Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware Advance was considered "2nd edition."

Hopefully they up their support game. The total lack of communication and dropping expansions out of the blue is not a great way to run a brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? What about advance? Come on. Hope it's advance compatible or I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, if it's not compatible with Thunderstone Advance, than I'm going to have to pass. Having 3 different versions of the same game that don't work well together just seems like a terrible idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed that they never picked up the new game format on Facebook, I used to play the game online 4 to 8 times a day and had invested money for expansions. Facebook changed format and poof it's gone, it would be nice to see a video version, (Not Steam).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope it's not compatible with TSA. I want a streamlined, modern deckbuilder that works without using a multitude of variants to fix the clunkyness. But I know a lot of people loved TSA, but I imagine most of them have hundreds of cards already and won't have a problem playing their preferred version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also for a bit of streamlining and a new version. True, I do not own any of the previous sets (there is no local version), but even if I did, I would most likely stay true to this statement.

Maybe if they release less expansions and build it more tightly together...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Montag451 wrote:
I hope it's not compatible with TSA. I want a streamlined, modern deckbuilder that works without using a multitude of variants to fix the clunkyness. But I know a lot of people loved TSA, but I imagine most of them have hundreds of cards already and won't have a problem playing their preferred version of the game.

Maybe I'm just not aware of all of the variants, but I don't know what could be done to make it a lot more streamlined. A lot of what makes Thunderstone awesome are these extra mechanics that just take a little more time. Take them away, and it just becomes another deck building game. If I want something simpler I'll just play a different game, like Legendary. At this point there are so many different deck building games, Thunderstone really should hold onto the things which are unique.

If they do revise the rules, I really hope there is some way to integrate the Thuderstone Advance cards into it, otherwise a lot of us will have no reason to reinvest into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others. I kind of went all-in on Thunderstone Advance. If this new edition is a brand new format and incompatible, I won't even touch it. It's the same reason I'm not getting rid of my DVDs and replacing them with Blu-Rays. Can't afford the extra expense, when the DVDs still work perfectly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
mb
markblasco wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

Maybe I'm just not aware of all of the variants, but I don't know what could be done to make it a lot more streamlined. A lot of what makes Thunderstone awesome are these extra mechanics that just take a little more time. Take them away, and it just becomes another deck building game. If I want something simpler I'll just play a different game, like Legendary. At this point there are so many different deck building games, Thunderstone really should hold onto the things which are unique.

If they do revise the rules, I really hope there is some way to integrate the Thuderstone Advance cards into it, otherwise a lot of us will have no reason to reinvest into the game.

I believe the streamlining folks are talking about would be in the language of the cards. There were discrepancies that could be ironed out to make the game play smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sippi wrote:
markblasco wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

I believe the streamlining folks are talking about would be in the language of the cards. There were discrepancies that could be ironed out to make the game play smoother.

We'll people are saying that "streamlined" = "not compatible" which to me seems like they want more than just better templating (which isn't all that bad with TSA in my opinion).

I agree with @markblasco , but didn't say it. Isn't legendary and Assension a more streamlined version of Thunderstone? Those games are okay but just a bit bland to me... I like my crunchy Thunderstone.

If the game is compatible, I'll probably pick it up. If not... Probably won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

We'll people are saying that "streamlined" = "not compatible" which to me seems like they want more than just better templating (which isn't all that bad with TSA in my opinion).

I agree with @markblasco , but didn't say it. Isn't legendary and Assension a more streamlined version of Thunderstone? Those games are okay but just a bit bland to me... I like my crunchy Thunderstone.

If the game is compatible, I'll probably pick it up. If not... Probably won't.

