8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: fast paced dungeon crawl? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nemo Outis
United States
flag msg tools
So far the only dungeon crawl I've played is the D&D board game system. While I like that game a lot I'm looking for something that is faster paced and something that makes your character's movement more important. Something that is more..tactical? I want characters to be able to flank or backstab or hide or things like that so you're really putting an emphasis on maneuvering your character into position.

Does such a game exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Imperial Assault gets pretty close, as does Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr. However, the former requires one player to take the role of a 'game master', playing the Imperium, while the latter is a 1 vs. 1 skirmish game.

Apart from tactical RPG combat systems (like D&D 4e), few board games take it that far. You're more likely to find table-top games that do, but those aren't 'dungeon-crawlers'.

I'd also like to mention that 'fast-paced' is typically not a property of complex tactical combat systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive Darkness will have hiding, but overall it won't be super tactical.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit circumstantial, but Arcadia Quest has some of this.

Some characters fight better when flanked, some characters support eachother when they are in eachothers LOS. When enemy's huddle however, they can become more vulnerable. It is possible to block enemies from shooting you, while at the same time you can shoot that enemie, all by positioning.

Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nemo Outis
United States
flag msg tools
Hmmm I'll definitely take a close at Arcadia Quest. So far that seems to be closest to my (admittedly) odd request. Thanks so much for your time and suggestions.

jhaelen wrote:

Apart from tactical RPG combat systems (like D&D 4e), few board games take it that far. You're more likely to find table-top games that do, but those aren't 'dungeon-crawlers'.

I'm open to other style options but I'm not looking to get into hardcore wargaming or RPG. I want a game where the players clear an area of enemies and "dungeon crawler" seemed to capture that style best. The wrapping doesn't matter so much. Actually a sci-fi wrapping would be ideal in my mind

jhaelen wrote:

I'd also like to mention that 'fast-paced' is typically not a property of complex tactical combat systems.

True, hence the "does it exist" question. The more complex your options the longer the turns take, at the very least until the players have all options memorized. I'm willing to trade complexity in actions for an emphasis on movement and positioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to find a game that's just like you're describing. My big issues with most games I've tried are the same as yours. I've read good things about Arcadia Quest, but haven't taken the plunge. Krosmaster: Quest might be worth looking at. I've only played the Arena game, but it was pretty fast paced for a tactics game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Omega Protocol] and Earth Reborn will be two of the most tactical. Earth Reborn isn't really a dungeon crawl though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders has some tactical movement but it is heavier and longer than the D&D system.

Fireteam Zero is probably the weight you're looking for if you want a fast paced easy to set up game with tactical movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.