Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love so much about this game -- the way you interact with each other interests me so much more than traditional "build up and attack" games -- but the endgame feels like a letdown. We frequently have two players who can win and the other players are out of it and can only stand by or play kingmaker. It frequently comes down to turn order.

Then I played Scythe and it occurred to me that perhaps one could apply that game's victory conditions to this game. Maybe 10 prestige markers ends the game but doesn't win it, and you get points for things like you do in Scythe. Maybe, in addition to prestige points, you get:

Most colonies (5-3-1 as in Scythe)
Top of tech tracks (2 VP, friendly ties)
Money in treasury (1 point per coin)
Monopolies (2 VP per monopoly)
Diplomacy (-1,0,+1) per space depending on position relative to starting space

Those are off the top of my head and could probably be improved with group input but that's the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of having the 10th prestige be an end game trigger, rather than an auto-win is an interesting one, although I've not attempted to evaluate your suggestions for scoring. Next time I play I'll check this out and evaluate some different alternatives for points. (Other suggestions could include Strongest Navy, Biggest Merchant Fleet - maybe something for the Booming City etc?

Hmmm - it could lead to a lot of AP in the final turns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
The idea of having the 10th prestige be an end game trigger, rather than an auto-win is an interesting one, although I've not attempted to evaluate your suggestions for scoring. Next time I play I'll check this out and evaluate some different alternatives for points. (Other suggestions could include Strongest Navy, Biggest Merchant Fleet - maybe something for the Booming City etc?

I'd love to hear a report after your next play. I probably won't play again till next year's WBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:

This would be my biggest concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edelwise wrote:
Sounds really good.

Still, I'm worried that this would make the Sovereign quite unappealing. Since prestige won't matter and fleet size will, a player would mostly attack just to delay the end game and only if he's not worried about losing points for the biggest fleet.

I think that prestige should still score points along everything else.

Yes, prestige definitely should still count.

Quote:
Maybe, in addition to prestige points, you get:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe type scoring sounds quite good!

Incidentally even in the last turn or 2nd last turn you can do something to try to stop kingmaking.

"Money can be freely exchanged."

Do deals. Look where the booming city is. Would it change things if you moved the booming city? Would it change things if people worked together to put rebels in? Is there a way to manipulate turn order so the "winning" player goes last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ridgley
United States
Copperas Cove
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the idea of this sounds pretty good to me. Post some results to give us an idea of how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
msg tools
mb
This ain't Scythe. In fact, I hate the scoring system in Scythe. This game is good as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.