Subject: How the game plays - Speculation thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the several pictures and previews on FFG page, and since it seems we will still have to wait a bit to see the game, I thought we might as well go ahead and speculate a bit about how everything might work. Let´s get to it :

List of Components

- 5 Investigator cards (plus 5 small ones to mark position on Location card)
- 110 Scenario cards
- 119 Player cards
- 30 Resource tokens
- 44 Chaos tokens
- 18 Horror / 27 Damage tokens
- 30 Clue/Horror tokens
- 1 Campaign guide
- 1 Learn to Play guide book
- 1 Rules Reference book

Adventures

- They will be linked to form Campaigns (3 adventures in the base set)

Edited- The outcome of the earlier ones will affect the later ones in several ways (adding/eliminating monsters, Locations or other cards, introducing cards in player decks, or giving experience to improve some of their existing ones...)

- Adventures elements :

- Agendas are the bad boys part. Doom tokens will be placed on them (per turn basis or by effect of monster or other event cards). If enough tokens are placed to solve the card, its flipped and a bad event happens. The next Agenda card is drawn and applied. If the final Agenda card is resolved, game is lost. This mechanic will also have a strong narrative and text element to build the story part of the adventure.

- Acts are the investigators goals in the adventure. They are advanced by placing clue tokens on them, and the number required is based on the number of players. By resolving the final one, the scenario is won.

Edited- There is also a custom tailored Scenario deck that will include the monsters, obstacles and other cards (curses, hexes) and will probably be drawn on a one card per player per turn basis. Monster and Obstacles go into location cards and the rest of cards produce different game effects.

- The map in comprised of Location cards. There seem to be different patterns in how they are placed on the table, and probably affect how to move the investigators around them. They will probably have different effects. Investigating in them will be affected by some Shroud rating.

- We can expect many different specific rules that affect each scenario and give it a special theme and probably a strong narrative element.

Investigators

Edited- There are five in the base game (Roland Banks, Wendy Adams, Daisy Walker, Agnes Baker and "Skids" O´Toole) . Each have two specific character cards that are mandatory in their decks (plus a initial neutral weakness card to be included), but these three don´t count toward their initial deck limit (30). Different characters might have different deck limits, and the limit might change during the campaign.

Edited- They belong to one of the 5 distinct character classes that exist (Guardian, Seeker, Rogue, Survivor and...). They build their decks from three class card pools (one of them is the neutral card pool), with more access to their class pool (higher level cards, which seems to go from 0 to 5). Probably all initial cards in the deck have to be of 0 level though.

- The Investigators also have a rating in four different abilities (Will, Investigation?, Strength and Agility) and a Health and Sanity rating.

- They have a distinct ability that triggers in special circumstances and also a specific effect for the Eldritch symbol in the Chaos tokens.

- The Investigator cards are varied (Gear, Allies, Events, Weapons, Spells, Talents) and there are also Weakness cards included in the deck, one from the start and others gained through the Campaign. They mostly address the madness affecting the poor investigators minds, with negative effects that have to be played when drawn (Revelation)

- Equipping the cards is limited with a traditional rpg inventory form. Some cards will be placed in one of the Inventory limited slots and will need to be unequipped if you want to play another of the same type. The available inventory slots probably are : two hands, one accessory, one body, two arcane and one Ally. Events and Talents are probably not limited by this rule.

Edited- Allies have health and sanity ratings, so they can get attacked and elminated.

- Some of the cards have more powerful versions (denoted by some pips under their cost) that indicate their level, and can be swapped in for their lower level versions as the campaign progresses and the Investigator earns experience.

- Some cards use ammo or resources (tokens), which also limits their use.

Edited- The card cost is probably paid with Resource tokens, that are probably gained by spending an action, from some player cards in hand or already played, and other forms.

Gameplay

- Each round investigators can perform three actions, that are not driven by the cards (no card is needed to perform an action) but where cards will obviously be used. Those actions are : Move, Battle, Search, Dig for resources and Equipment.

- Moving is probably just from one location card to another and I believe there will be limitations based on how the location cards are connected. If a Monster is present in the departed card, an Evade test has to be passed. Monsters have an Agility rating that might affect the difficulty for the test.

- Battle seems to be tested with Strength if using Weapons or with Will if using Spells. Monsters have a Strength value and a Health and Sanity damage denoted by small icons similar to the ones in the Investigator cards. Also have hit points (weapons do damage) which I guess is the number between the Str and Agi rating. Some have special abilities (spawn at certain places or move around the table (Hunter))Some of them give Victory points.

- Search is the action used to get Clues (and maybe other effects?) that advance the Act cards. It is probably affected by the Location card Shroud rating, that sets the difficulty of the test, and some Gear gives bonuses or other goodies. Obviously the Investigation? ability is the one used for this.

