Popular Tags: [View All]
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Just venting.

The EPA is out of control.

Right here, in the middle of no where, no industry to speak of, tiny population, the most air polluted city in America.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/new-lawsuit-to-be-...

We don't have a pollution problem, we have a cold problem. The coldest city in the nation. The only sizable American city in the subarctic. During a cold snap pollutants tend to linger at ground level. What the article manages to leave out is that the federal government operates 2 coal plants in the pollution zone. One generates all the power and heat for the Army base, the other does the same at the Air Force Base. The govt has exempted itself from EPA standards. Those two bases represent a significant chunk of the local population and power consumption. I'd guess 1/4 of the population and more than that in power generation. Everyone else needs to pick up the slack.

"The plan" was to bring natural gas to the region. That fell through, partly because the govt wouldn't commit to change from coal to natural gas. That made the economic margins too tight.

But that is mostly irrelevant. The fact we are the most polluted city in America should be held up as a badge of honor of just how clean American air is. You cannot imagine how often tourists remark to me how good the air is here.... AND that is during an air quality advisory. We are in a near constant air advisory when the temperature is below 20 (-5 C). That's half the year. Seriously. The average temp is below freezing for half the year.

I mostly don't care what you fuckers think. This post is just a vent against an out of control, ideal RSP, one size fits all regulation, nanny state.

Take your arrogant ignorance to a Trump thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
You cannot imagine how often tourists remark to me how good the air is here.... AND that is during an air quality advisory.

Yeah, well, Southern Californians say weird things about Oregon, too. Like "How long did it take your state to plant all these trees?" or "Why is it always so rainy?"...

Using tourist quotes to back up an argument is...I'd say not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
You cannot imagine how often tourists remark to me how good the air is here.... AND that is during an air quality advisory.

Yeah, well, Southern Californians say weird things about Oregon, too. Like "How long did it take your state to plant all these trees?" or "Why is it always so rainy?"...

Is that like taking a democrat's opinion of Trump seriously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Beats taking a cabbie's opinion on pollution standards.

Go murder Gaia more with your CO2 death-machine, Snow Dwarf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
spoon wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Beats taking a cabbie's opinion on pollution standards.

Go murder Gaia more with your CO2 death-machine, Snow Dwarf!

If a CO2 death machine is a furnace, then yes. You burned me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
What the article manages to leave out is that the federal government operates 2 coal plants in the pollution zone. One generates all the power and heat for the Army base, the other does the same at the Air Force Base. The govt has exempted itself from EPA standards.
Emphasis mine
That is more than a wee bit fucking hatstand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
How is this evidence of a "one size fits all regulation, nanny state" if the issue is that the standard EPA requirement's don't apply to Alaska presumably due to its special geography / demographics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Just venting.

The EPA is out of control.

Right here, in the middle of no where, no industry to speak of, tiny population, the most air polluted city in America.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/new-lawsuit-to-be-...

We don't have a pollution problem, we have a cold problem. The coldest city in the nation. The only sizable American city in the subarctic. During a cold snap pollutants tend to linger at ground level. What the article manages to leave out is that the federal government operates 2 coal plants in the pollution zone. One generates all the power and heat for the Army base, the other does the same at the Air Force Base. The govt has exempted itself from EPA standards. Those two bases represent a significant chunk of the local population and power consumption. I'd guess 1/4 of the population and more than that in power generation. Everyone else needs to pick up the slack.

"The plan" was to bring natural gas to the region. That fell through, partly because the govt wouldn't commit to change from coal to natural gas. That made the economic margins too tight.

According to the article that you supplied, wood smoke is the problem, not coal power plants. Sounds like you are just trying to blame the government for something that isn't the government's fault. I also did a google search to confirm, and all of the top hits on 'fairbanks alaska air pollution' were talking about wood smoke.

So it sounds to me like you believe the government should foot the bill for cleaning up the air pollution caused by everyone else burning wood. Why are you asking for government handouts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:

Sure does not sound that the Army coal plant is exempt from EPA regulations nor that it can just violate air regs:

Quote:
The Fort’s investment of close to $20 million in the pollution control project was part of a multi-million dollar settlement reached with EPA in 1999. An EPA complaint accused the Army of years of major violations of the federal Clean Air Act at its Fort Wainwright installation in Alaska.
For years, the plant has self-reported violations of State opacity limits, often numbering in the hundreds of violations per month. With the upgrade, the Fort is now able to comply with the limits.

https://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d96f984dfb3ff77185...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
I mostly don't care what you fuckers think.

Yeah, we noticed... laugh

I feel your pain. I live in the Oklahoma ounty with the worst air quality in the state. There are 5,000 people in the ENTIRE county. There are a few oil and gas wells on the eastern border, but other than that, it's cattle, sheep, horses, and winter wheat. Yet our air quality is shit. Why? Fucking Dallas-Arlington-Fort Worth pumps out crap air every day, and thanks to the northerly flow of wind, it dumps on us. Fortunately, the EPA doesn't give a shit about 5,000 ignorant Okies living out on the southern plains.

You know, it actually sounds like the EPA is working with Fairbanks city officials and the AEPA to get this sorted out. But I know, those pesky lefty enviro nuts are making noise, and a lot of people get irritated by that.

So in the spirit of this being my Friday:

Rant away motherfucker!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.