9 Posts

Pandemic: On the Brink» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mutation Event Cards Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilias Kokkotos - Andreou
Greece
flag msg tools
Hey everyone! I just got the On the Brink expansion and while it is certainly amazing in every way, there's something that really bugs me and cannot find the answer to; when a Mutation Event card is drawn it says it should be discarded to the Infection discard pile. How is that possible, given it comes from the player deck? Does that mean that the infection discard pile now also has these events and they can re-occur via the infection deck as a result of an Epidemic? To be honest, that doesn't make much sense to me, especially since the backs of the cards are different, so you'd see the event popping up on the infection deck. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there are two types of new cards in the Mutation challenge:

First, the Mutation cards, which have the same backs as the Infection cards. They start in the infection discard pile and are shuffled with the other Infection cards when the first Epidemic is drawn. For these the rulebook says to discard to the Infection discard pile.

Secondly, the Mutation Event cards, which have the same backs as the Player cards and get shuffled in there. Here the rulebook says to 'follow the instructions and discard it', when the card is drawn.

I don't know which language rulebook you have, but it is correct in the English one. You are of course completely right, that it makes no sense to discard the Mutation Event cards in the Infection discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Kokkotos - Andreou
Greece
flag msg tools
Quote:
Note that there are two types of new cards in the Mutation challenge:

First, the Mutation cards, which have the same backs as the Infection cards. They start in the infection discard pile and are shuffled with the other Infection cards when the first Epidemic is drawn. For these the rulebook says to discard to the Infection discard pile.

Secondly, the Mutation Event cards, which have the same backs as the Player cards and get shuffled in there. Here the rulebook says to 'follow the instructions and discard it', when the card is drawn.

I don't know which language rulebook you have, but it is correct in the English one. You are of course completely right, that it makes no sense to discard the Mutation Event cards in the Infection discard pile.

Well yes, I am perfectly aware of all that; I have the standard version of the game, in English. Again, my only problem is with the mutation event cards, which clearly state they are to be discarded in the infection discard pile. Thank you anyway for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my rulebook, it doesn't state that, just says to discard them (not specifies where).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When using the mutation challenge, there are two sets of mutation cards, one for the infection deck (horizontal cards), one for the player deck (vertical cards). The horizontal mutation cards will eventually start coming up when infecting cities each turn, and when they do, discard them like you would city cards. Yes that means these cards may present themselves again.

Note that these horizontal mutation cards actually start off in the infection discard pile, and wont be shuffled back into the infection draw deck until the first epidemic.

edit: The vertical mutation event cards are similar to epidemics. when you draw it, do what the card says, then discard it. These should be discarded to the player discard deck (vertical)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwned Pawn
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Two of the three Mutation Event cards tell the player to discard OTHER cards to the Infection Discard Pile (the same cards these Events tell you to DRAW from the Infection Deck). But at least in my printing, none of them instruct the player to discard the Mutation Event card ITSELF to the Infection Discard Pile.

Maybe the confusion is coming from the Mutation Event card that says "Discard these cards to the Infection Discard Pile" ? In that sentence, "these cards" is referring back to the 3 cards it told you to draw from the bottom of the Infection Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mjk89 wrote:
the mutation event cards, which clearly state they are to be discarded in the infection discard pile.

This is incorrect. Please reread the cards. I believe you are confusing how you discard the *cards that these events are telling you to draw* with what to do with the Mutation Event card itself (discard it in the player discard, per the rules and just like any other Event card).

From the OTB rules, page 4, Mutation Events: "When a Mutation Event card is drawn, follow its instructions and discard it. Do not draw a Player card to replace it."

This rule does NOT say to discard a Mutation Event card into the Infection discard pile. You discard it to the discard pile of the same deck you drew it from (the Player deck).

Mutation Event, The Mutation Spreads: "If the purple disease is not eradicated, draw 3 cards from the bottom of the Infection deck. Place 1 purple disease cube (only) on each of these cities. Discard *these cards* to the Infection Discard Pile." (emphasis added)

The antecedent of "these cards" is the *3 Infection cards* referred to in the first sentence, not the Mutation card itself. That's how the English language works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Kokkotos - Andreou
Greece
flag msg tools
I re-read the cards and you are all absolutely right, I don't know what confused us in the first place haha. Thanks for clearing that up anyway. Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We all "grab the wrong end of the stick" sometimes. It happens. No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.