Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been skimming the Rules-forum and even if there is a lot of questions that can be easily answered by referencing to the rulebook. there are however some that seems more 'valid'.

Jamey have been giving good answers to most of these, but it would be nice if these questions were collected in some sort of FAQ.

So I wonder: Is there any official FAQ coming soon perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Well, most frequently asked questions are all clearly answered in rules, so ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Griffard
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen to Alex G, he knows what he's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is awesome in its completeness. Unfortunately that doesn't stop people from asking questions. By definition, an FAQ is a list of those asked most frequently. Often they include issues missed or unclear in the rules, but just a restatement of the rules likely to be missed on a first reading can be extremely useful.

An official FAQ is not an indication that the rules are in any way deficient. There a lot of rule threads, mostly cleared up by quoting the book, but still collecting those asked most often could be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the final page of the rule book (page 31) IS an FAQ. It recounts several rules that were missed the most often in play testing. It's awesome, on Jamey's advice I re-read it after a few plays and found a couple things I was doing wrong.

Seriously, what other manual comes with an FAQ? And people still don't read it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ward
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see a new ruling on dealing out objective cards at the beginning of the game. There should be a draft mechanic. Pick two out of three or something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Douglas- I agree. Some objectives are especially hard for some factions/playboards to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryflow wrote:
I would like to see a new ruling on dealing out objective cards at the beginning of the game. There should be a draft mechanic. Pick two out of three or something along those lines.

What ruling? That's a variant, and house rules and variants aren't covered in an FAQ. The official way to deal out objective cards is covered quite nicely in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think quite a few folks frequently asked question is when is my game going to arrive. Although I have the game my frequently asked question to myself is when am I going to get the time to set it up and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
binaryflow wrote:

What ruling? That's a variant, and house rules and variants aren't covered in an FAQ. The official way to deal out objective cards is covered quite nicely in the rule book.

And if you would like to play like that - go for your life

Its your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Actually, the final page of the rule book (page 31) IS an FAQ. It recounts several rules that were missed the most often in play testing. It's awesome, on Jamey's advice I re-read it after a few plays and found a couple things I was doing wrong.

Seriously, what other manual comes with an FAQ? And people still don't read it...

While it's great that Scythe has a FAQ in the manual, a lot of other games do this too. The problem is that people generally skim through the rules instead of reading them closely. Beyond that, FAQs are a dynamic thing, the designer doesn't know every single question that will be commonly asked, and sometimes there are areas of the rulebook that end up being more vague then the designer anticipated. Having a FAQ that lives outside of a static rulebook is a valuable thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An official FAQ appeared less than 12 hours after the OP of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
That was so very helpful!

I also posted another thread in an attempt to better explain what I was going for. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616021/any-official-rules-...

You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ezel wrote:
randiv wrote:
That was so very helpful!

I also posted another thread in an attempt to better explain what I was going for. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616021/any-official-rules-...

You're welcome!

I guess Jamey will eventually include some more of the rules clarifications on the official FAQ, since it has existed for about two weeks now and been continously expanded since then.

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.