- Dig for Resources is probably the way to gather Supply tokens and draw and play cards from your deck. My guess is that it will be affected by Location cards and some other effects.

Edited- For most Actions attempted a Test will be called. There is a bag of Chaos Tokens that seems to drive this mechanic. Those Chaos Tokens have several icons and numbers (Eldritch icon one plus those shown in the Blinding Light spell card at least) A number of Tokens will be drawn, maybe depending on the difficulty of the test. The tokens have different numbered modifiers, positive or negative and several icons for unknown effects (for now). Other cards in your hand can be committed to the test for the ability icon they provide to boost that ability before you draw the tokens or to draw additional Chaos tokens (the ones with a question mark probably). The rating in the Investigator´s Ability tested plus the committed card if any plus/minus the Chaos Marker and other modifiers will have to match the difficulty of the test (Strength of the Monster, etc..)

Edited-Kamakaze- We seem to have 3 icons which indicate when and how you can use card abilities.

[right arrow]: use an action (these all seem to also do a basic action in bold such as Fight, just doing it better)

[circle arrow]: reaction. use in response to some event.

[lightning]: use outside of actions but not as responses (I am guessing this is similar to "action" in lotr, so you can use these in certain windows)

There also seems to be some "fast" equipment, I guess this means you can play these without spending actions in someway, as most equipment is most likely needing an action to play (the article talks about "assembling" a shotgun)

- The game will be expanded in a very similar way to LotR LCG : Mythos Packs (probably one Adventure of the Cycle/Campaign) and Deluxe Expansions to introduce new Campaigns, Investigators, etc...

Please feel free to add whatever you think I am missing and will edit the post with your theories or facts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I hope the representation of the footprint is more or less accurate, because I absolutely will love this if it's more like Warhammer Quest than Lord of the Rings (which I found to be a tad fiddly). I can't be more excited about the fact that it simply seems like a smooth system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
As we have been guessing in another thread, and based on a new picture, it seems skill checks involve your attribute, plus you can play at least 1 card from your hand with matching icons to add to your value. (we see a card designed just to be contributed to skill checks)

Classes are, Rogue, Survivor, Guardian, Seeker, plus a purple one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
As we have been guessing in another thread, and based on a new picture, it seems skill checks involve your attribute, plus you can play at least 1 card from your hand with matching icons to add to your value. (we see a card designed just to be contributed to skill checks)

Classes are, Rogue, Survivor, Guardian, Seeker, plus a purple one

Edited with your info

I guess the Purple class will be the spell oriented one? Maybe Agnes Baker, the waitress? Mandy Thompson is definitely the Seeker (librarian)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I hope it's like Warhammer Quest with a bit of Elder Sign thrown in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
I guess the Purple class will be the spell oriented one? Maybe Agnes Baker, the waitress? Mandy Thompson is definitely the Seeker (librarian)

On the Arkham Horror LCG Facebook page we determined that the Seeker was actually Daisy Walker, based on a picture of the game on display at GenCon that tweeted by Aidyn Newman from GenCon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co-YUQhWcAAxgdA.jpg

How was it determined that the Seeker was Mandy Thompson?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:

- The outcome of the earlier ones will affect the later ones in several ways (adding/eliminating monsters, introducing cards in player decks, or giving experience to improve some of their existing ones...)

Location cards can be eliminated too.

Acererak wrote:

- There is also a custom tailored Scenario deck that will include the monsters, obstacles and other cards (curses, hexes) and will probably be drawn on a one card per turn basis.

Maybe one per player per turn, like LotR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will be one card per player, I think I see a card with the "Peril" keyword in one of the photos (in lotr, this meant the person drawing the card had to decide what to do without discussion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in fact based on this image, which places 2 doom on the nearest cultist, I am fairly sure each investigator will resolve their own card, otherwise nearest has no meaning to several players (we assume they can move seperately).

It could even be that your draw a card at the start of your turn and you don't play simultaneously like in LotR.

Also they used the term "draw" for the Cultist you fetch from elsewhere instead of "reveal". Good to see them making things clear from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to have 3 icons which indicate when and how you can use card abilities.

[right arrow]: use an action (these all seem to also do a basic action in bold such as Fight, just doing it better)

[circle arrow]: reaction. use in response to some event.

[lightning]: use outside of actions but not as responses (I am guessing this is similar to "action" in lotr, so you can use these in certain windows)

There also seems to be some "fast" equipment, I guess this means you can play these without spending actions in someway, as most equipment is most likely needing an action to play (the article talks about "assembling" a shotgun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMightyKong wrote:
Acererak wrote:

On the Arkham Horror LCG Facebook page we determined that the Seeker was actually Daisy Walker, based on a picture of the game on display at GenCon that tweeted by Aidyn Newman from GenCon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co-YUQhWcAAxgdA.jpg

How was it determined that the Seeker was Mandy Thompson?

