4 Posts

Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: elegible factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pedro garcía
msg tools
Hello All,

After first reading of the rules i'm totally lost with the options for elegible factions ( 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4). Maybe the learning curve is too much for me but I don't understand why in page 4 of the PlayBook says " since two eligible factions have no acted the turn is over. The US can do no thing ( not even pass)so there eligibility toKen remains in place".
I would be very pleased if someone can explain it to me giving examples.
Thank you very much and sorry for being completely lost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe dagostino
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to help. You can see the SEQUENCE OF PLAY in images on pages 3 and 4. There is a box titled "Eligible Factions" When the game starts all 4 factions have their cylinders in this box. The event being played shows the order in which the factions make their choice of what option they will choose.

On turn 1, the VC had the first choice and they chose to execute or take the event. They place their cylinder in the box titled "1st Faction Event". This limited the NVA player to choose between passing or placing their cylinder in the box titled "2nd Faction Op". The NVA player chose to pass and placed their cylinder in the area labeled "Pass". The next faction, the player playing the ARVN, chooses to place their cylinder in the box titled "2nd Faction Op". Once a 1st Faction action and a 2nd faction action has been chosen the turn is over.

On this turn we see that one faction took the event, one faction passed, one faction took the 2nd faction op and the last faction (the US) was left as eligible for the next event card. The NVA, having passed is also eligible for the next event card, as they planned. The other two factions - the VC and the ARVN have their cylinders moved to the box titled "Ineligible Factions".

I hope I was clear. I find the coin games very interesting and fun with many tense decisions to make. Perhaps playing with someone who has more experience may help you get started. I hope you find the game as much fun as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two factions total can act each turn. Once two factions act, any remaining factions have to wait until the next turn to act. You go along the factions in order. The first one on the card can choose to act or pass. If they pass they remain eligible for the next turn. You move along the factions on the card until two factions have acted and then the turn is over. Any factions that acted are ineligible to act next turn. Any factions that passed or did not act are eligible for the next turn.

So if two factions have acted before the US, then the US would not get to act this turn.

Example

Turn 1:

card faction order: NVA, ARVN, Viet Cong, US

NVA passes and remains eligible for the next turn. ARVN take the event and are now ineligible for turn two. Viet Cong do an Op & SA and are now ineligible for turn two. Since ARVN and Viet Cong chose to act, the turn is over and the US remain eligible for turn two.

Turn 2:

card faction order: US, Viet Cong, ARVN, NVA

US are first in order, and did not act last turn, so they choose to take the event. ARVN acted in turn one so they are ineligible and cannot act in turn two. Viet Cong acted in turn one, so they are also ineligible and cannot act in turn two. NVA are last eligible, since only the US has acted so far this turn they are eligible and choose to do and OP & SA.

Turn 3:

card faction order: US, NVA, Viet Cong, ARVN

US are first in order, but took the event last turn so they cannot act this turn. NVA are second in order, but they did an OP & SA last turn and are ineligible this round. Viet Cong are third in order, they did not act in turn 2 so they are eligible this turn. However, they choose to pass because they want to take advantage of the next card. ARVN did not act in turn two, so they are eligible this turn, but they also choose not to act and wait until next turn.

Turn 4:

card faction order ARVN, Viet Cong, US, NVA

Since no factions acted last turn, everyone is eligible for this turn. ARVN gets first choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn sequence is a bit unusual for those who have never played a COIN game. Take heart, once you get this concept, you are set for the entire series (aside from the upcoming 2-player Algerian game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.