Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am familiar with Evolution, but haven't played it. I read through these rules and the wife and I sat down to play. We were so frustrated that we couldn't finish the game. So I come here seeking help-

First- Long neck- the 3 food from excess food go on the population or straight to the bag? I think we are hung up with how the rule book says "must eat 3 food...". Makes it sound as if the food goes straight in the bag?

Second- what is the point of fertile? We always felt we had enough cards to make population, so why do we need this card?

Third- the watering hole, why even put the food in there? We always used that food up on our own turns and never saw any food go past a players turn. When you put a new species out each turn, you know that one food goes there unless you make it a carnivore (or long neck assuming the food goes on the population?). Obviously you want to keep your species so you score them at the end of the game, so thats 1 food gone there of 2 placed at the beginning of the turn.

It felt like the whole game revolved around evolving your species in to carnivores and the game becoming a bloodbath. Is that the intention of how the game is supposed to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Long neck: all food you eat has to go onto your population cards before it goes into the bag (which happens at the end of the round generally). The three did from long neck has to go onto that species' cards. If you don't have room for all of it you only take as much as you can fit.

Fertile: it saves you a card each round? This one seems kind of self explanatory to me.

The watering hole can accumulate food, but it's rare in my games so far. Mainly it's to differentiate feeding carnivores and herbivores I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. As for fertile- I inderstand what it does, it just seems pointless as we were too full of cards the entire time that we didn't see the need for it over other traits. We felt we always had a handful and had to balance making species or growing population with the amount of food available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fertile is useful for making a self sustaining cattle species to feed your carnivores, specifically. Probably other specific uses too, but that's the first one we saw in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hagaf22 wrote:
So I am familiar with Evolution, but haven't played it. I read through these rules and the wife and I sat down to play. We were so frustrated that we couldn't finish the game. So I come here seeking help-

First- Long neck- the 3 food from excess food go on the population or straight to the bag? I think we are hung up with how the rule book says "must eat 3 food...". Makes it sound as if the food goes straight in the bag?

Second- what is the point of fertile? We always felt we had enough cards to make population, so why do we need this card?

Third- the watering hole, why even put the food in there? We always used that food up on our own turns and never saw any food go past a players turn. When you put a new species out each turn, you know that one food goes there unless you make it a carnivore (or long neck assuming the food goes on the population?). Obviously you want to keep your species so you score them at the end of the game, so thats 1 food gone there of 2 placed at the beginning of the turn.

It felt like the whole game revolved around evolving your species in to carnivores and the game becoming a bloodbath. Is that the intention of how the game is supposed to play?

Hi Gerry. I'm sorry your first play was so frustrating. We put a lot of effort into making the rules simple and clear, but it looks like we failed on that account for you. soblue

1) Long Neck gives a species 3 Food, but never more food than it can eat (it's Population, or x2 Population if it has Fat Tissue). The rules says it "must eat 3 Food BEFORE it eats any other Food." This keeps the species from attacking first (if it is a Carnivore) and depleting the Watering Hole if it is not a Carnivore.

2) Fertile allows you to draw an extra card EVERY round. This is a very powerful card in a 2-player game.

3) I've seen the Watering Hole get up to 6 Food on several occasions. It's more likely to happen in a multi-player game. But I've seen many 2-player games where the food builds up to 4 or even 5.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dominic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.