Subject: Suitable publishers to contact rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
About six months ago I started making a geocaching-themed card game. I thought it would turn into a quite simple game that people would just buy because of the geocaching-angle (geocaching is a real life treasure hunt using GPS).

Six months in, I have a test print in front of me and a game that's surprisingly intelligent. It really works (if it's not weird that I say so myself)! In fact, I'm so confident about how good the game actually is that I'd like to try to get it published for real, not just as a print-on-demand that only a few of my own geocaching friends would buy, but to see it in real stores.

Of course there's Kickstarter, but say I want to do it the traditional way, what businesses should I turn to? What brands make and sell card games and might be interested in taking on my game? Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
The best thing you can do is look for companies that sell games similar to yours, and by similar I don't just mean ones that sell card games, I mean ones that sell card games that appeal to the same audience you think your card game will appeal to, and see what their submission policies are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kouba
United States
Franklin
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there a geo-caching element to it or are you just on the hunt for stuff? If the latter, I would probably be open to changing the theme.

You could potentially approach Garmin or another GPS maker and see if they wanted to invest to retail it exclusively in some manner.

Of course, it would be more interesting for me if it was collectible and chase cards were planted in geocaches that I could physically hunt down.

On the other hand, I have Pokemon GO for that.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Lol at the Pokemon Go comment! :D

It's heavily geocaching-themed, but it's in no way connected to real life geocaching, so I guess changing the theme (to appeal to a broader audience) would work.

I'm now in talks with geocaching.com. I have their permission to use the geocaching icons and logos that they own if the game is sold exclusively through their online shop, which I guess is a great first step! However, I seriously doubt I can sell a lot through there.

I'll consider changing the theme (to avoid copyright issues) and contact actual manufacturers :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much has it been play tested and by how many? Are the play testers family, friends, or neither?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate to see you change the theme when you've chosen one that is new & fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
How much has it been play tested and by how many? Are the play testers family, friends, or neither?

The questions all publishers will ask. But if you live in Stockholm, do check https://www.meetup.com/Stockholm-Boardgames/ for potential play testers. I'd be happy to test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend listening to this Podcast:

http://ludology.libsyn.com/ludology-episode-117-publish-or-p...

They interview the decision makers of a bunch of companies about how they choose which games to publish.

Stronghold Games
Dice Hate Me / Greater Than Games
R&R Games
Portal Games
Arcane Wonders
Crash Games
Gamelyn Games
ZMan Games

...also, to add on to the playtesting comment, have you blind playtested the game yet? (ie. they learn from the rules, not from you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
pfctsqr wrote:

Family only, a lot of times. I feel quite confident about the rules I'm going to print a second test copy soon with all the changes and see if I can find some local gecachers to test it as well, without any help from myself.

pfctsqr wrote:

Now that geocaching.com is onboard, I won't change it. Assuming they like the looks of it once I send it to them

pfctsqr wrote:
The questions all publishers will ask. But if you live in Stockholm, do check https://www.meetup.com/Stockholm-Boardgames/ for potential play testers. I'd be happy to test.

Unfortunately I'm moving from Sweden to London

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jozii wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Family only, a lot of times. I feel quite confident about the rules I'm going to print a second test copy soon with all the changes and see if I can find some local gecachers to test it as well, without any help from myself.

pfctsqr wrote:

Now that geocaching.com is onboard, I won't change it. Assuming they like the looks of it once I send it to them

pfctsqr wrote:

Unfortunately I'm moving from Sweden to London

Don't skip blind play testing as well (your are not there, only a rulebook and a game to go by)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love getting credit for good quotes I didn't make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
pfctsqr wrote:
I love getting credit for good quotes I didn't make.

Hahaha saw that now xD My bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.