Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a person rattle off the same guess until he/she gets a hit? [Rds 2 and/or 3...there is no passing in Rd1]

Is there anything in the rules that prohibit it?

I would imagine it this tactic is against the spirit of the game -- but every typically does it to a small degree when one or two cards are left.

Honestly, it's not even a great tactic [too time consuming], but if you are a card or 2 from closing the game and you know a couple of clues in the deck...why not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
Can a person rattle off the same guess until he/she gets a hit? [Rds 2 and/or 3...there is no passing in Rd1]

Is there anything in the rules that prohibit it?

I would imagine it this tactic is against the spirit of the game -- but every typically does it to a small degree when one or two cards are left.

Honestly, it's not even a great tactic [too time consuming], but if you are a card or 2 from closing the game and you know a couple of clues in the deck...why not...

I have interpreted your question two ways.

If you mean, can they guess multiple times for one card, the answer is no. You only get one get one guess per card in the second and third round.

If you mean can I guess "Michael Jackson" (for instance) for each of the next 5 cards I would say that is OK

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify...the latter in your example

1 guess per card, but saying the same answer for each new card prior to a clue being given. Basically, forcing the clue-giver to cycle through the cards until the correct one is shown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Duisburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's totally possibly and allowed. however, it's not very efficient since discarded cards are "out" for this turn. if the clue giver finishes the deck before time runs out, the turn is over. he cannot pick up the discarded cards and restart (with the guesser now guessing a different name for each card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
that's totally possibly and allowed. however, it's not very efficient since discarded cards are "out" for this turn. if the clue giver finishes the deck before time runs out, the turn is over. he cannot pick up the discarded cards and restart (with the guesser now guessing a different name for each card).

Exactly this.

There are two things I've seen happen in our games along these lines.

Sometimes if there's a sense that time is indeed about up and the guesser feels there isn't time to receive a clue, they'll just yell out whatever name they can think of in the hope of nabbing one last card. If that's not right and there's still a speck of sand left in the timer they'll try the same name as soon as their partner flips to the next card. Not a high percentage play, and usually pretty funny 'cause it's a panic move.

The other thing that's happened goes like this. There are two cards left, Wyatt Earp and John Dillinger. The giver looks at the first card, sees Earp and starts doing a gunfire thing. Partner says "John Dillinger", not remember there is another gunman left. Partner shakes head, flips to other card, and partner, knowing then that as to be Dillinger makes the same guess without needing a clue.

If the guesser on the next team remembers who the other gunman is, chances are they make their guess before their partner has to bother gibing a clue.

Note: also happens with painters, authors, orators, baseball players, and so on.

In general, not a good approach, unless you really feel that you only need to score 1 point in the round, or there's one card that you've tried to get you partner to guess 4 times already and you really, really, really just can't stand the thought that the card might come around to you again and you'll have to spend another round staring at a blank look on your partner's face.

"I no longer care about winning or losing, I just have to get Boutros Boutros-Ghali out of the deck if it's the very last thing I do in this life!!!"

That ain't no strategy, but seriously, if you've ever seen a player driven to that point, it can be absolutely hysterical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.