Hapsburg Eclipse» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chas H
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm finally beginning to grok this game. I had my first win (an operational victory).

The key was dumping a ton of AP's into German Staff Actions. The off-map battles are so important in this game. I purchased all 6, and used three of them for extra actions at key points during the game. This is different than Ottoman Sunset where the off-map battles are not so important and one can get by having a marker or two in the Western front for when the Kaiserschlacht comes.

Dusk came early which was not a bad thing as the Russian fronts soon left, heavily bolstering my national will. Given the early arrival of dusk, (only 4 cards into mid-day I drew both war status increase cards) I did not bother buying off the Polish front.

In previous games I had dumped a lot of AP's in keeping the Carpathian front behind the fortress but I think those AP's are better spent in bolstering the odds in the off-map battles.

I kept the Romanian front on its heels pushed back as I awaited the card that could see the removal of that front. When that card came up (#40), the Romanian front was already at the last spot so was removed.

When the D'Esperey card came (#48), the Balkan front was on the 4 spot. I used German Aid and Mackensen to push it on its first turn back to the 4 spot behind the trenches. I then used a German staff Action to push it back to the 5 spot. This allowed me (as I read the card), to keep the trenches there as they are only removed if the Balkan front is at the 4 spot or ahead of it.

The war weariness card came as the second to last card so with my two German staff actions in the Western Theatre I was able to win most of the Kaiserchlacht battles - I came close to winning all of them.

Plus of course the dice were in my favour this game. The Italians and Balkans managed to stay behind the river and trenches respectively much of the game.

In scoring I assume as the Romanian front was removed I score 5 points for that. The Romanian front is not "occupying a space" but there is no mention in the manual of getting 0 points for the removal of that front like the Russians.

It seems very unlikely for the Italian front to be removed. On the card allowing that there are only 2 AP's. If the Italians are at Udine it will cost 5 AP's to push them back to the last spot given the two river crossings. Keeping them behind Udine is very expensive in anticipation of the card being drawn for the removal of the Italian front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Congratulations!

Now your task is to achieve an International Victory.

How did you fare with maintaining the national loyalties in this game?

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas H
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
With the relatively early removal of the Russian fronts I left the Czech's in revolt most of the game. Improving the Croat's and Hungarian's support level is not too difficult.

The card that allows for three automatically successful adjustments to ethnic support allowed me to take the Czech's from revolt to full support in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cfh123 wrote:
With the relatively early removal of the Russian fronts I left the Czech's in revolt most of the game. Improving the Croat's and Hungarian's support level is not too difficult.

Sorry for asking, but did you remember these two rules?
8.2 wrote:
If the nationality called for to make a
Loyalty Adjustment Check is already
in Revolt, then the trigger “cascades”
and the nationality below them is
triggered instead (or Czechs if the
Hungarians are triggered and in
Revolt).

and
8.3.1 wrote:
In the event any nationality remains in
“Revolt” during the National Will
Phase (Phase 8), the “Revolt” counts
as one defeat.

8.2 kills me continually, while I keep forgetting 8.3.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas H
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I did remember those two rules. It was a very rare win of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8.3.1 is the one that I seem to keep forgetting ... thanks for the reminder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cfh123 wrote:
I had my first win (an operational victory).

You inspired me and yesterday I won at last: 28 VP, Strategic Victory.

Long live the Emperor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.