United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
BAD TOUCH!!!
badge
Ohh yeahh! That's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
What book(s) have you given up on recently and what made you stop reading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Illearth War by Stephen R Donaldson. To me the story was slow and uninteresting I am surprised I finished the first book in the trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Maybe it doesn't translate well to audio book? Maybe it is not my cup of tea? Maybe I like sentences that are slightly shorter than the average paragraph? Something? I bailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
BAD TOUCH!!!
badge
Ohh yeahh! That's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Endless Night by Milo Milton Hastings

After WWI, the Germans were confined to the city of Berlin, which was encased in a large concrete dome. There they lived closed off from the world as they struggled and survived for years up to the start of the book in the year 2041.

I picked this one up because it is free and I had nothing else in line to read. It was published in 1920, which is neat when you consider what the author predicted, if you will, in the book. It's just that distopias don't sit well with me. I tend to get easily bored and strangely disturbed by them. I wanted to see what happens to the main character but not enough to keep on reading through the world he was in. I tired and made it halfway, but I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow

Unlikable protagonist. Weak, forced dialogue. "Convenient" plot devices. Maybe it got better but I think I only made it three or four chapters in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to shock some with this:

Bored of the Rings by The Harvard Lampoon

In short, I found the humor forced and the puns obvious. I tried for a chapter or two and it just wasn't getting any better.

Edit: In hindsight, this book was probably intended to be read while stoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, just last month I bailed on The Warden by Trollope. From my "what did you read in July" review:

I loved "Barchester Towers," so this (the prequel) seemed a great book to read. But no, it isn't. Missing all the interesting characters of Towers, here the book focuses on Warden Harding, his daughter, and his son in law. The plot is far simpler, and very repetitive. Over and over, we hear how meek Warden Harding is, how militant the archdeacon is, how sweet the daughter is, etc. I gave up about ⅔ of the way through, because I realized nothing new was going to happen for the rest of the novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galstaff wrote:

Maybe it doesn't translate well to audio book? Maybe it is not my cup of tea? Maybe I like sentences that are slightly shorter than the average paragraph? Something? I bailed.

Oh man. I read that book earlier this year and loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Galstaff wrote:

Oh man. I read that book earlier this year and loved it.

I was reading it partly due to your review. I was trying to listen to it (as I do most books) while driving. I could not hold the thread and kept checking-out of the narrative. The language and the sentence structure made it difficult. I promised a friend (Jane Austen fan) that I would get a copy and actually read it. When I do, I will report in the monthly thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Book 4 of the Dark Tower. After plowing through books 1, 2, and 3 in a month, I've been stuck on book 4 for about six years. I just can't.

Way to slam on the brakes, King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm not your lover. I'm not your friend.
badge
I am something you will never comprehend.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rarely been able to give up on a book. I feel like once I start, I need to finish it. It's rare for me to just . . . stop.

However, I gave up on Helprin's In Sunlight and in Shadow. A brief glance at Scott's review should give you some indication why.

Helprin is one of my favorite writers. I think Winter's Tale is a masterpiece. I love Memoir from Antproof Case. A Soldier of the Great War is begging for a reread right now.

But In Sunlight and in Shadow just . . . no.

Also gave up on:

Dandelion Fire, by N.D. Wilson. The sequel to 100 Cupboards, and I think too much time had passed between reading the first and second books, and the kids and I were totally confused most of the time.

The Magnificent Ambersons, by Booth Tarkington. I probably didn't give it enough time before I gave up, but I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, and it just wasn't happening.

The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit. We love Nesbit, but I got a really poorly-formatted Kindle version from Amazon, and that made it difficult to read. Will return to it soon.

The Gods of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. So much hand-to-hand combat in the first three or four chapters, I just got bored. Another one I promise to return to eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I don't exactly remember which book I quit on, maybe after book 4 or 5. The pacing became just too slow and one of the villains came off a bit cliche back when I was trying to read this series.

