$5.00
Adam Cogan
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

Hi folks,

I'm Adam from Dark Unicorn Games. I wanted to share the card game I've been working on called Super Powered Smash Masters. I'd love to get some feedback and answer questions if you have them.

Here's the Kickstarter intro video we put together:
]

Here's our BGG link: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615636/super-powered-s...

In this game, you pick nine heroes, build a deck around their abilities, and face off against up to five other players with their own hero teams. The content is family-friendly and full of humor. In fact, I streamlined the gameplay to be a gateway deck builder that children and casual gamers and family members would all have fun playing.

Here's our how to play video:
]

Our rules page: http://www.darkunicorngames.com/SPSM_Rules

We're still working on the card art, and we're going to do a larger round of testing after we're funded on Kickstarter (like how confident that sounded?) After testing, I anticipate making some minor changes to the format and the copy before the game goes to the printers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cogan
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
We've created a few blog posts that focus on the artists working on Super Powered Smash Masters, with additional details about the hero cards they worked on.

http://www.darkunicorngames.com/blog-012-artist-spotlight:-don-simpson

http://www.darkunicorngames.com/blog-013-artist-spotlight:-jeff-mccomsey

We've noticed that our modest following really enjoys learning more about specific cards, so we're responding to that. I think it helps to go beyond the basic theory of the game and show how specific cards can lend themselves to different strategies.

Would love to hear from you folks, especially if you have some good ideas about how to reach communities that might embrace this kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, one of the biggest red flags here is this statement:

Quote:
we're going to do a larger round of testing after we're funded on Kickstarter

Many people aren't willing to back a boardgame KS anymore unless it looks like it's completely playtested and ready to go to print, so you're already losing a significant number of potential backers. Hold off, wait until it's truly ready to go to print - I mean "files sent to the printers the day after funding closes" ready.

I know I don't bother backing boardgames on KS for the most part because I may as well wait for it to hit retail if it's really any good, but without the stress of waiting to see if I actually get anything worthy back in less than two years for my money.

I think promoting the game at cons like the Comic Cons and Pax conventions (who enjoy comic themed games and direct conflict style games) would be useful, but long before the actual KS campaign.

Yes, you would have to spend money for a table/booth, but as with everything else in a competitive field, you need to get people to know about your game, and that's something KS still cannot help with. Many failed campaigns have hit because people thought they just hd to put their game out there to succeed, but without the marketing and advertising efforts needed to stand out from the enormous number of campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cogan
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You make some good points, Matt Lee. And hitting some comic and game conventions is definitely part of our future plans.

I'd estimate our percent complete in the high 90s in terms of design, with a little more work left to do on the art end. For backers like yourself, I understand how the unfinished bits might make you uncomfortable. I hope you'll come back and check us out when we're further along.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pleas, please, please, don't say that your game is a deckbuilding game when it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cogan
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Thank you Benj! You just clued me in on a major blind spot. shake

You're right, the gameplay does not have you building a deck during the game. I will make adjustments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkunicorn wrote:

I'd estimate our percent complete in the high 90s in terms of design, with a little more work left to do on the art end.

Just remember that often, that last 5% can often take more than 50% of the effort! Blind testing and the feedback from them can often bring things to a screeching halt while you fix the problems that come out from there.

If you happen to plan to be at NY Comic Con or Pax East, I may see you there! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.