Subject: Adventure (story) Guide development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been chatting with Byron Campbell, the lead writer for Rise of the Runelords and Skull & Shackles about collaborating on the Mummy's Mask Adventure Guide. Nothing's happened yet since there's no game or card listing available. I will work on a guide of my own in my spare time if Byron is unavailable; he's a freelance writer and editor and sometimes his schedule changes.

Would there be any interest in taking up a voluntary collection to buy a Mummy's Mask subscription for Byron from Paizo.com as a THANK YOU for all his work to date? I saw that there's a gifting option on Paizo's website. Given the number of people who've downloaded the guides, it wouldn't be too hard to round up a 100 or 200 people for $1 or $2 each to buy the subscription and make it a gift from the community.

Since somebody's going to ask about logistics, here's what I had in mind:

1.) Collect commitments via Geekmail or posts to this thread pledging support. The best way to preserve your anonymity would be via Geekmail, which is why I'm offering it as an option.
2.) Once the subscription target is reached, I would buy Byron the subscription. Byron could confirm he's actually received the game if the community wants that level of accountability.
3.) I collect via Paypal what people have pledged. Again this could be done after the Mummy's Mask release cycle completes if there's fears this is a scam of some sort. To ensure accountability (ie - I'm not collecting more than the subscription price), people can post to this thread indicating they contributed or I could provide a thank-you listing in the Adventure Guide; thus allowing any interested parties to confirm on their own that I didn't scam anyone since there's real people they could contact to do the math.

As you can see, the worst case scenario for me is that I get trolled and I wind out buying a second copy of the game for someone. If some people promise to help and back out later, that's okay too - at least I didn't shoulder the full cost of the gift. Is there some other negative outcome I'm missing?

The best case scenario is that multiple people help, which makes the gift more meaningful since it came from the community instead of just one individual.

Anyway, just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. You can run with it or not. To kick things off, I pledge $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been wondering if something like this would be possible when Byron said he had to back out of the Wrath guide. I'll chip in $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on!

Also to address the "What if we threw a war and everybody came" case, obviously if we exceed the target, then it provides alternates in case somebody has to back out of their commitment. I will collect on a first come-first served basis under the assumption that the initial backers are the most enthusiastic about the idea; however, I will make sure to credit everybody who wanted to participate if there's a listing in the Adventure Guide or a posting on BGG identifying contributors. Obviously the only restrictions is that I can't violate Paizo's or BGGs policies, so identifications that include profanity, are too suggestive, etc. are out.

Also, if you don't want your name mentioned at all, that's fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad we had users like

Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb

Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

who stepped up to fill in the void for Wrath of the Righteous. There's also my fully completed guide for Wrath of the Righteous available for download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can count me in for $5. You did a great job on both of the previous adventure guides, they are very helpful in getting into the game for my group. Thank you for continuing the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going well. Another possibility is that I ask Paizo's community manager to confirm the gift purchase via some kind of public post (either here on BGG or on Paizo.com.) I didn't want to publicly commit anybody who didn't agree to participate beforehand, which is why I focused all the work on myself since it was my idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this gets more traction than I'm seeing, but I'm in for $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think we're 1/8th of the way there already. GenCon could be slowing things down too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$5. Love the Adventure Guides. Thank You for your efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the support, everyone, and the wonderful idea, Neil!

While we're here, let's talk about the new Adventure Guide and some ideas I want to try out. In the first two guides, some people had mentioned they would like to see a more integrated storyline with the henchmen, villains etc. While I like the simplicity of the prologue/epilogue system, I'd like to explore different ways to tell the story, too, so I am planning to add in specific Events for each scenario, which are to be read when a certain thing happens for the first time, such as encountering a specific villain, henchman, or closing a location. This will be on a scenario-by-scenario basis as the story dictates.

Right now, I am reading up on the setting of Osirion and its history. I'm going to start collecting some of the lore now so I can slot it in where appropriate to the cards and scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully, we hit the subscription price goal so we can buy you the game!

When I wrote the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Guide, I tried to get as much of the modules into the Adventure Guide as I could, while adding my own details to assist the narrative flow or flesh out underdeveloped ideas; the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path really was a hack-and-slash RPG campaign with aspirations of being something more via half-baked systems that were implemented in one adventure and then abandoned for the rest of the campaign. I added the cohort epilogues to address the RPG's redemption system; but in hindsight, I wish I'd just addressed the character arcs head-on and incorporated the outcomes directly in the prologues and epilogues. Of course, Sosiel become more interesting because I didn't have to juggle so many characters.

Just to fill-in the uninitiated, the modules consist of a series of encounters keyed to locations on a map. The card game reflects the module in terms of the obstacles, monsters, henchmen, villains, and scenarios for a specific Adventure Deck; but their appearance isn't guaranteed to sync-up with the module. For example, the module might feature a devasting trap that appears once as a set piece, while in the card game, players might never encounter encounter the trap or they may encounter it multiple times in a later Adventure Deck, etc.

Part of the trick when writing is applying the module's set pieces to the fixed nature of the scenarios and providing a plausible explanation for the reader's actions. The only fixed points are the villains, henchmen, and loot. The rest isn't guaranteed to happen during the scenario, so it's a matter of what's interesting for the story whether other card types are mentioned.

Based on feedback (along with some complaints), I've gotten from readers; there are some who like to role-play, so they want more exposition and there are others who want a succinct summary like an adventurer's journal. The latter camp tends to get frustrated with all the talking between characters. I wonder if the theme of Mummy's Mask fit an archeologists journal, which would satisfy both camps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I wonder if the theme of Mummy's Mask fit an archeologists journal, which would satisfy both camps.

Sounds cool!

Have you received many private geekmail pledges? I think it would be helpful if you could post the total pledges you have so far, just so we can see where we are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I wonder if the theme of Mummy's Mask fit an archeologists journal, which would satisfy both camps.

This sounds neat. I'd print it on parchment look paper for sure, perhaps with a leather or faux-leather cover to look really authentic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, no private pledges yet - maybe I'll get some after GenCon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelter wrote:
Autoduelist wrote:

This sounds neat. :) I'd print it on parchment look paper for sure, perhaps with a leather or faux-leather cover to look really authentic.

I think that style might get difficult to maintain over the long term. It's going to be impossible to please everyone, in any case. I prefer a more narrative style, but I can try dropping the players ("you") from the text and see how it feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for $5. Small price for how the guides have enhanced the game for my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say write for what works for you Byron. I experimented around with the format in my Wrath of the Righteous guide and I think some parts worked out really well. I like the Nocticula mini-game I added that changes up how the story ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, we're at $25 $30 so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas no more activity so far. I will still give a shout out to all the excellent people who wanted to contribute if we don't hit the goal.

Hopefully things will pick up once the game is closer to shipping. There's an excellent post today about CAMELTROPS. Oh sure they talk about other things like how different and awesome the scenarios in the set will be, but I like saying CAMELTROPS.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lj2a?Mummys-Mask-and-PA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got more than $5 of value out of the RotR AG, so put me down for $5.

We didn't finish S&S, and I'm not sure I'll ever play WotR or MM, but am happy to tip your great work on RotR and contribute to giving the community a great resource for MM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for $5. Today is the first day I even looked for Mummy's Mask on BGG, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$40 now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we can find 4 more people, we will have enough for the base set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
$40 now!

You'll let us know when and how to provide payment, I assume? GM is probably the best way to reach me; not sure about anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely do that. I'm taking names at the moment. I figured I'd ask for funds once we hit the subscription target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.