Yeah, I think I have around 10 different deck building games, and while I love the format, each one has something distinct about it which makes it different than the rest. If the new Thunderstone is just ironing out some of the rules, but is not compatable, and basically the same game, there's no incentive for me to put more money into it (I have about 4 of the Thunderstone Advance sets right now). I can understand that when they went from the original Thunderstone to Thunderstone Advance, they learned a lot from the original system, and were able to fix some issues. That's not something you can do over and over with a game system if you want people to continue buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
Hmm, looks like it will be kickstarted in October. Not sure how I feel about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonsher wrote:
Hmm, looks like it will be kickstarted in October.

Where does that information come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Jolderon wrote:
jonsher wrote:

This thread.

Any news on a reprint?

Gabranth86 wrote:
I mailed them a got this response =)

Hi ________,

At this time we don't have plans to reprint Thunderstone but we just announced a new release at Gen Con! Keep an eye out for the kickstarter coming in a few months! Thanks for your support of Thunderstone!

Regards,________

This is good news =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
Jolderon wrote:
jonsher wrote:

It was just on the BGG live feed at GenCon, from Todd Rowland himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonsher wrote:
Hmm, looks like it will be kickstarted in October. Not sure how I feel about that.

Well, I'm sure how I feel about it...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost willing to bet it'll be both streamlined mechanisms that are incompatible with Advance -and- some sort of legacy/campaign component (which is the only reason I'm buying this if the first part is true). After Hero Realms and Pathfinder ACG and Shadowrun: Crossfire, it seems like The Thing to Do these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:
I agree with others. I kind of went all-in on Thunderstone Advance. If this new edition is a brand new format and incompatible, I won't even touch it. It's the same reason I'm not getting rid of my DVDs and replacing them with Blu-Rays. Can't afford the extra expense, when the DVDs still work perfectly well.

If this turns out to be completely compatible with TSA, I'll buy it. If it turns out to be incompatible, I won't. Even if they add a page of klugey rules in an attempt to make an incompatible game "compatible," still probably out. I can live with the quantity of TSA I have (all of it to date), and at this point I don't feel the need to add an entire new game to my collection.

In summary:

Add some new content to freshen up a game I already have?

Whole new game?

No matter what they end up putting out there -- I'm sure they think that will be best for sales. And you can't blame them for that -- withough sales, there's no company to make games.

jonsher wrote:

If this turns out to be true, I can't say I'd be a fan of it. In my opinion, kickstarter by an established company is cheating. But, hey, again, I guess they have to do what they think best. If I recall, wasn't the Numenera TSA originally kickstarted? How did that go?

I really hate the whole idea of kickstarter-only premiums -- unless they're purely cosmetic and have no impact on game play. When I want to spend a pile of money to chase rare game components, I'll go open a booster box of MtG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
In my opinion, kickstarter by an established company is cheating.

It's becoming the norm for many. Look at Cool Mini or Not, Mantic, etc.

rogue148 wrote:
If I recall, wasn't the Numenera TSA originally kickstarted? How did that go?

Numenera TSA was an add-on during the Numenera campaign, which is a bit different than getting Kickstarted by itself. I didn't expect it, but it turned out to be my favorite stand alone version/expansion of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I for one am stoked. Have tried to pick up TSA a few times now on auction and haven't been able, been selling well over $100 due to its out of print nature.

So as someone who has none of them and has TS as his number one wishlist item, this is great news indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too will pass if there is no compatibility with the old game. TS doesn't hit the table a lot already so there's little to justify starting anew. It has never been my favorite deck builder and holds only theme as a selling point over my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I really wish they just finished(Lv 4 heroes) TSA and reprinted the old expansions for it. I was hoping, that if needed they would go to crowfunding to judge interest, but I don't like the sound of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have Worlds Collide and Numenera so I'd be happy to buy either reprints of old sets or new stuff, provided it's 100% compatible with TSA. I like the game a lot, but I'm not willing to pay current ebay prices, or 3rd edition stuff that has even the slightest compatibility issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Holderman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I too will pass if there is no compatibility with the old game. TS doesn't hit the table a lot already so there's little to justify starting anew. It has never been my favorite deck builder and holds only theme as a selling point over my favorite.

What is your favorite deck builder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.