea. I've only played a few times, but I've found that sometimes I'll initially look at my objectives and say, "Well those aren't going to happen." And then ignore them, only to find myself in an unexpected situation that makes completing an objective quite easy.

I think one of the purposes of the objectives is to make you think about the game in a different way. Allowing this discarding lets you not think of the game in that way.

That said, I agree that there is an objective (no pun intended) imbalance in the cards, but I think the draw two, complete one mechanic is already the solution. Not convinced there needs to be another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
I think discard 2, draw 1 is probably not a good idea. I've only played a few times, but I've found that sometimes I'll initially look at my objectives and say, "Well those aren't going to happen." And then ignore them, only to find myself in an unexpected situation that makes completing an objective quite easy.

I think one of the purposes of the objectives is to make you think about the game in a different way. Allowing this discarding lets you not think of the game in that way.

That said, I agree that there is an objective (no pun intended) imbalance in the cards, but I think the draw two, complete one mechanic is already the solution. Not convinced there needs to be another one.

It can still make you think about the game differently, but you have a choice. You can keep your two objectives that you're not excited about...although you're right in that sometimes the game presents opportunities. Or you can gamble and take one more that may still push you...only now you only have one possible way to get that star.

I don't actually know that I'll use the variant unless I hear grumblings, but I think it's a good balance of keeping the spirit of the game while allowing flexibility....plus it gives a potential decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Drafting objectives doesn't sound like a bad idea. In fact, having them public means some "easy" ones become a lot harder as your opponent may go out of their way to stop you from achieving them.

I do agree with what people have said though, it's a pretty small part of the game. If you've got a hard objective, probably best to just leave it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.