Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the kind of game do you think are the best wooden components or plastic?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say wood... only because I already have it. whistle

Plastic may be more durable, but not sure it matches the weight of the wood components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original wooden version and enjoy it. I haven't been able to play with the plastic version, but can't imagine it would be any different.

Sure, I'm sure there is a change in the tactile nuance, but in the end, you're flicking disks at standees.

The reduced price point sure makes the game more accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the wood version myself, with the first expansion in wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the wood version and it's great. I would not want it in plastic, most just feel aesthetic reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the plastic version at the weekend. Seems ok to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
msg tools
Does the plastic version include everything the same as the wood version? I think the wood version seems to have stands for the players, although that doesn't seem extremely important

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Plastic may be more durable, but not sure it matches the weight of the wood components.

This is what I'm thinking about as well. From the gen con live broadcast it seems that the pieces are the same size. IIRC the person even said its compatible with the expansions (which atm are all wood), though I'm not sure how well would the plastic pieces fare against the wood pieces.

IE: A wood tomahawk piece striking a plastic meeple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bender Bending
msg tools
I only have the plastic version and have only played this version, not the wooden one, but have looked at and felt both of them. The plastic version plays surprisingly well. The gun discs have a nice weight to them and so does the movement disc. The game pieces are not as fragile and as light as you might think. The components are really well done, and the insert is amazing. The wooden discs do seem to slide slightly easier though, but that also depends on the surface you are playing on. Overall I don't feel there are any major differences in how they play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hardiklad wrote:
I only have the plastic version and have only played this version, not the wooden one, but have looked at and felt both of them. The plastic version plays surprisingly well. The gun discs have a nice weight to them and so does the movement disc. The game pieces are not as fragile and as light as you might think. The components are really well done, and the insert is amazing. The wooden discs do seem to slide slightly easier though, but that also depends on the surface you are playing on. Overall I don't feel there are any major differences in how they play.

Thanks for the report. With the massive price difference, I think I may grab the plastic version if/when I get the game. I love wood components and all, but $40 is a whole other game that I could then justify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has someone tried mixing plastic and wood expansions yet? . I have seen red rock tomahawk at good price but is wood and i am not sure of buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.