15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: You Were Just Hired? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently? And finished a project? And might be looking for work in the near future? And have a portfolio you can post?

If so, please let me know. This is more of a general query and not a job offer. But I'm a bit tired of asking artists individually and want to have an idea of the actual potential hires there are available that hang around here.

This isn't a job offer. But I'm just looking to see who might be available for projects in the near future.

And as an aside, where do YOU find artists for hire? Here? Elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rozz
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is where you would find artists for hire on BGG. I recently worked with AnthonyAvon who has a post here who did a great job on my game. His rates are fair and he does excellent work. I would highly recommend him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:

This isn't a job offer. But I'm just looking to see who might be available for projects in the near future.

I suspect you probably won't get a huge response to such a message - if nothing else, a lot of artists seem to just come in, post their portfolio and leave. They'll quite possibly be available for work, but won't necessarily see your post.

(Not to mention that if you want art for a project, surely it's better to find an artist or two who does art you like in the style you want?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nikiforov
Russia
flag msg tools
Hello Robert, you can also make a job posting, and let artists and designers reply and write messages to you, if you dont want to individually hunt for them.

Bgg forums is a really good place to hire artists, you can also try freelancing websites, but level of artists there are much worse, and just a lot of troubles to find a professional one.

But you can also message me and get everything done:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1604158/artist-and-illu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniv Cahoua
Israel
flag msg tools
Well I am available,
Please visit my portfolio: http://www.yanivcahoua.com/
you can contact me at yaniv.cahoua@gmail.com if you have any question.
Yaniv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agri Karuniawan
msg tools
Hello, I am an artist and I am available for freelance work
Visit my thread here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22284374#22284374
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello...

I check regularly these forums, not daily when I am the level of busy (with board game projects) that I am now (luckily!). So, usually I see most offers, just not with a real practical reason when I am full of tasks, which tends to be frequent, lately. Just when a project or collaboration is ended, I pick another(learnt that can't carry more than 3 at a time...), often from here. I have a lot more sources for work, but I personally love with full passion BGG forums. Are my fav in the whole internet, and this counting on the ones about video games, world were I come from. This is the best community, by far, in terms of how friendly, polite, and so good to get info about board games(and virtually anything) it is. Just can't apply when already am at full...And can't intervene in threads as much as I used to do.

Right now I am not free, by any means, but might have a slot or so free soon. (maybe in weeks)
Multiple profiles, am not only an illustrator (graphic designer, 3d modeler, pixel artist, etc) (and yep, finished several projects, full time freelancer, and also finished even more video game projects, worked at companies, etc) :

http://cargocollective.com/yago

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniv Cahoua
Israel
flag msg tools
Dear Robert,

my name is Yaniv Cahoua I am a Science-Fiction & Fantasy illustrator.
I have a variety of styles and subject matters but I shine the most when painting environments.

Please visit my website at http://www.yanivcahoua.com/

Best,
Yaniv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
xhunterko wrote:

I suspect you probably won't get a huge response to such a message - if nothing else, a lot of artists seem to just come in, post their portfolio and leave. They'll quite possibly be available for work, but won't necessarily see your post.

(Not to mention that if you want art for a project, surely it's better to find an artist or two who does art you like in the style you want?)

Sorry. I'm just tired.

You have no money so you think you might be able to do a kickstarter or other funder to get that money. You've been out of work for 3 years so you have no savings and nothing to fall back on. So to start a kickstarter you need numbers. How do you get those? You email and message. Email and message. Email and message. And what do you get?

No and I'm busy. No and I'm busy. No and I'm busy. Well, okay, is there anyone else you'd recommend? Silence. Now what do you do? Okay fine. So you look at people's profiles and set up pages they've provided. You pm and email. Pm and email. Pm and email. And what do you get? Sorry I'm busy and no. Sorry I'm busy and no. Sorry I'm busy and no. Page 1, page 2, page 3 you go. Sorry I'm busy and no.

SO for once I decided to stop cold calling. Cause all I get is sorry I'm busy and no. And see if there's ACTUALLY ANYONE available and MAYBE work off that to see if I can't come up with numbers. Artists are expensive. And I can't just pull a number out of my foot and hope I don't overdraft. I checked one studio's fee for a couple weeks on their own project. $30000. Or something. I dunno I'm not that smart. So probably my math is wrong. Probably. No I can't go anywhere either. Did you miss the part about being out of work for 3 years with no money? If I can pull off a kickstarter with 600 followers or something I would. It's possible. I've seen that done before.

But quite honestly I can't do that on sorry I'm busy and no.

I'm just tired. Fed up. And completely frustrated. So I'll probably enter the work force soon.

If THAT doesn't tell me sorry I'm busy and no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence van der merwe
msg tools
I'm on and off on BBG mostly lurk. ;p

https://fauxfox.artstation.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Robert, I am sorry to hear you have gone through that.
I'm super curious though... To all those artists that you have emailed... You were very clear that you were offering payment? Because we artist tend to be quite starving, or, once we get lucky, yep busy. And that busy is because we mostly try to charge the least to indy people (for empathy and for practical reasons) we can, but still trying to keep it decent for us. This forces to work a lot, in many things. The just "I'm busy" answer sounds to me more typical from very famous artists tho, already established. But... Here's my advice, do not only rely on a big name or large portfolio. Skills can be seen in the quality of the drawings, anatomy, etc, etc. Quality can be found both in the big names and in a guy that has just started to promote a little, that has painted all his/her life in the home's basement, but happen to be a freaking genius. I've found several of this type.

