$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a situation in my first game of scenario 3 (the one with all the tank wrecks).

In my first round I simply pushed forward my units and managed to locate a real enemy tank and two dummies. But then I found that all my units were spent and only one enemy unit was spent. The rest were active RE.

I started passing while the AI simply executed cards that maybe moved a unit forward, maybe back, usually spending only 1 AP and not spending the units. And of course, all the passing orders for the AI failed because "not spent AI where never less than not spent units", as per scenario rules the RE do not count as not spent AI and I had 0 not spent units. 0 is not less than 0.

So the AI never passed, from time to time the clock advanced until the game ended.

Did I do some rules wrong? Or is it that in this scneario I must leave always one more active unit than the AI has so when it passes I can also pass and refresh all my units?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
I had a situation in my first game of scenario 3 (the one with all the tank wrecks).

In my first round I simply pushed forward my units and managed to locate a real enemy tank and two dummies. But then I found that all my units were spent and only one enemy unit was spent. The rest were active RE.

I started passing while the AI simply executed cards that maybe moved a unit forward, maybe back, usually spending only 1 AP and not spending the units. And of course, all the passing orders for the AI failed because "not spent AI where never less than not spent units", as per scenario rules the RE do not count as not spent AI and I had 0 not spent units. 0 is not less than 0.

So the AI never passed, from time to time the clock advanced until the game ended.

Did I do some rules wrong? Or is it that in this scneario I must leave always one more active unit than the AI has so when it passes I can also pass and refresh all my units?


Sounds like you were playing something wrong.

Were you checking each time an AI did something, whether it was spent?

If nothing can be executed on a card, the AI passes.

On most of the cards, the clock only goes forward if there are fewer than a certain number of units, so the clock shouldn't be moving forward that often.

Also, make sure that if the REs are not in cover and in sight, they become revealed.

I'm not sure what you did wrong, but I haven't run into this situation exactly... I've had times where I spent units too quickly, and the AI got to run amuck for awhile, but not so much so that the first round never ended and the clock ran out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just have the enemy pass when Fresh AI = 0 and Fresh Units = 0 for the "Fresh AI < Fresh Units -> AI Passes" priority order. I believe the intent of the Special scenario rule is to prevent the AI from going on and on when the user can't do anything. I would think the case you mentioned would fall under the same intent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this Secenario, no RE counts as "Fresh". So, if only one tank is showing, it will almost always "pass".

From the Scenario book:

Special Rules
Rumored Tanks - All Rumored Enemy AI move 2 hexes (since they represent Tanks). When determining if the Priority Order that states Fresh
AI < Fresh Units
= AI Passes, do not count RE as 'Fresh AI'. Off map German Units still count as Fresh Units.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:
For this Secenario, no RE counts as "Fresh". So, if only one tank is showing, it will almost always "pass".

From the Scenario book:

Special Rules
Rumored Tanks - All Rumored Enemy AI move 2 hexes (since they represent Tanks). When determining if the Priority Order that states Fresh
AI < Fresh Units
= AI Passes, do not count RE as 'Fresh AI'. Off map German Units still count as Fresh Units.




In the OP's example, there were 0 Fresh Units.

So it might be best to try not to use everything up quickly in this scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the AI shouls pass if Fresh AI = Fresh Units = 0 as Blake says?
Strictly the scenario special rules say RE do not count so I have the double zero situation.

Maybe I have had a strike of bad luck with his activations: almost every clock fulfilled a condition to advance (9 units and 1 AI are lower than much numbers in these conditions), and also the AI could almost always move an RE forward and move it back in the next order (move towards unit followed by move towards AI orders), so it never passed and there was nothing I could do.

But I feel like I played something wrong as the situation is very easy to copy: just advance all units (even using groups) so no units are fresh and then play the AI cards. REs just move around, spending 1 AP, they almost never get spent, there are a lot of them and the clock ticks and ticks to end the mission.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Maybe the AI shouls pass if Fresh AI = Fresh Units = 0 as Blake says?
Strictly the scenario special rules say RE do not count so I have the double zero situation.

Maybe I have had a strike of bad luck with his activations: almost every clock fulfilled a condition to advance (9 units and 1 AI are lower than much numbers in these conditions), and also the AI could almost always move an RE forward and move it back in the next order (move towards unit followed by move towards AI orders), so it never passed and there was nothing I could do.

But I feel like I played something wrong as the situation is very easy to copy: just advance all units (even using groups) so no units are fresh and then play the AI cards. REs just move around, spending 1 AP, they almost never get spent, there are a lot of them and the clock ticks and ticks to end the mission.



For counting number of AI, I'm positive you still count those that are hidden (i.e. in the Rumored Enemy Cup), so you should have a lot more AI and are not moving the clock forward so often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
marticabre wrote:
Maybe the AI shouls pass if Fresh AI = Fresh Units = 0 as Blake says?
Strictly the scenario special rules say RE do not count so I have the double zero situation.

Maybe I have had a strike of bad luck with his activations: almost every clock fulfilled a condition to advance (9 units and 1 AI are lower than much numbers in these conditions), and also the AI could almost always move an RE forward and move it back in the next order (move towards unit followed by move towards AI orders), so it never passed and there was nothing I could do.

But I feel like I played something wrong as the situation is very easy to copy: just advance all units (even using groups) so no units are fresh and then play the AI cards. REs just move around, spending 1 AP, they almost never get spent, there are a lot of them and the clock ticks and ticks to end the mission.



For counting number of AI, I'm positive you still count those that are hidden (i.e. in the Rumored Enemy Cup), so you should have a lot more AI and are not moving the clock forward so often.


Verified - in 2.3.1 in the rules - Rumored Enemy counters count as AI when determining whether clock should move forward. So it sounds like you were moving the clock forward too often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be playing something wrong. I did not have this problem. Remember that the special rule only applies to the specific Priority Order mentioned.

Quote:
Priority Order that states Fresh AI < Fresh Units AI Passes, do not count RE as 'Fresh AI'. Off map German Units still count as Fresh Units.


All other priority rules are governed by the rules in Section 2.3.1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it must be this, I was moving the clock too fast.
I will play it again with this correction.
Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.