Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: How often do you pledge in Indiegogo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello guys, not sure if this category is fine since I don't see any dedicated forum to Indiegogo.

Anyways here it goes. How often do you guys actually pledge a project in Indiegogo comparing to Kickstarter? KS isn't available to all countries so the "why don't you launch in KS instead?" theory is not gonna work.

I believe many of us here are KS fans and so what will actually bring you to Indiegogo? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically, I will no longer back a board game project on Indiegogo, and I say this as somebody who has used IGG to crowdfund a board game project myself!

IGG has two big problems for me:
* The flexible funding model they use has poisoned the well, and too many people 'know' that on IGG, the project creator 'gets all the money even if they fail'. This means that an IGG project can be expected to perform poorly even with a fixed funding model, because it's seen as an untrustworthy brand.
* Pledges cannot be changed or canceled (or at least they couldn't last time I looked)

At the end of the day, fulfilling a board game project requires a lot of logistic competence and hard work. Compared to the work of fulfilling the project, finding a partner that allows you to instead run your project on Kickstarter is comparatively simple, and can be reliably expected to bring in more money. If a project creator cannot manage the logistics and see the financial sense of running on KS instead of IGG, I have difficulty believing that they have the logistical and financial skills to actually deliver a project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it was something I 100% needed to have and could never get anywhere else, I wouldn't.

It's mostly a matter of convenience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much down to a problem of trust.

- Is it someone I know?
- Is it a charity gig? (I once pledged to help send a ring bearer to a wedding. I did get some rpg pdfs out of it.)
- Is it a big enough thing that I expect it to succeed? (I backed the Con Man project and got my DVD out of it. I backed 'Watch it Played' season 6 recently, which is both charity and I'm expecting a promo out of it.)

Indiegogo is harder to use. It's harder to adjust your pledge if you want to, it's harder to keep in touch with your projects and that they're up to date. I like the idea of the system, but they seriously need to get things working better.

Would I back a boardgame on it? Not sure. Probably not. I suppose of CMON switched to Indiegogo I'd back it, but why would they when Kickstarter's working so well for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I have wanted to back so far has been on Kickstarter. It would take an exceptional project to get me to sign up for an account on Indiegogo. I have enough passwords to remember, I don't need another one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
Everything I have wanted to back so far has been on Kickstarter. It would take an exceptional project to get me to sign up for an account on Indiegogo. I have enough passwords to remember, I don't need another one...

This is my big thing. I haven't really seen anything of interest on Indiegogo, plus I find it harder to find things I'm interested in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been burned too many times by projects run on IGG. The biggest red flag is when something fails on KS and is re-launched on IGG instead of KS. 100% of the time I've followed a project from KS to IGG they have disappeared with the money. I also don't like the payment model as others have outlined above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, there'd have to be a worthwhile project that wasn't on KS for some reason.

So far, there haven't been any, aside from WatchItPlayed which is both a valuable service and consistently reliable in terms of reward delivery.

IndieGoGo is harder to use than KS (bad search/category filtering, difficulty of altering pledges etc.) and everything that I've wanted to pledge has been on KS. If they want to rival KickStarter as a good tabletop game pledge platform, they have work to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.