The other reason for the "no, thanks, I'm busy", other than the fame, or simply an established contract with some large distributor/publisher which pays all the bills, or my case, doing indie projects here and there to survive, and still reach the end of the month very hardly, might as well be just in the way you are making the proposition.

If you tell them: I am broke, I can't pay you now, but will be able to once the kickstarter project gets successful, well, most artists have suffered a lot from promising projects, and that the almost 100% of the cases of that ends up in disaster. Indeed, am of the opinion that most Kickstarter projects do benefit on counting at least with some sort of little, small funding(sth even most broken individuals can put together, or with some friend/family help). IMO, the KS success is based in a good part in promotion, and that costs money, not only for some art to grab attention, is much more costs than that. Of course, still amazingly smaller than what you would need for the game production. Or if you tell them: I need you to make a free art sample with this or that theme, so that I can see if I could use your services in the future...that would automatically bring a 'no, thank you' from the artist, as that also ends up badly for the artist in too many cases.

Another reason might be offering way too little money for a piece, ie, like 15$ per card illustration. Or offering the well known share deal but no payment. That I for sure would only do with my very best friend I know since my childhood. Or someone from my family. And like me, most people (not only artists).

But I am deducing you are offering pay up front. So, I am curious, because there must be something in your cold letter (I think it's great I always am super kind with those, as we artist tend to run short of gigs, not the other way around. And also because shows initiative, I respect that, too.) which somehow rings some huge red flag alerts in them, otherwise, artist we are mostly starving and struggling, so, sth is happening there. And am almost sure must be sth just unfortunately expressed or written, not responding to a real problem, so, in your shoes I'd just review the cold letters, looking for the red flag(/s).

That said, I have to say that my relaxed and stable freelancing moments(years) are not my today ones, they were when I worked as part time graphic designer almost a decade and dedicated afternoons, evenings for freelancing. I was just *way* less happier than today, but less stressed. Maybe you are in a moment where, picking a not super absorbing job (if your area(and your profile/experience) can provide this freedom of choice) that only takes you till lunch time every day (or so) , so that you have almost half a day to mount your business. This way you might not only pay the personal bills, but even save some coins for at least some sample art (IMO--> best quality than quantity for that stage) to use as promotion for the kickstarter project. And mostly, your tired or bored sensation would go away (maybe some of this negative view leaked through in your cold letters, and people perceive that, too, same that would happen in a job interview. IMO, is not about faking a good spirit about it, is just carving really for one and building it up, no matter the difficulties found ). The more stable situation might remove a lot of stress, and allow you to build the project even if at a slower pace.

The thing is if you tell them you are broke, well, most of them are too, or in a collection of different financial problems, so that certainly wont attract them.

I'm of the opinion this forum section (not the whole forums) is watched by A LOT of indie graphic artists. probably not so much those with all solved working for Wizards of the Coast or whatever, but once again, is important to know that drawing/painting skills or capability to do good graphic design doesn't always have to go with established names or even just people with a super nice website.

So, IMO : If ALL your issues are finding an artist with the mountains of problems that brings making a board game, card game, video game, or whatever game, I would be extremely happy if I were you, because is already super strange that you have not your inbox saturated of proposals. The part time job thing(or full time if is not super hard), sth I see as the best bet to maintain any project, and is perfectly compatible with doing a kickstarter.

And because sometimes I have noticed that forum posts don't make sound, neither come with a voice tone (some bug in the forum code), I explicitly tell you this all is written with the most positive, best encouraging tone that could ever be used. Main message, it has to be just due to circumstances/coincidences, or that all have gone to holidays, or the above mentioned possibilities. But imo, I'd be inclined to think that is not the finding and artist issue, is that you see there are a lot more probs, mostly financial, that's why IMO for the peace of your soul, and surely happiness, the part time job is certainly a good idea.

And... probably this time have been spent by one of the most busy artists in this thread (not saying the best or even good, just busy ) , so I fly back to my Wacom before I get some incoming heat seeking missile ... ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Maloshenkov
msg tools
Hey I am always up to some work on dark\twisted fantasy and sci-fi

my thread here - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1610159/unique-art-your-moo...

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You have no money so you think you might be able to do a kickstarter or other funder to get that money. You've been out of work for 3 years so you have no savings and nothing to fall back on. So to start a kickstarter you need numbers. How do you get those? You email and message. Email and message. Email and message. And what do you get?

I'm unclear -- are you hoping to make a good living / profit off making a game? I think this is not a likely scenario -- the people who manage it spend years and sink lots of their own money into it before they start living off it.

If you have a design that's been playtested and is ready to go, it seems like networking with publishers is probably a better way to go for you -- they take care of the art, etc. Then you can work on your next design.

Best of luck, and stay strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all.

Thank you for your kind replies. I have been feeling rather down lately and I don't know when things will get better. Eventually I'll respond with another post replying to folks but honestly I don't think I can do that right now.

I will eventually check out the portfolios listed and if I get brave maybe send out an email or two but no promises. I'm just so tired but didn't want to leave this hanging.

Again, thank you all for your kind replies.

-Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Hoshide
United States
California
flag msg tools
Well, you have to pay your artists and offer up real money. We can't be expected to work for exposure or potential payment in the near/far future maybe ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.