Subject: Help? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I want to like this game. Art and theme are great. I love that it's cooperative. Card powers are cool. However, is it just brutally hard or am I doing something wrong? Played several times agains the "easiest" villains and just got destroyed every time. Played with three heroes. We would be rolling along pretty well and then...BAM!...discard all your ongoing cards...heroes cannot use powers...the villain flips a card that does 15 damage (how are we going to kill that when we have no cards, no powers?). This is just an example of some of the crazy stuff that happens but it seems like no matter how we build up or prepare, between the villan and environment we just, at soeme point, get totally steamrolled. Is this normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A rule of thumb is the fewer heroes the harder the game. Try it again with four or five and you'll most likely see a big difference.

Which villian did you play against. Was it Baron Blade (the easiest to start)?

Some villains are certainly harder than others and the better heroes tend to have more complex card interactions (which require more experience).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also sounds like you played in Megaopolis and for first playthroughs I would suggest using Insula Primalis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, use Legacy. He's super simple, so if you don't have 5 humans I'd recommend having someone play him in addition to another hero. Legacy makes every game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second playing with four. The other thing to keep in mind is that the first couple of times against any of the villains in this game are really learning games. What does this villain have, what cards are nasty/what can be safely ignored. For example, if the villain has a wipe-all (Dawn, Omnitron) then you might want to hold back on playing every ongoing and equipment in your hand. You're also still in the learning what the environments have and learning how to play the heroes effectively, while also probably making unintentional rules mistakes or oversights. (I still occasionally catch something I've missed hundreds of games in) (I play with a friend who often forgets to draw at the end of his turn.)

If you like the game, but it seems too difficult, then ease will come with familiarity. If you're still having issues with a particular boss/hero/environment, then look either here or over on the forums at Greater than Games and see if there's a strategy article (Flamethrower's series of strategy articles on the heroes are pretty good and can give some interesting tricks, they're stickied on the GtG forums)

My favorite trick against the card that does 15 damage is to bounce it back with Tachyon's Synaptic Interruption, destroying it before it can hit anyone else. Other people enjoy using Visionary's Wrest the Mind and redirecting each one of its hits back on omnitron himself (it hurts Visionary, but the payoff is 9 damage to her for 36 damage to Omnitron in a 3 player game)

Long answer, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It sounds like you fought Omnitron in Megalopolis. Omnitron can be tricky, and I think Megalopolis is the hardest environment in the base set.

Give Baron Blade a spin in Insula Primalis! It's the classic first battle. Prioritise doing damage on his 1st side and you should get a much fairer introduction.

If you use straightforward heroes, too, you'll have a better time of it early on. Tachyon, Legacy, Fanatic and Ra are all great heroes to use to start with. If you do, a few tips:

Legacy: Always use Galvanise!

Ra: Stack your fire damage buffs. Look out for the strong fire damage in the environment - if it could kill your team, consider using your power that makes everyone immune to fire.

Tachyon: Fill your discard pile with Burst. Always use your power. Save Lightspeed Barrage for when your discard pile has lots of burst. Hypersonic Assault is an amazing defensive card.

Fanatic: Her base power becomes ridiculous when you have damage increases (e.g. from Legacy or Ra). Each 1 damage gets the plus 1; so if your party has +2 damage, she does 1+2, then 1+2 again, for a total of 6 damage. Wrathful Retribution is a great finisher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting used to the hero decks to know what to dig for, or keep drawing cards for also makes a huge difference. Bunker didn't make much sense to me until I learned about his cards and what frequency I might see them at, same for Absolute Zero. (I'm still working on Visionary and Tachyon... can't use them well.)

Also, You might try the digital version for solo play (PC, iOS, Android). It takes care of all of the book keeping for you so you can focus on learning the cards. It's very well done and might help get you over the learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Burdess
United States
Rogers
Arkansas
flag msg tools
There were three of us, playing 3 heroes...Legacy, RA, and Absolute Zero, against Omnitron in Megaopolis. Seems like this is a game that demands many plays on a regular basis to know what Villan/Environment and Hero combos to play and then how to play each. We have also played against Baron Blade, twice and, I think, lost both times. I can't remember what heroes we used. Its a cool concept so I suspect we will keep at it. Thanks for all the ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Although Omnitron is listed as being a 1 difficulty this is not really true. His deck is structured in such a way that with lucky draws he can be closer to a 2 or even a 3 though with unlucky draws he is a 1.

