6 Posts

Gem Rush» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exact Order? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing like I was normally last night in prep for this weekend. However, I ran into a little problem. I had a room I could unlock if I had enough gems. Which, coincidentally, were provided by the room I was on. Now. I had only moved 2, that would be my 3rd move. So, I thought, okay, use the room power, collect the cards, burn cards, move on. Then I thought, wait a minute, does it say that these need to be done in the exact order? I have 1 move left. It does not say that I have to finish up the moves before using a room's special power. It also says that I can use the room's special power.

So I used the room's special power, got the gems which upped my score, used the next room's special power, since that was move 3, then burned cards. A little voice kept telling me that I cheated. But you know what? I didn't care. I was having a blast playing this way. And I had to stop and think that maybe this was the correct way? Cause I've played following exact order before, and never got higher then 25 points. This time, however, I got a whopping 49. 1 just shy from Master rank. I almost don't want to record this play because of the rules question. But I was having so much fun, I don't care if I do or not.

So the question. Do I have to follow the sequence of play in exact order? Or did I make the right call there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can only use the rooms special ability after your movement is over unless the special ability for the room says it is a movement ability. So you did not play it the right way. A sequence of play is just that. The order you follow for each turn. If it says you can do these actons in any order than that is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed with Joseph. The rules seem fairly clear on the subject:

Rules p. 4 wrote:
During each turn, a player performs the following steps, in order:
1. Discard ...
2. Move: Move your player token up to 3 steps in the mine
3. Action: Draw one gem card OR use the ability of the
room you are currently in
4. Burn Cards ...

Emphasis mine.

Thus, at the point you use the ability of a room, you have ceased your Move phase for that turn and entered the Action phase. After which you burn and begin again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my rule book it says under sequence or play
"During each turn a player performs the following steps in order"
It then numbers the steps 1-4.
Not sure how much more clear it could be. I guess they could have said exact order.

Maybe you have a misprinted rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be pretty silly if you could do the "discard down to 4" step out of order (after using all your cards on construction).

Doing the steps out of order isn't even as powerful as giving yourself extra actions, though...
xhunterko wrote:
So I used the room's special power, got the gems which upped my score, used the next room's special power...

If you could do unlimited actions, then you could just keep drawing cards until you had the whole deck in your hand! You only get one action per turn.

Unless, of course, the first room's power was a "special move" power, in which case you can do it for a movement point and still have your action left. (But even then, if you only have 1 move left, you can't use a room's special move and construct a new room. And IIRC none of the special moves let you draw cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose my line of thought was, move, use special power, move 2, use special power, move 3, use special power.

I just figured logically, if I used the special power, why would I just stop moving if I have moves left?

Oh well. Guess I'll not play that way this weekend. Thanks y'all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.