Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Post Office action is to take the Post Office from another player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right.
The post office is one of the more unique buildings. The action is changing ownership, and literally moving it from one corner of town to another. It's also the one action building that has an effect even if you don't use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Villemure
Canada
Lévis
QC
flag msg tools
Stop hovering my badge !
badge
Did you know? Hibou is french for owl.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game yesterday and the Post Office really seemed an uninteresting building to build.

The player who build it has to spend a worker & resources to build it. The benefits are the end-game point and the recurring 2$. But as soon as it is built, any other player can steal all the benefits with a single worker (no resources needed).

It seemed clear to us that it was better to wait for someone else to build it then steal it immediately after. Unless we missed something ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about right, it's dangerous to build because someone can steal it easily.
But on the other hand, it's not really worth stealing, because they'll have to pay you before they get to use it, and basically any other action in the game is more valuable. Yes, it's a point, but they can just as easily lose the point later.
The best option is to try and build it when everyone else is busy trying to get ships out or pay for whales. Then nobody wants to spend a turn to gain a few coins over multiple rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bold

Colorado
msg tools
Sivilized wrote:
That's right.
The post office is one of the more unique buildings. The action is changing ownership, and literally moving it from one corner of town to another. It's also the one action building that has an effect even if you don't use it.

Nat, I would be curious to know if the Post Office really did move around that much in historic New Bedford. As a postal worker and union officer at my local I do know that the USPS has been messing with facilities (closing, moving etc.) now, but was there some historical basis for coming up this particular game mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no real historical basis for that, as far as I'm aware. I envisioned it more as the postal worker moving from location to location in town. But it could perhaps be seen as different shipowners being in charge of the incoming mail ships.
A bit tenuous, in any case. This one was more about having a fun effect. Doing it all again, I'd save the building for at least the first expanison, maybe even hold off longer than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.