GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,200 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Arkham Horror: TCG vs. Apocrypha ACG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FFG's recent announcement of Arkham Horror: The Card Game has me really excited, but also at a cross roads of sorts. I backed the Apocrypha Adventure Card Game by Lone Shark Games last year and it will be releasing at nearly the same time. While each game features unique mechanics, both are horror-themed card-based adventures and they'll be direct competitors.

Apocrypha will ship with a huge base game that allows for solo, multiplayer and role playing with a DM, while AH:TCG will require 2 base sets just to allow 4 players. On the other hand, AH will cost less than half of what Apocrypha will set you back.

Apocrypha will have all expansions available at launch, a total of 1600 cards, while AH will be slow to build. On the other hand, AH has FFG behind it, which has proven the ability to build a HUGE card game over time.

Apocrypha features a number of writers creating different chapters in its horror story, while AH features the ever-popular Cthulhu mythos.

Are you picking between the two? Both Lone Shark and FFG have some dedicated followers that will blindly back them, but most gamers will weigh the merits of both. Which are you picking? Apocrypha? AH:TCG? Both? Neither? Something else?

Poll
Which are you getting?
Apocrypha Adventure Card Game
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Both
Neither
Other (add game in comments)
      34 answers
Poll created by MAJBrown22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very excited for both. The mechanics of both look to be different enough for me to justify them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
I am very excited for both. The mechanics of both look to be different enough for me to justify them both.

I'm leaning the same way, but I already backed Apocrypha and it will keep me busy for months. Not to mention, Pathfinder ACG: Mummy's Mask is coming out at just about the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
MerryHo wrote:

I'm leaning the same way, but I already backed Apocrypha and it will keep me busy for months. Not to mention, Pathfinder ACG: Mummy's Mask is coming out at just about the same time.

My biggest fear with both of those at the same time, is that my wife will probably enjoy the Egyptian theme of Mummy's Mask, then the more modern Apocrypha. >_<

I guess, I can always play it solo. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.