Indeed, is Daisy not Mandy. My bad, I just keep confusing them both. Edited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I think it will be one card per player, I think I see a card with the "Peril" keyword in one of the photos (in lotr, this meant the person drawing the card had to decide what to do without discussion)

Yes, it has to be per player per turn, since there is no other way for scaling the game I can think of.

Edit - Well, besides the number of clues needed to advance Acts, which also is in a per players basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited with List of Components from spanish website

- 110 Scenario cards
- 119 Player cards
- 30 Resource tokens
- 44 Chaos tokens
- 30 Clue/Horror tokens
- 1 Campaign guide
- 1 Rules Reference book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this means locations are scenario specific, which is good. I guess if locations are shared between scenarios they can just use the same "set". I wonder if the locations are part of the main deck, and you discover them as time goes on, or if the table is set up initially.

Is gencon open yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I guess this means locations are scenario specific, which is good. I guess if locations are shared between scenarios they can just use the same "set". I wonder if the locations are part of the main deck, and you discover them as time goes on, or if the table is set up initially.

Is gencon open yet?

We dont know much about locations (they were smart enough to just put the very initial one in the Gen Con Display, the Studio, which has very little info in it and just flavor text)

From the Act card of the first adventure, where the investigator house seems to be evolving, I would say is more than probable that Locations can also be placed from the Scenario deck as the game progresses.

I also like they are scenario specific. Even if its the same place in Arkham it might play another role in the story and thus have different effects, plus we will see more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be possible for the backs of the cards to have different things on them, but I think they just have the normal encounter card back from what we have seen so far. Someone should have looked under the glass upwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(Will, Investigation?, Strength and Agility)

To me the "Investigation" ability just looks like the usual "Lore" skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Quote:
(Will, Investigation?, Strength and Agility)

To me the "Investigation" ability just looks like the usual "Lore" skill.

The symbol does look like a book (could be a note book also, not a spell book). But surely that is the icon found in Investigation cards (like the Magnifying Glass) and using Lore to investigate rooms or other mundane stuff seems weird to me. Also spells use the Head icon (Will?Mind?) for sure so that is the ability used for spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Acererak wrote:
Edited with List of Components from spanish website

- 110 Scenario cards
- 119 Player cards
- 30 Resource tokens
- 44 Chaos tokens
- 30 Clue/Horror tokens
- 1 Campaign guide
- 1 Rules Reference book

Thanks. This pretty much confirms there will be no real deckbuilding for a while, and that buying only one core will make certain combination of investigators impossible for 2 players. Waiting for gencon news on how this plays as the gameplay should be great to compensate the limited options.

Also, do you guys think each mythos pack will contain an act for the current campain, making campains 9 acts long? If so, how do you feel about that and how will that affect replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mb
Team Convenant has some photos of the game from Gen Con up on Twitter, including the Round Sequence reference card:

https://twitter.com/teamcovenant/status/761205826153570304

Round Sequence:
1. Mythos Phase (skip during first round)
- Place 1 doom on the agenda
- Advance agenda if doom threshold is satisfied
- Each investigator draws 1 card from the top of the encounter deck

2. Investigation Phase
- Each investigator takes a turn, performing three actions

3. Enemy Phase
- Enemies with the Hunter keyword move toward nearest investigator
- Each engaged enemy attacks, if able

4. Upkeep phase
- Reset actions (flip mini cards)
- Ready all exhausted cards
- Each investigator draws 1 card and gains 1 resource
- Each investigator checks hand size (discards down .... cards)

Sounds like they also already recorded a gameplay video and will post it later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Also, this seems to be the action list, quoted from another forum.

The Actions read as follows:
Draw 1 card or gain 1 resource
Play an event or asset card from hand (Fast cards do not cost an action to play.)
Activate an -> ability on a card.
Move to a connecting location.
Investigate your location.
Fight or Engage an enemy at your location.
Attempt to evade an enemy engaged with you.
(Lightning bolt-y) or (circular arrow) card abilities do not cost an action to play.
The icons at the top left and bottom of each location card appear to define what it connects to (so the hallway in the image connects to each of the attic, parlor and cellar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope this game has dial counters for health and sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it, so happy that gaining resources and cards is a basic action (much like netrunner). Makes the game much less about card advantage, and more about how you use your cards.

I got fast and the lightning symbol right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem to have started with some locations in play, so I guess more must get added as the game continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some info on how locations work. seem to a stack, so i guess reveal new locations as you explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.