Subject: Scenario variety rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I am very concerned about the number of scenarios in the app. I understand the last one is several hours long but then what about replayability? I would pay for whatever expansions to come but would also expect to have some fun more than 4 times for this money. I never played 1st edition but seems like there was more variety in every scenario or was there?
Also I would buy previous expansions if story was included. Seems like waste of money paying just for tiles and monsters. Will they convert 1e scenarios to 2e? I never played them but I'd like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
okkoo wrote:
I am very concerned about the number of scenarios in the app. I understand the last one is several hours long but then what about replayability? I would pay for whatever expansions to come but would also expect to have some fun more than 4 times for this money. I never played 1st edition but seems like there was more variety in every scenario or was there?
Also I would buy previous expansions if story was included. Seems like waste of money paying just for tiles and monsters. Will they convert 1e scenarios to 2e? I never played them but I'd like to.

Honestly the scenarios in 1e were pretty bad, sure you had 3 possible layouts of objectives but most of them were mechanically broken and unbalanced. On top of that 2 of the 5 scenarios were pretty much unplayable without heavy modding from the community anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Truth is that there are some of fan made scenarios for the 1st and the second won't allow that (for now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:

It's all speculation at this point, but I would imagine FFG will release new scenarios very soon, perhaps tomorrow when the game releases or maybe at the close of Gen Con. As for the 1st Ed. scenarios, I would venture to guess that those will be shuffled into the mix at some point. All they have to do is tweak them to work with the new rules and just import into the app. That would make it easy to get new content in the app quickly, as they are already written. Again just speculation, based on a little common sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
okkoo wrote:

Consider the first scenario only comes with 6 different maps, and you can play up to 5 investigators (the app scales the difficulty of the game according to the number of investigators you're playing) chosen from a pool of 24 investigators.

I'd not be worried about replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
okkoo wrote:

Consider the first scenario only comes with 6 different maps, and you can play up to 5 investigators (the app scales the difficulty of the game according to the number of investigators you're playing) chosen from a pool of 24 investigators.

Personally, I"m not worried about replayability but does the app let you pick any investigator without 'unlocking' the whole expansion it came in? If not, then the 2e core 'only' comes with 8 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:

No.

6 *slightly* different layouts only if you use the 1st ed. tiles, if not, they're just 4.

And 2nd and 3rd scenarios:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
have only 1 layout each so far with only 2nd ed. tiles, haven't checked with 1st ed. tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Personally, I"m not worried about replayability but does the app let you pick any investigator without 'unlocking' the whole expansion it came in? If not, then the 2e core 'only' comes with 8 investigators.

Well, you could always (at least for 1st, 2nd and 3rd scenarios) unlock the 1st edition investigators, and if you get a starting tile (only for the 1st scenario afaik, haven't checked 2nd and 3rd ones) of the 1st edition, just restart the game until you get a starting tile of the 2nd edition (layouts are fixed, so if the starting tile is from 2nd edition, all tiles will be from 2nd edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

Well, you could always (at least for 1st, 2nd and 3rd scenarios) unlock the 1st edition investigators, and if you get a starting tile (only for the 1st scenario afaik, haven't checked 2nd and 3rd ones) of the 1st edition, just restart the game until you get a starting tile of the 2nd edition (layouts are fixed, so if the starting tile is from 2nd edition, all tiles will be from 2nd edition).

Oh really? Interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Galandil wrote:

Oh really? Interesting.

Yup.

Forgot to say that I didn't mention the 4th scenario because I didn't check if it's the only with a truly randomized map, but I'm strongly inclined to believe that it's not, same as the other 3, so the trick should work even there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 4 draws from preset map layouts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god you've chipped in here Alessandro! I wasn't quite sure about your stance on the app from all the other threads!

I always smile at this level of vitriol. A lesser man would take a game they didn't think was value for money and just not buy it. Keep on spammin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Thank god you've chipped in here Alessandro! I wasn't quite sure about your stance on the app from all the other threads!

I always smile at this level of vitriol. A lesser man would take a game they didn't think was value for money and just not buy it. Keep on spammin!

Always better than reporting false/partial information and/or wishful thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Ad nauseam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimeys wrote:
Galandil wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Ad nauseam

Hey, we're still in a free country, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
kimeys wrote:
Galandil wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Ad nauseam

Hey, we're still in a free country, right?

I'm sorry, please continue. It would be great if you could write a review of the game and how it feels in conjunction with the app. From your posts I'm assuming you've played through the scenarios a few times now and have an insight into the different permutations within. Tonight I've read two glowing reviews that appear contrary to your experience. A little bit of balance is always a good thing. Of course only on condition that you have played the full game and not just downloaded the app and pressed a few buttons. That wouldn't be much of a balanced opinion, would it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a remember, the big X in the botton left makes wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not trolling if it's not false and on point. If what he's saying is true, then in fact there is no map variability to speak of, and that's useful information.

It is extremely useful information if it's true that a starting 2e tile implies a fully 2e map too, since that opens up additional replayability with expansion content one doesn't actually have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
It is extremely useful information if it's true that a starting 2e tile implies a fully 2e map too, since that opens up additional replayability with expansion content one doesn't actually have.

Don't hold your breath. If FFG doesn't like that idea, a whole "different reality" is just an update away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.