'Tugs braid.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one book I remember giving up on and it was a while ago. Something about a vampire working in the television industry in LA and it appeared to approaching a sex scene and there was talk about his "icy pole" shake

There was another about lots and lots of rain, i.e. months of rain, flooding of the world etc. and carnivorous worms. I actually stuck that one out to the end, that's a few hours of my life I am never getting back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit Return of the King right after they climbed the stair.

I didn't make it far into Thomas Convent the Unbeliever.

I have to buy series one at a time, I find if I purchase the whole series at once I never finish it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tenpence wrote:
The Illearth War by Stephen R Donaldson. To me the story was slow and uninteresting I am surprised I finished the first book in the trilogy.

When I saw this thread, I first thought of Donaldson! I made it through the Second Chronicles, but after that, I could not take anymore.

But to mention a book I gave up without finishing, The Shining, by King. What a boring heap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Insomnia by Stephen King
And You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers

Both were just really boring--an even greater sin than being bad. Take The Art of Fielding for example. That book's utter shit, but I flat out enjoyed hating every page of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't quite abandoned it yet, but I am having a hard time finding the motivation to continue it:

Brandon Sanderson: The Final Empire (Mistborn trilogy 1)

Earlier this year I abandoned:

Patrick Ness: The Knife of never letting go, which was just awful and dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I don't exactly remember which book I quit on, maybe after book 4 or 5. The pacing became just too slow and one of the villains came off a bit cliche back when I was trying to read this series.

'Tugs braid.'

Came here to post this. I will post The Wheel of Time in 'Books that suck' threads forever.

'Smooths skirt'

Also anything by Terry Brooks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting books that were assigned to me for a class, I have only abandoned ONE book partway through:

The Number of the Beast by Robert Heinlein. From his "sucky" period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Pone4games wrote:
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I don't exactly remember which book I quit on, maybe after book 4 or 5.
Hell, I quit about five chapters into Book One.

*tugs braid, smooths skirt*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shift (book 2 of the Silo Trilogy) - the First book was an interesting post-apocalypic story about a group living underground in a missile silo, where *something* happened at some point in the distant past to make life above-ground impossible. The story was about the survivors, their life, and how they will move forward, and the overall mystery of "what happened?" was a fascinating mystery lurking in the back of the reader's mind.

Book 2, however, was entirely focused on "what happened." Critical Fail. There are reasons why magicians don't show how they do their illusions, and many prequels don't live up to the excitement or success of the original work. Adding insult to injury, the book revolved around boring characters (including mysterious politicians pulling the strings behind the scenes...oooh...), deliberately vague time-hopping forward and backward between chapters, and was a slog. I bailed 50-60% of the way through, and won't be coming back for book #3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I abandon probably 1 in 20 books. If I'm sure the book is going to end up being a waste of my time, I stop. It's kind of hard to do that, you feel bad or that you've wasted the time so far, but learning to give up on a book is IMHO a valuable skill.

Another I gave up on: Ulysses by some Irish guy. I made it through 100 pages of stream of consciousness, and so far all that had happened was some guy went for a walk. And he hadn't finished his walk yet. Which would be OK if his stream of consciousness was really interesting, but mostly it was crap like "Oh look, there's sausage hanging in the butcher's window." I can see why the novel became famous, it's a really radical departure from normal narrative form, but that doesn't make it fun to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hogfather by Terry Pratchet. I've read a ton of his books and just couldn't get into this one. His humor wears thin with me if I read too many of his books in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like I abandon more than I finish lately. I finally gave up on Death Masks, book 5 of the Dresden Files. After 2 months of being stuck in the middle, I realized that I was bored and not retaining anything I read and it didn't really matter because it was so similar to the previous 4 books. So I donated it to the free book rack at work and picked up Stephen King's 11/22/63 from the same rack. So far I am enjoying that one.

Speaking of Stephen King, another recently abandoned book was Revival. I got about halfway through that one too but the storyline was meandering along and there didn't seem to be any point to it, so I put it in a box to be given to goodwill or something.

In the past I would have just slogged through these books, hoping the stories would get better, or at least just finishing them out of sheer stubbornness. But lately when I find books like that, I keep thinking to myself that I'm wasting valuable time reading something I'm not interested in when there are plenty of wonderful stories out there just waiting to be picked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.