Barron Blade is the best starting villain and if you are having difficulty try using more heroes with 1 player controlling 2 heroes or 1 hero controlled by the group.

Megaopolis is a fair environment but it can be tricky for first timers since it potentially shuts you down a lot. Atlantis is a very difficult environment and you should absolutey avoid it. Mars is a weird environment with a bunch of "glitched" cards that can sometimes be badly abused. Insula Primalis can dish out tons of damage but doesn't really have any strange effects making it a good choice.

While you are correct that some villains/environments expect you to know them ahead of time to have a real good chance most can just be winged as long as you understand good basic strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone here is providing good advice. But most importantly, don't play in Megalopolis or Ruins of Atlantis in your first playthroughs. If you insist, make sure you've got someone like Wraith or Tempest in play that can simply destroy enviro cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikngZombeHntr wrote:
There were three of us, playing 3 heroes...Legacy, RA, and Absolute Zero, against Omnitron in Megaopolis. Seems like this is a game that demands many plays on a regular basis to know what Villan/Environment and Hero combos to play and then how to play each. We have also played against Baron Blade, twice and, I think, lost both times. I can't remember what heroes we used. Its a cool concept so I suspect we will keep at it. Thanks for all the ideas.

Absolute Zero is a hero that requires a fair bit of set up. He's (frankly) pretty terrible against Omnitron with Omni's equipment destruction. I would go with the suggestion to use Fanatic here. Tachyon can work too, but is a little squishy in these games. Visionary's Twist the Ether is always useful, but a lot of her cards feel like they're not worth playing in beginner games. Wraith... I probably wouldn't play either as a newbie. She can work well, but Omnitron's ability to blow up stuff keeps sending her back to square one.

Frankly I don't really like Omnitron fights that much. :|

But yeah, Legacy, Ra and Fanatic or Haka against Baron Blade in Insula Primalis is a fun and easy entry into the game!

Here's my literal explanation of how to play this game when I'm playing that set up with new people. "Alright! So the evil Baron Blade has created a beam to pull the moon into the Earth! His discard pile is the countdown to the culmination of his plan. We have to stop him before he gets to 15 cards in his discard pile! I'm playing Legacy, I'm sorta like Superman, sorta like Captain America and my job is to help you guys do lots of damage to him. You two are X and Y... your job is to beat him stupid."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Beat him stupid" is I think going to be my new battlecry for this game.

I'll second (third? Eighth?) What everyone is saying here. Certain et ups are great for learning game mechanics. If the bookkeeping is something you're having trouble with (not a dig. There's just a LOT) then I absolutely suggest the digital app to get you going. Its on the cheap right now till the 1qth, and has a free demo mode that teaches you how to play the game.

My favorite base character is absolute zero, but he definitely takes some setup and weird thinking to play him right. He can be an absolute beast of a tank though, and I've had him outlast a supervillain with 3 dead teammates til he could finally wear him down.

For good starters Ra and Legacy make a great team backbone. Tempest is a great utility, able to heal, damage, and do some card play. Visionary is a situation support that tends to make her own situations. Tachyon can be your best team player or your worst nightmare depending on card draws. Focus on speeding through her deck to make your hits hit harder. Wraith is great for consistent damage, getting into ridiculous levels if you let her get set up. Bunker can do crowd control or single target takedowns as necessary. Haka works well in a beat them stupid strategy along with Ra and Legacy. Fanatic I can't quite speak on because I'm still learning how to play her effectively.

Best of luck! I really hope you enjoy it, it has become one of if not my favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AZ is the most complicated and difficult character in the base game and argubly more so than the expansion heroes too. I would not recommend touching him for a few games and then you might want to look up a guide on playing him first. Don't get me wrong, he's awesome and can carry the rest of the team in the right circumstances, but you really have to know what you are doing to pull that off.

As for the game in general, I though it was impossibly hard too the first few times I played it. Omnitron beat me repeatedly and even Baron Blade kept killing me. I stuck with it though and now can beat both of those villain the vast majority of the time.

So stick with it and it will get easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.